Tags, tokens, relics, silver and bees...

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Made it out Sunday to my recent weekend spot. Continued to methodically steam roll the 6 ft weeds with my wooden barrel. Slow going at first, found most of an old cap gun. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507571535.878042.jpg Strategy is to drag the barrel to the top of the hill and let gravity and my left foot push it forward flattening the weeds while I hop and sweep with my right foot. Here is the only silver coin of the day in situ. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507572038.221275.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507572049.220173.jpg All the time on the lookout for the nasty burrs in this field. Yes, it is awkward and a workout and unfortunately you can't see what you are running over until you are over it. This includes very upset yellow jacket hornets who apparently did not like to have their home steamrolled. (Sorry, no pictures like Kurios...) First sting felt like a typical thorn, but saw the bee then immediately another stinging me on my other hand. I notice about 100 swarming around me so I grab my gear and start running, one more gets me in the belly. I call it a day with a couple handfuls. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507572166.213242.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507572010.898986.jpg I like the little pocket watch winder the best. My first one of these. The token is cool and I found a larger variety of this 1917 token earlier this summer. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507572306.787339.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507572314.788484.jpg

Silver to wheat ratio now at 39:142. I really want to get to 50 silver coins for the year...

Good luck out there!

Upvote 17

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
sweet finds i'm ready for the hornets wasp and bees to go away for the winter

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice watch winder Thad. I would love to see you and your barrel in action :laughing7:

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bees are bad right now. Especially the underground yellow jackets. I got rid of a giant underground nest for my neighbor without one sting. Must have been hundreds in it. Congrats on the nice finds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The bees are bad right now. Especially the underground yellow jackets. I got rid of a giant underground nest for my neighbor without one sting. Must have been hundreds in it. Congrats on the nice finds.

The yellow jackets are very aggressive this fall. A woman and her daughter were attacked one township south of me. She got over 100 stings and her daughter 2 dozen stings. Apparently she was just walking the trail. She's out of the hospital and fine now.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice watch winder Thad. I would love to see you and your barrel in action :laughing7:

Picture a circus performer on a barrel, but with a metal detector... I need to get back into some pure 1800's virgin, litter free homestead soil again... it's out there!

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Considering all you went through to hunt you had a good number of finds. Yes the yellow jackets are at their peak now and will all die off after a good frost. Be safe hunting!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The pocket watch winder is the treasure! I found my first one a couple of months ago. Mine is a bit wonky though.

Yours is complete and sweet!

The little gray Merc is cool too. Well done sir.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds for the effort.

I saw a-lot of yellow jackets in mid Summer but now most nests I see are dug out but the Armadillos that are moving North.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool token !

in case you wondered

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507572010.898986.jpg

Needle Threader

DSCF0005.JPG

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool token, but could explain what it means. I don't understand.

From what I understand in 1917 the Pittsburgh Farmers Savings Bank was trying to get farmers to open savings accounts. The tokens were an incentive. With this token the bank would add 1/2 cent to a farmers new account, the other token I found was for 2 cents. Crazy to think this was much of an incentive.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it looks like an early Come-on to get people to open savings accounts with their bank.

Like some banks used to offer a toaster, a gun,
or other premium to open an account

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My bee is friendlier.

1009171716.jpg

Thats some serious work. Glad you scored silver.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on exploiting that site for it's treasures. Like the other I love the winder. We all love silver and cool tokens. I pull one of those for a bank in Cleveland Ohio. I'd much rather dig a cool token over clad any day.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must confess, your well articulated description of events on this hunt had me laughing pretty good mate!:laughing9: First of all steam rolling vegetation?:icon_scratch: I thought I would be the ONLY one bonkers enough to consider such a strategy. I reckon "passionate" is a better term for your strong desire to get the treasure you are seeking. Your break down on the KILLER BEES was just too funny. Glad you aren't allergic or nothing terrible happened to you. It would have been a tremendously popular live dig video on YouTube!:headbang:

Great score on the tiny watch winder. Way cool tiny treasure for sure. I got one this spring in a cornfield laying on the surface. Love it. Nice dark patina on your Merc. Cool token and needle threading tool. I have one of them around here somewhere???? Love your well written posts. This steam rolling technique is putting a challenge to the rest of us for how earnestly we go after the goodies!:icon_salut:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread