✅ SOLVED Test your skills on this one! Spent years trying to ID this.

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I found this in Alaska about 10 years ago, and have never been able to ID it. It is an aluminum piece, about 3 inches square. It has 15 teeth and is numbered 1-15. There is a stop preventing it from spinning freely. The back has two tabs that may have been used to mount it. ANY GUESSES?

Thanks,

MC

PS The quarter used for size was found yesterday! 1935S Yeah!

Attachments

• dial1.jpg
    dial1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 40,797
  • dial2.jpg
    dial2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 38,902
  • dial3.jpg
    dial3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 38,913

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
The funny thing is I did have a chicken. We inherited her when we moved here. She was free range and the sweetest thing. We lost her the second winter though. Probably from a barn cat, fisher or coyote. But I already have a chicken house, waterer and feeder.

And the night before I was able to find the snippet of the "Jensen Mfg" connection to the thing I had just finished reading "The Egg and I" :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Bramblefind ~

I wanted to let you know I just bought the only copy of "Keeping Chickens In Cages" that I could find on the entire internet. It was from Amazon.com, and it referred to it as an "original" (hardcover) copy from 1953! But I don't know if it had the dust cover like your's does or not. I hope so, and guess I will find out in a couple of weeks.

"Yahoo Mountain Dew!"

(I'm in the "club" now!)

Thanks ...

Bob

It is a nice souvenir of the saga :D

Keep Advanced Book Exchange in mind for used book too - I have had good experiences with the sellers there:

http://www.abebooks.com

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
~ P.S. ~

Bramblefind ~

How about focusing those amazing talents of your's on trying to find a Patent on the device?

If there is one to be found, I know you can do it! You might even earn yourself another Gold Star for your collection!

Thanks,

Bob

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
GoodyGuy said:
I am very disappointed that the solving of one of the greatest mysteries on T-Net has not made the banner >:(
How many nominations does it take anyway :icon_scratch:

I know I nominated it....... anyone else? :dontknow:

GG~

BTW Bramblefield you still haven't pm'd me your choice of prizes:
Thinking it over, maybe not banner (banner is for recent finds) but there should be some kind of official recognition for those who donate their time and effort to ID these unknowns. The best of the best should be given some kind of award. Its just a suggestion. :)

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
GoodyGuy said:
I am very disappointed that the solving of one of the greatest mysteries on T-Net has not made the banner >:(
How many nominations does it take anyway :icon_scratch:

I know I nominated it....... anyone else? :dontknow:

GG~

BTW Bramblefield you still haven't pm'd me your choice of prizes:
Thinking it over, maybe not banner (banner is for recent finds) but there should be some kind of official recognition for those who donate their time and effort to ID these unknowns. The best of the best should be given some kind of award. Its just a suggestion. :)

Yes I see where the wording has recently been changed to: "only consider recent finds/posts".
Guess that was done to disqualify this. It wasn't that long ago that an engagement announcement made the banner.
>:(

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
montepollock said:
the one I seen was mounted on a rabbit cge or chicken coup,My guess is still a counter but what?
a fertility counter of sometype to predict when animal was in estrus?
a vaacination reminder?
A chicken egg productivity counter?
Keep this post alive
I just gotta know, was it five or six?

Im still trying to contact montepollock to tell him he was right 3 years ago. Does anybody know him?

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Just for the record, here's a cropped image of Bramblefind's chicken book photo.

Wouldn't you know it, now that this thing is "almost" over, I finally learn how to re-size.

By the way, my dad is home from the hospital and happily counting his eggs as well as his blessings. Plus, he wishes to express his congratulations to Bramblefind. Also, Bramblefind gets my "Banner" vote ... (As soon as I become a charter member, that is ... which will be soon!)

And to think ... it was right at our "finger tips" all along!

Thanks,

Bob

Attachments

• GoodGuy\'s Post # 911-2.jpg
    GoodGuy\'s Post # 911-2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,206
  • Egg Counter From Keeping Chickens in Cages (343x303).jpg
    Egg Counter From Keeping Chickens in Cages (343x303).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,245
  • GoodGuy\'s Post # 911-2.jpg
    GoodGuy\'s Post # 911-2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,197
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
This thread is in the top 10 of most replies and 4th in most views.

Attachments

• top 10.jpg
    top 10.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,137
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
The following video is dedicated to my grand children who I have been neglecting for the past several weeks because of my preoccupation with the greatest "What Is It?" ever "SOLVED!!"
:hello:
Thanks again to all,

SODABOTTLEBOB & FAMILY

Upvote 0
OP
OP
musclecar

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Goodyguy, don't send the counter to Alaska, send it to Bramblefind. She has chickens, and needs to count the eggs:)

MC

Upvote 0

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
bigcypresshunter said:
In reply to your negative PM towards me about the possible broken tab, go back and look at my diagram in reply# 1316. I know there is a lot to read here and you may have missed it. I never thought this counter was connected to anything larger or mechanical.. I bent over backwards trying to disprove any mechanical/thermostat connection and my feeling was this could only be a simple counter. I thought it was a broken hanging tab, nothing more. I only tried to be fair without prejudice to other suggestions. I guess I cant please everybody and I dont make things up later to make myself look good.. :o >:( ::)

As usual you are right bigcypresshunter and I apologize,
I was wrong!

I did somehow mistake anothers insistence on there being
a missing piece as something you posted and I am sorry if
I upset you, which apparently my comment did. Again
I apologize. It was you who was always eager to
indulge every idea and discuss them unselfishly with anyone.
My hat's off to you also. Now I am putting myself on timeout
to reflect on my indiscretion.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
pronghorn said:
bigcypresshunter said:
In reply to your negative PM towards me about the possible broken tab, go back and look at my diagram in reply# 1316. I know there is a lot to read here and you may have missed it. I never thought this counter was connected to anything larger or mechanical.. I bent over backwards trying to disprove any mechanical/thermostat connection and my feeling was this could only be a simple counter. I thought it was a broken hanging tab, nothing more. I only tried to be fair without prejudice to other suggestions. I guess I cant please everybody and I dont make things up later to make myself look good.. :o >:( ::)

As usual you are right bigcypresshunter and I apologize,
I was wrong!

I did somehow mistake anothers insistence on there being
a missing piece as something you posted and I am sorry if
I upset you, which apparently my comment did. Again
I apologize. It was you who was always eager to
indulge every idea and discuss them unselfishly with anyone.
My hat's off to you also. Now I am putting myself on timeout
to reflect on my indiscretion.
Sorry I probably overreacted. That was very big of you to apologize. Im sorry for getting upset over frivolous things.

Actually we were both on the same page. Your insight into the manufacturing of this item, definitely helped keep us focused in the right direction. :icon_thumright: You actually were a big help and you were correct all along.

As far as the little tab whether it was snipped or not, we dont know but it doesnt matter, its solved. ;D

Upvote 0

relix

Greenie
May 12, 2008
This piece is very much similar to the dial on a caboose furnace. I'm not sure how the mechanics work on the flip side of this dial. The 'stop' indicates this piece is in fact a a dial, rather than a 'counter'. The dials on our current cabooses are built the same with only 9 settings instead of 15. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
relix said:
This piece is very much similar to the dial on a caboose furnace. I'm not sure how the mechanics work on the flip side of this dial. The 'stop' indicates this piece is in fact a a dial, rather than a 'counter'. The dials on our current cabooses are built the same with only 9 settings instead of 15. I hope this helps.

Not really - this was already solved.

Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still say it is clearly a very heavy duty dirt bike sprocket slash refrigerator temp control. :'(

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread