S Slog Tenderfoot Joined Mar 12, 2014 Messages 2 Reaction score 0 Golden Thread 0 Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Mar 16, 2014 Thread Owner #1 Any guesses, since photo was taken an edge has been sanded and polished to almost mirror shine. Highly magnetic, feels heavy. It almost looks like it has thumbprints. So I assume it's solid iron? Steel? Slag? Meteorite? Attachments image.webp 114.8 KB · Views: 184 image.webp 169.7 KB · Views: 181
Any guesses, since photo was taken an edge has been sanded and polished to almost mirror shine. Highly magnetic, feels heavy. It almost looks like it has thumbprints. So I assume it's solid iron? Steel? Slag? Meteorite?
Gold007 Full Member Joined May 3, 2013 Messages 116 Reaction score 16 Golden Thread 0 Detector(s) used Ace 250 and Garrett pin pointer. I want a Garrett GTI 2500 or an AT Gold. Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Mar 16, 2014 #2 It has sharp edges on some areas. Meteorites don't have sharp edges. Do a window test on it or an acid test perhaps both.
It has sharp edges on some areas. Meteorites don't have sharp edges. Do a window test on it or an acid test perhaps both.
S Slog Tenderfoot Joined Mar 12, 2014 Messages 2 Reaction score 0 Golden Thread 0 Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Mar 19, 2014 Thread Owner #3 I did some research, and I have noticed a lot of meteorite specimens with sharp edges, although generally they do not have sharp edges. What kind of acid test do you recommend? I have noticed there are a couple different ways.
I did some research, and I have noticed a lot of meteorite specimens with sharp edges, although generally they do not have sharp edges. What kind of acid test do you recommend? I have noticed there are a couple different ways.
Gold007 Full Member Joined May 3, 2013 Messages 116 Reaction score 16 Golden Thread 0 Detector(s) used Ace 250 and Garrett pin pointer. I want a Garrett GTI 2500 or an AT Gold. Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Mar 19, 2014 #4 Slog said: I did some research, and I have noticed a lot of meteorite specimens with sharp edges, although generally they do not have sharp edges. What kind of acid test do you recommend? I have noticed there are a couple different ways. Click to expand... Iron/Nickel acid test. You can buy it at a drug store like CVS I think. Yes, some iron meteorites do have sharp edges.
Slog said: I did some research, and I have noticed a lot of meteorite specimens with sharp edges, although generally they do not have sharp edges. What kind of acid test do you recommend? I have noticed there are a couple different ways. Click to expand... Iron/Nickel acid test. You can buy it at a drug store like CVS I think. Yes, some iron meteorites do have sharp edges.
Gold007 Full Member Joined May 3, 2013 Messages 116 Reaction score 16 Golden Thread 0 Detector(s) used Ace 250 and Garrett pin pointer. I want a Garrett GTI 2500 or an AT Gold. Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting Mar 19, 2014 #5 Here is some more tests to do at home. http://meteorite-identification.com/streak.html
M Mr Guppy Greenie Joined Mar 29, 2011 Messages 10 Reaction score 1 Golden Thread 0 Dec 17, 2014 #6 https://hillscloud.wordpress.com/trans-neptunian-object-crust-tno-crust-meteorwrongs-2/