Tesoro Laid Off ALL of the Factory Staff

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I haven't been around on here the last three weeks as I was doing a lot of detecting (70+ hours) with two guys I use to hunt with so this is news to me. Even if they went out of business which I hope doesn't happen, I'd still buy a Tesoro. Not overly impressed by the overly hyped EQ 800. That's the reason I wait at least a year before I buy a new machine on the market.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
If this is a TRUE layoff, in some weeks or so, the stock will be reduced and more product will be made. There will always be a market for these mid range and low dollar cost machines.

absolutely! especially tesoros.. a genuine "kick a*s detector!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
If this is a TRUE layoff, in some weeks or so, the stock will be reduced and more product will be made. There will always be a market for these mid range and low dollar cost machines.

There will always be a market except it's a shrinking market. There selling old technology. Lifetime warranty is not always the best factor to look for in choosing a detector. It seems the company hit a mark and never went past it. Even there website is out dated. Nothing on social media. What happened? Don't know but I'm not surprised.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you ever want to sellthat 77B to someone who will cherish it . let me know

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DOWNANDOUT, so sorry to hear about the loss of your job along with all the others. This was truly a shock. Tesoro has always built quality metal detectors and they were always a front runner with the Lifetime warranties. I felt that this was a standard that some of the other companies should have followed. Prayers said that maybe things can be worked out and Tesoro gets back to the business of building quality detectors, and her employees back to work.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All they need is a guy to jump out of a plane with a parachute holding a new model Tesoro. Then, they would be back in the game...
They would really grab attention if he forgot the parachute

Arkie

Feb 16, 2017
NE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Tejon, Lobo LST (2), Shadow X2, Bandido 2 Umax, Silver Sabre Umax, Mojave, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There will always be a market except it's a shrinking market. There selling old technology. Lifetime warranty is not always the best factor to look for in choosing a detector. It seems the company hit a mark and never went past it. Even there website is out dated. Nothing on social media. What happened? Don't know but I'm not surprised.

Turn off your Audio and hunt by screen only....let us know how it works out..

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Turn off your Audio and hunt by screen only....let us know how it works out..
Still scratching my head trying to figure out what that statement means. Anyway, Tesoro's problem is not the quality or ability of there detectors, Its due to poor management, no planning or vision, which is not good for a company's longevity. Especially in a technology driven competitive market place. Best that could happen is that the company gets sold to someone who can breath new life into it.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was (is) nothing wrong with the products. They are a unique offering in the detector world. I repeated my test that I mentioned a while back with the Vaquero vs the MX Sport. This time I left my disc in one spot and dug any repeatable signal. Dug close to 70 coins. I followed up with the MX Sport and didn't find a single thing (except junk that the Vaq ignored, but sounded somewhat promising with the MXS). So the Vaquero can still keep up to the modern tech. I can tell you right now, that if I was forced to only have one detector, the Vaquero would be staying with me. Why? The fun factor, because that's what it's all about.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your assuming the MX SPORT is modern tech... lol .

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My understanding is Tesoro is still honoring warranties. I know there is at least 1 engineer there as I talked to him after the layoffs and was told they are still open, that the factory staff was laid off. Also my understanding is they have done this a couple times in their 38 year history.

TH,

I heard the same thing regarding their laying folks off in the past from a couple distributor's.

"D"

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
DOWNANDOUT, so sorry to hear about the loss of your job along with all the others. This was truly a shock. Tesoro has always built quality metal detectors and they were always a front runner with the Lifetime warranties. I felt that this was a standard that some of the other companies should have followed. Prayers said that maybe things can be worked out and Tesoro gets back to the business of building quality detectors, and her employees back to work.

yes! i have lighted a candle in church for tesoro the company,and
all the employees,past and present. may god grant tesoro the ''wisdom" to make the correct decisions going forward!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
There was (is) nothing wrong with the products. They are a unique offering in the detector world. I repeated my test that I mentioned a while back with the Vaquero vs the MX Sport. This time I left my disc in one spot and dug any repeatable signal. Dug close to 70 coins. I followed up with the MX Sport and didn't find a single thing (except junk that the Vaq ignored, but sounded somewhat promising with the MXS). So the Vaquero can still keep up to the modern tech. I can tell you right now, that if I was forced to only have one detector, the Vaquero would be staying with me. Why? The fun factor, because that's what it's all about.

the discriminator on the "mojave" is dead nuts accurate! so smooth,and the audio is a 'dream"
true audio modulation at depth.a wonderful,sweet sounding instrument. so much fun to use,
and a joy to swing.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Kind of heavy for modern. You would think that things that were modern would be lighter.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of heavy for modern. You would think that things that were modern would be lighter.

The CTX3030 is heavier yet....and have you ever used a GPX 5000 ? They are as modern as detectors get....and as heavy as they get.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In response to calabash's statement above....if modern tech means i will need to constantly get "updates" or upgrades to my machine, i will stick with my old-tech units that are working fine and costing me nothing. Minelab lost my vote on the equinox when its already needing updates??? If it is so great and they are so sure of it, wh not give the original purchaser a lifetime warranty? They arent that confident are they? I'll just take my equinox money and buy a second Tejon just incase TEsoro goes under and mine ever breaks.....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiggerinVa, I'm with you. I'm not updating my "updateable" machine anymore. Just when you get to know it, they change stuff.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From talks I've had with Vince Gifford, and a few others in the know, if Tesoro can restructure and keep going, they will switch their Warranty to the Industry Standard 3-years. Fixing 10-20 year-old machines, especially their water machines, has cost them a lot of money over the last 7-years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread