Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Gidday all

The Order of the Templar Knights (technically The Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon) were founded just following the First Crusade of 1096. The Order was initially formed to protect European pilgrims to Jerusalem and back following the conquest. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The Knights received official endorsement by the Catholic Church in 1129 and flourished, growing in strength and wealth, until 1307, when bankrupt King Philip IV obtained permission from Pope Clement V to put an end to the Order.

Many members in France and elswehere were rounded up, charged with heresy, tortured, and burned at the stake. The order was officially disbanded in 1312 AD,

For those who have never seen what the coins Templar used in money transactions. See pictures bellow.

templar-tournois-CM2508.jpg

Templar-tournois-CM2566.jpg

templar-tournois-CM2597.jpg

What you will see is the Templar cross on their coins. But they was not the only ones to put crosses on their coins.

Baldwin-Jerusalem-CM2551.jpg

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Crusaders, Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem. Baldwin III, 1143-1163 AD. Billon denier, Jerusalem mint. Crusader cross pattée, BALdVINVS REX / Tower of David

One things this helps explain that the cross motive is not solely a Templar motif.

Crow
[/SIZE][/FONT]

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Kings of France and elswhere during the Templars:

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]During the turbulent time of the Knights Templar, various kings of France and the Crusader States minted coinage that was circulated, banked, and used by the Templars. Below is a list of those rul[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]ers:

[/SIZE][/FONT]

• [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Philip I (1060--1108 AD) was in power when the Templars banded together and formed the Order[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Louis VI (1108--1137 AD) Templars granted endorsement from the Catholic Church in 1129 AD[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Bohemund of Antioch[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Louis VII (1137--1180 AD)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Henry of Anjou[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Philip II "Augustus" (1180--1223 AD)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Louis VIII (1223--1226 AD)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Louis IX (1226--1270 AD)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Philip III (1270--1285 AD)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Philip IV Le Bel "The Fair" (1285--1314 AD) arrested the Knights Templar, torture and execution.[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Louis X (1314-1316) ruler of France during official disbanding of the Templar Knights[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Philip V (1316-1322 AD) King of France as surviving Templars went into hiding...[/SIZE][/FONT]

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
After 1289, a decline in Saxony's silver production, Created problems for Europe as Pilgrims was taking silver from Europe to go on pilgrimage and pay Templars. Declining silver production as well as war forced Philip of France to debase the currency.

The scarcity of silver peaked in the mid-15th century throughout Europe. Silver mines started to slump in output during the 14th century, partly due to the economic toll of the Black Death, as well as an inability to access and mine silver at greater depths due to an inability to prevent the mines from flooding. It was the later Spanish discoveries of silver in the new world that dragged Europe out of the middle ages into Renaissance.

No doubt many Templar coins was melted down and re struck into different currency. I am totally amazed how many Templar coins have survived. Many in poor condition.

medieval-cross-coins-lot-65-total_1_c9b758e7147346be053eb7296c90520d.jpg

And some in astounding good condition. Some have been placed even into jewellery.

templar-tournois-CM2730.jpg

What is truly amazing so many of these coins have survived over 700 hundred years. To the point they are not particularly rare.

Crow

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
[SIZE=-1]Gidday all

The Order of the Templar Knights (technically The Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon) were founded just following the First Crusade of 1096. The Order was initially formed to protect European pilgrims to Jerusalem and back following the conquest. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The Knights received official endorsement by the Catholic Church in 1129 and flourished, growing in strength and wealth, until 1307, when bankrupt King Philip IV obtained permission from Pope Clement V to put an end to the Order.

Many members in France and elswehere were rounded up, charged with heresy, tortured, and burned at the stake. The order was officially disbanded in 1312 AD,

For those who have never seen what the coins Templar used in money transactions. See pictures bellow.

View attachment 1885934

View attachment 1885935

View attachment 1885937

What you will see is the Templar cross on their coins. But they was not the only ones to put crosses on their coins.

View attachment 1885946

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Crusaders, Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem. Baldwin III, 1143-1163 AD. Billon denier, Jerusalem mint. Crusader cross pattée, BALdVINVS REX / Tower of David

One things this helps explain that the cross motive is not solely a Templar motif.

Crow
[/SIZE]

Celestial event or a mark of possession?
Possession.JPG

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Celestial event or a mark of possession?
View attachment 1886160

Gidday amigo

The problem is amigo its too easy to make assumptions. I guess the reasoning behind it will never be known for sure?

I notice a JW below. Clearly the site is a contaminated site of modern graffiti over the top of possibly earlier marks. In many parts of the world humans have a distinct habit to create graffiti. Even over the top of much older carvings as such. Such a act of vandalism of history.

Alas as an example I am guilty of that myself being young and dumb and beg forgiveness. As a teenager bored after hiking in the mountains I carved Templar Cross many years ago on a rock face. It was soft sandstone and essay to carve. What made me carve a cross it was and easy thing to do? One vertical ling and one horizontal line. Was there any intention to make it no. It was hard to get back into the bored brain of a teenager now on the question why?

Years later er...more years than I care to admit. I have many people contact me amigos and ONE person contacted insistent that he had found Templar markings. Looking at the markings I had to look twice for it had been so long then he went on describes the area and rockface. Then it twigged er............

However that individual had place his hopes and dreams that he had made some sort of magical discovery. And he developed a fantastical theory about them and wanted to write a book. It was a classic example of some times simple graffiti can be actually taken out of context.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Crosses can be found all around the world and even some that look like a Templar cross. But that does not mean Templars carved them?

The cross and various versions of the motive was common long after the Templars. So can see it in the Spanish iconic piece of eight.

LOOSE-MX1.jpg

The cross being one of powerful recognizable motif of Christianity. Here is a Portuguese coin from Vasco De Gamas time. 1502 to 1503.

VASGO DE GAMA TIME 15TH CENURY..jpg

Along Canada and norther part of of USA eastern seaboard Portuguese did some exploration and a some mapping. Bay of Fundy and nova Scotia. Maine in early 16th century. If any earlier motif was carved on rocks other than latter modern graffiti. then its origins from early Portuguese explorers.

If I was to look for Templar treasure hoards it would be in Palestine, Israel or Syria. Even Rhodes and Cyprus. France and England. Templar coins was in so much use the coins if buried in a cache may of not been buried by Templars at all? But by the general population burying small caches of Templar money out of fear of invasion and looting.

Crow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Another case in question is England searching on the properties once held by the Templars. Where there is the possibility of small caches being found?

Andrew Paul from England was re-visiting an old permission he had had strong success with in the past. On his return, he received a loud blast through his headphones and quickly unearthed a beautiful silver Knights Templar coin.

templar coin.jpg

So amigos there are areas you can search for Templar treasure Amigo but ya have to drag you ass out of the states.

Crow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Another case in question in 2012 a pot of gold from the Crusades worth up to $500,000 has been found buried in an ancient Roman fortress in Israel. It was found by an American Archeological student that was given permission to detect the 13th century archeological layer in the room below.

article-2171883-140405A9000005DC-504_634x468.jpg

The coins were buried by Christian soldiers of the order of the Knights Hospitalier as the Crusaders faced an unstoppable attack by a huge Muslim army.The knights were annihilated in April 1265.

article-2171883-1403D649000005DC-255_634x357.jpg

The coins - worth a fortune even in 1265 when they were thought to have been buried - were deliberately hidden inside a broken jug to prevent them being discovered.The fortress was destroyed in April 1265 by forces of Mamluks who overwhelmed the Crusaders - and the treasure only survived due to the quick thinking of one of the defenders.

article-2171883-14040601000005DC-472_634x424.jpg

While not Templar treasure in itself it does highlight the chaotic last years the Templars and crusaders in the holy land.

The fall of Acre was especially traumatic as thousands of Christians, knights Templars, priests nuns were put to the sword. I have no doubt in the 13 century layers of Acre today must be hoards of Templar Money hidden in nooks and crannies. Even the beaches and shoreline may yield coins? There was a description thousands fleeing in panic trying to get to ships in harbor. Many drowned in the surf.

So if one was to make a practical search for Templar Treasure one must cannot overlook the logical places to search.

Crow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
While not Templar money. Archaeologists with the National Center for Scientific Research and other institutions in France revealed in 2017 have unearthed 2,200 silver deniers and oboles, 21 Islamic gold dinars, a very expensive gold signet ring and other objects made of gold from the Abbey of Cluny, located in the department of Saône-et-Loire.

0442e195c10895d1d458a88dbf95d324a56234b3f60b258d846ee341cb3cca33.jpg

According to Anne Baud and Anne Flammin, the researchers who led the dig, never before has such a large cache of silver deniers been discovered. They also said that finding such a large amount of silver pieces together with Arab gold coins and a signet ring was a very rare occurrence.

Archaeologists-find-buried-treasure-at-Abbey-of-Cluny-in-France.jpg

WEB-Signet-ring-from-Cluny-treasure-2017.jpg

tresor_cluny_1.png

It is a good example of the dispersal of money. Invariably it was most likely looted or obtained through trade in the Holy land then through either pilgrims of Templars or crusades brought back to France.

Another factor to consider Templar money was so mainstream a hoard of Templar coins found does not mean it was buried by a Templar knight?

Crow

Last edited:

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Gidday amigo

Alas as an example I am guilty of that myself being young and dumb and beg forgiveness. As a teenager bored after hiking in the mountains I carved Templar Cross many years ago on a rock face. It was soft sandstone and essay to carve. What made me carve a cross it was and easy thing to do? One vertical ling and one horizontal line. Was there any intention to make it no. It was hard to get back into the bored brain of a teenager now on the question why?

Years later er...more years than I care to admit. I have many people contact me amigos and ONE person contacted insistent that he had found Templar markings. Looking at the markings I had to look twice for it had been so long then he went on describes the area and rockface. Then it twigged er............

However that individual had place his hopes and dreams that he had made some sort of magical discovery. And he developed a fantastical theory about them and wanted to write a book. It was a classic example of some times simple graffiti can be actually taken out of context.

Crow
Was this the one by any chance? 6DFF343E-B2AC-4104-B95C-3770C75271A9.jpeg

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Amigo that would be a long shot chance in a million.:laughing7:

No amigo it was not the Overton stone that was some other bored teenagers work.:tongue3:

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Acre is one of the best places to look for Templar treasure.

a Crusader-era shipwreck recently found in the bay of Acre has been dated to the time of the desperate last stand by a handful of knights and mercenaries on the walls of the city. Acre is now part of northern Israel. Here is below a modern computer generated image of Templar fortress of how it looked. The 300 Templars who held out in the castle was tricked into surrendering only to end up having their heads cut off. Today the original fortress has almost disappeared.

1_castle.jpg

Here is the location of the old harbor below where the shipwreck was found.

1_rocks-2324357.jpg

The wreck had been severely damaged by dredging. But parts of the timber hull, including its keel, survived. However with the wreck gold coins was found dated to the time of the fall Acre.

gold templar coins from the fall of acre.JPG

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread