What's new

Take A Second Look At Those Books!

I do it all the time, only the older books though. All I have to show for it was an old check for $0.25 from the forties. Still neat, but not as neat as some of the other stuff you guys are finding

HH
-GC
 
Excellent - Thanks for sharing that great tip. Wish I new that when I was an assistant book binder years ago.
It may have supplemented my income.
 
I tried this recently at a Savers (kinda like Goodwill). Found a folded up piece of paper with a hand-drawn dress pattern on it and in an old book about Nazi war officers I found a rusty nail file. :-\ Still like this idea though.
 
Don't get so caught up in lookin for money that you forget to check if the books are a first printing. Some of those, even more modern books that are first printings are worth some big $.
 
Cool tips and ideas!

All the best,

Lanny
 
LOL, I deal in books. Go through hundreds a week sometimes, and I have never found money. Yoo lucky bastids. :icon_thumright:
 
I know a guy who found a St. Gaudens double in the spine of a book he bought at a garage sale.
 
When my father passed away my brother and I were going through the book case next to his chair trying to decide if they were keepers or going to the used book store. My father never a fan of the govt or banks had been putting all his money in these books. $2000.00 He didn't have much just his retirement so we used it for his cremation.
 
How do you know if its a first printing? Will it say first printing or first run somewhere?
 
It will say on the title page 1st edition and the date. There are also some cool scanner apps for your phone if you have a newer edition valuable book. I like to scan books from yard sales and see how much they are on eBay and if it's an expensive book you can resell it.
 
I found a Kuwait Dinar note in a paperback book that I got at a California library sale.

:)
 
How do you know if its a first printing? Will it say first printing or first run somewhere?

Most every publisher used/uses a different method to define their TRUE First Editions.
You'll have to do the research to learn what the particular "points" are for the 1st and
later editions, as often it can be as little difference as one letter on the title page, the color
of the boards, a mis-spelling on a specific page, etc.

When it comes to determining the true 1st Ed. status of any valuable book you're
far better of taking it to a legit bookman and have them verify or determine it for
you.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom