Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone?

Certainly there has to be someone out there that has used/owned both.

Which do you favor?

Thanks,

Dan

I didn't see the first post you made, but I have the GTI 1500. In my book it is a nice detector and easy to use. That said, the Tesoro is a little better in my book. Most VLF detectors will find gold rings so long as you DON'T discriminate out pull tabs. Around 90% of the rings will be in this range. If you only want coins you can disc out the tabs if you are hunting parks, but you might lose nickels.

I've never used a Garrett machine so I cannot comment on those, but if you are looking for a coinshooting machine the cortes is just that... It can really pick the coins out... and is so simple to use and very light weight to swing for long periods.

When I go out I let my 9 year old daughter use the cortes and I use the M6 and we bring in lots of clad at the local soccer fields and parks.

Dan B,

The Garrett GTI 1500 is a fine machine,no doubt about it. The adjustable search frequency (7.2 kHz base) is a nice touch. The Cortes is about 1.2 pounds lighter than the Garrett and has superb balance. The 1500 has touchpad controls and the Cortes has knobs and toggles, depends on which one you prefer. The 1500 shows size and depth, the Cortes has the "raise coil" visual that is similar. I think the outstanding feature of the Cortes is the "second level" of discrimination that is available by using the "sum mode". I have more experience with the Cortes than the 1500, but if you have any other specific questions let me know. Joe

Thanks for the responses. Just one question, Joe. How does the "raise the coil" message show size and depth? It's my understanding that this is a response to an overload situation, which would probably be surface trash. Is that what you meant?

Dan

Dan B,

Sorry if I implied that the Cortes "raise the coil" readout is the same as the Garrett size readout, it is not. I was only trying to compare similar features of the two machines. The Garrett size readout would be the better of the two features. You are absolutely correct that the Cortes "raise the coil" readout is in response to an overload or saturation condition. Thank you for pointing out the confusion in my comment. Joe

Hi Joe,

How would the GTI 2500 compare to the 1500 or the Cortes? I see people selling them all the time on Ebay, usually for the price of a new Cortes. Is the 2500 really a high end machine? It always seems that when high end machines are discussed (like the DFX or Explorers) the GTI 2500 is conspicuously absent.

I would be interested in your opinion on that.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan B,

As I said in my earlier post my experience with the Garrett machines is limited. I'm a Tesoro dealer,but not a Garrett dealer. You would be better served if someone else answered the question of the Garrett 2500. My take on the 2500 is that it is set up to also function as a relic hunter where the 1500 is not. I would be also interested in hearing from someones comments as to the advantages of the 2500 over the 1500. ( The 2500 weights in at 4.6 pounds, that's getting up there in weight.) Joe

Dan B,

everything JOE(USA) said:
lighter,
balance,
also a very fast pickup on targets.
I went with a DeLeon because of the
larger display over the Cortes.
I'm using it with a small coil in trash areas
and consider it my back-up. Also must
mention the Lifetime warranty. It will
always be there ;D :D ;)

I have more experience with the 1500.

I love the 1500. ;)

have a good un.................
SHERMANVILLE

The GTI is a pretty decent detector that will basically 'keep up' with any other high end detector. It has a few problems though. These are: 1) Gawdawful armrest that was designed for Popeye, not a real human being. 2) So-called 'Ramrod' design that just SCREAMS cheap. C'mon Garrett, I could call a turd a donut, but nobody but a creep would believe me (much less eat it). Go back to the camlocks. 3) The smallest imaging coil is waaayyyyyy too big. If the people at Garrett were on the ball, they would incorporate the GTP sizing capability into the GTI 2500 alonside the imaging. This way the non-imaging coils could be used to give a 'size'. It's kinda stupid to cripple the flagship model in such a manner. 4) Green. Other than these 'problems', it's a pretty kicka$$ detector. Up here in B.C. it will leave a Sov./Excalibur behind, choking in it's dust. ..Willy.

Getting off topic here it seems but you can't really compare the GTI 2500 to any of the two afore mentioned machines. It's in a different league. I hunt with the GTI 2500 and it is a heavy dude and being slightly handicapped it wears me out much faster than a lighter faster machine. But if it's there and you know your machine, it will find it. As far as the 1500 and the Cortes, the only advantage I see for the 1500 is the graphics are a bit better, however it is a heavier machine. Six of one half dozen of another. Strange as it may seem, I prefer my little ACE 250 to either one of them. Disadvantage to the ACE is no adjustaable ground balance. Monty

Hi all,

about to purchase a secondhand GTI 1500 for all around use but also to track down some caches I believe I have 'located'. Will the GTI1500 with 12.5" scorcher non-imaging coil give me a depth of 2 ft if I learn to tweak it? This would be very clean rural ground usually.

Thanks for the advice.

Two feet? No! Perhaps ten inches or even a foot with ideal conditions. Monty

Thanks Monty,

appreciate that.

What could get me down 2 feet (and that's my primary interest here, not an all-rounder so much) and not cost more than 400 bucks? Without straying too far off the OP!!

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but a shovel! Seriously , If you could find a PI machine for that much money , it might go that deep, but if you are talking two feet and deeper you are talking lots of $$$$! I have read claims of finding something at two feet, but with a high dollar detector and I am a little skeptical about that. Perhaps a two box adapter for a Garrett GTI 2500, but you are looking at a couple thousand dollars. Monty

Monty said:
Not trying to be a smart a$$, but a shovel! Seriously , If you could find a PI machine for that much money , it might go that deep, but if you are talking two feet and deeper you are talking lots of $$$$! I have read claims of finding something at two feet, but with a high dollar detector and I am a little skeptical about that. Perhaps a two box adapter for a Garrett GTI 2500, but you are looking at a couple thousand dollars. Monty

;D ;D I hear ya.

Well I have a fairly good idea of where one or two of the caches may be, based on depressions in the ground but, for various reasons, I don't want to dig this area too often :wink: A quick in and out job shall we say. So I think I WILL take your advice and go with the shovel route to get me down a foot or so and then use a good probe and / or GTI 1500 which I plan to buy at a bargain price. If what I believe is down there turns out to be true, then I get me a good 2-box ;D

Appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back