What's new

Ten Antique Bottles Found Alongside River

farmdump

Full Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
163
Reaction score
104
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went down to the river today and decided to dig in a new location beside an old rock foundation for a store. Well, it didn't take long before I was hitting pieces of China and then after that bottles started popping out everywhere. In total I ended up digging probably around 12 bottles but some of them had white pieces inside and some of them smelled like they had once housed chemicals so I decided not to bring them back. In all though it ended up being a great day:)

P.S: On the long bottle with the letter on the bottom I was wondering if anyone could inform me on what the capital "B" means? I have a relative idea on how old it's but I wasn't sure what that letter meant on the bottom.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448150124.747640.webp

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448150150.011765.webp

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448150163.828278.webp

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448150177.911423.webp

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448150192.582177.webp

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448150206.114836.webp

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448150219.238270.webp

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448150232.900298.webp
 
Upvote 26
I'm not a bottle person, but those look like great finds!

aj
 
Thanks!
 
Nice job on the old glass. I don't know much about old bottles but i sure do like looking at them.
 
Maybe Buck Glass Co., Balt. Maryland,, 1909-1961
 
Very nice collection of old bottles! The table they are on looks very interesting (old?).
 
Yeah it's an old farm table.
 
And digging440yrs, from researching the Buck Glass Company it seems that when they made their bottles they would include a distinctive circle around the B on the bottom which is not present, so maybe it's an older company that was around in the late 1880s or 90s?
 
My ref. books show no circle on buck glass co. Circle around 'B' would be Brockway glass co.
 
Don't know much about bottles but I keep all the ones that look good or old or both to me. They had so much more character than today's stuff.
 
Alright well I guess the information I saw on Buck Glass co. online might not have been true but I can almost guarantee that by the color of the bottle and the molding on the sides it was made before 1900, most likely the 1890s.
 
And quela4 I agree, the bottles that were made before the age of machine-made bottles really do show off just how much detail they put into each bottle from the coloring to the wording on the sides. And also, it really does feel good to find a bottle that has been sitting either in the dirt or on a riverbank for over 100 years because then it allows you to display it and research the company name that's embossed on the bottle which is probably one of the best parts of the discovery.
 
Nice bottles, love the farm table too
 
Great looking finds! I've found several down at the river close to my hse. Nice!
 
Nice finds. I like 'em all.

I found a great bottle dump pretty far in the woods last spring. I went back about three weeks ago and they had bulldozed 65 acres to put up more McMansions.
It almost made me sick. The entire area is destroyed and I have no clue where the dump is now.

I still may poke around with a detector though. They may have unearthed a few treasures. You never know.
 
Great digs. :icon_thumleft: If you post some pics over in the glass and bottles forum you might get more info on your old glass.

HH
 
Very nice collection of bottles. I definitely would have taken those home. Congrats
 
If I could tear myself away from digging coins, I have a couple great sites to dig bottles. Nice finds!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom