Tesoro Laid Off ALL of the Factory Staff

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw where someone called today and got a message saying closed to Wednesday. Strange...

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My understanding is Tesoro is still honoring warranties. I know there is at least 1 engineer there as I talked to him after the layoffs and was told they are still open, that the factory staff was laid off. Also my understanding is they have done this a couple times in their 38 year history.

Truly hope so. Maybe they're getting all their ducks in a row to start on some new marketing and tech. I guess one can only hope.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think Tesoro could just downsize rather than to go completely under. Even if extreme measures were needed like a 10-12 person staff.,,.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they make a great machine at a fair price with an UNBEATABLE warranty....but i do see where, at this day in time, they could be struggling with so many companies making detectors and the majority of customers being drawn to the latest and the greatest of technology. I just hope we see American made Tesoro's around for another decade....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too many assumptions, not enough facts. It is very possible in a short amount of time they will be back, days, a week or two. Lots of things could have happened, including a "time out". I do not know. Now if there were a bankruptcy, there would be court documents. If a sale, then legal document filing with the State of Arizona to show it. Always a paper trail. Something is up for sure.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with smokey here....alot of possibilities right now.....I work for one of the biggest beer companies in the world and our plant has ALOT more employees than Tesoro. I have seen times when equipment needed upgrading and most of this plant would been down for a while so they would offer time off including vacation time or even temporary layoffs. This could be a good thing...who knows right now?

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much point paying folks to build detectors which are just piling up on the warehouse. They have no US distribution that I know of besides the independent MD dealers - and they are a dying breed mostly.

The detectors they built 20 years ago are just as good as the ones that they were building last week. There are tens of thousands of them out there still working (or in closets, but still capable of working fine).

Tough to compete with that when you have nothing to offer which surpasses decades old models.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All they need is a guy to jump out of a plane with a parachute holding a new model Tesoro. Then, they would be back in the game...

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much point paying folks to build detectors which are just piling up on the warehouse. They have no US distribution that I know of besides the independent MD dealers - and they are a dying breed mostly.

The detectors they built 20 years ago are just as good as the ones that they were building last week. There are tens of thousands of them out there still working (or in closets, but still capable of working fine).

Tough to compete with that when you have nothing to offer which surpasses decades old models.[/QUOTE]

Sir, your statements are rediculous at best....so if a motor company makes cars that last for ever, they should go out of business??? These machines (the HOT units) are still being used to compare the depth and recovery speed of todays top models. Plenty of people still love these machines, and there are still plenty being sold, not as many as garrett or minelab, etc. but i seriously doubt Tesoro has the overhead of those companies either. Everyone doesn't like chicken....meaning a XP Deus or CTX3030 is not for everyone......

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
I would think Tesoro could just downsize rather than to go completely under. Even if extreme measures were needed like a 10-12 person staff.,,.

we may all be in denial (not a river in eqypt) but i am hopefull they can work this out!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007

Tough to compete with that when you have nothing to offer which surpasses decades old models.

Sir, your statements are rediculous at best....so if a motor company makes cars that last for ever, they should go out of business??? These machines (the HOT units) are still being used to compare the depth and recovery speed of todays top models. Plenty of people still love these machines, and there are still plenty being sold, not as many as garrett or minelab, etc. but i seriously doubt Tesoro has the overhead of those companies either. Everyone doesn't like chicken....meaning a XP Deus or CTX3030 is not for everyone......[/QUOTE]

this is true! tesoros being a 2 pole design are extemely quick in the "junk",comparable to the best digital designs available.they get excellent depth overall.the analog design is still a "viable" platform that
produces.IF you learn the "nuances" of the single tone,you will challenge top of the line detectors! .never forget!..a man who uses just ONE detector,and knows it well,is a very dangerous competitor indeed!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Last edited:

happycamper08

Sep 27, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this would be sad .they been dumpin' their trash on us for years..it's gotta stop!
the trade imbalance is unsustainable!..they copy everything,and undermine our economy.
a chinese tesoro! jeeeeze!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Or malaysia.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will know fairly soon. My Cibola still kicks it. It has still found my BEST items. The things don't break, they don't have to really compare or compete with a bells and whistles machine. Remember folks, some people can't or won't get an expensive machine. Do they have a warehouse full? I don't know. Is that an assumption? And with the internet, and a few walk in dealers, it doesn't matter about distribution. I may buy a couple more if they are going out, as the prices I would think will drop.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I checked with Kellyco and here is what they say:

Attachments

• k.jpg
    k.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 477

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to my Kellyco contacts yesterday, Tesoro is still shipping detectors to Kellyco, I called and talked to Tesoro, they said they have not closed their doors, warranties are still be honored and that they laid off the factory workers.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to my Kellyco contacts yesterday, they said Tesoro is still shipping detectors to Kellyco, that per Tesoro they have not closed their doors, warranties are still being honored.

Who knows, they could have enough detectors made to last couple months with our producing more, ex-employees may be able to answer that as I do not know if that is the case, just a possibility.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this is a TRUE layoff, in some weeks or so, the stock will be reduced and more product will be made. There will always be a market for these mid range and low dollar cost machines.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious how much of Tesoro's sale is outside the US. Here in Europe, Tesoro's are 50% more expensive then in the US and only have 1 or 2 year guarantee. In this situation Tesoro lost 2 of 3 of their biggest advantages over other Brands. With this conditions it is hard to compete against the big dogs like Minelab, XP, Garrett, Fisher etc. Don't get me wrong, i love Tesoro and still have 4 of them but for all these 4 detectors i'm the second owner. None of them i bought new. My favorite Tesoro the Lobo Super Traq cost here in Belgium 999 euro (=1.148 euro). This is crazy when you can buy both an XP Deus or Minelab Equinox 600 for 760 euro (=873 dollar)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread