✅ SOLVED Test your skills on this one! Spent years trying to ID this.

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I found this in Alaska about 10 years ago, and have never been able to ID it. It is an aluminum piece, about 3 inches square. It has 15 teeth and is numbered 1-15. There is a stop preventing it from spinning freely. The back has two tabs that may have been used to mount it. ANY GUESSES?

Thanks,

MC

PS The quarter used for size was found yesterday! 1935S Yeah!

Attachments

• dial1.jpg
    dial1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 40,797
  • dial2.jpg
    dial2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 38,902
  • dial3.jpg
    dial3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 38,913

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
BigCy ~

Are you sure you didn't mean ...

End of a "Leghorn?"

The Leghorn is a breed of chicken with origins in Tuscany, central Italy. The first birds imported to North America in 1853 were called "Italians." By 1865 the breed was named after the Italian city of Livorno, on the western edge of Tuscany, which in English translates as "Leghorn."

:hello:
SODAPOPBOB

Attachments

• White Leghorn Hen.jpg
    White Leghorn Hen.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 959
Upvote 0

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
As a sidenote I read the complete 1927 volume of the poultry mag and in one of the issues they had a leghorn lay 122 eggs in one month, seems the counter might be overmatched, lol

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
wwace ~

You got me curious about the 122 eggs per month deal. Could you please scan and post the article you are referring to? So far, the following quote is the best I could come up with regarding this subject. :icon_scratch:

Thanks much,

SODABOB

The leghorn is known as "The Ultimate egg machine" by breeders and is one of the most commonly used by the commercial egg industry, averaging between 265 to 300 pearl white eggs per year.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
wwace said:
As a sidenote I read the complete 1927 volume of the poultry mag and in one of the issues they had a leghorn lay 122 eggs in one month, seems the counter might be overmatched, lol
I googled back to 1927 and found these contests were done with 5 birds. Thats probably a record of 122 eggs laid by 5 birds in one month, which is still pretty good, but the counter can handle it.

Egg laying contests, under official supervision, usually consists of 5 to 20 birds. http://tinyurl.com/y8qydnr

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Hey Bramblefind ~ (And all)

I wanted to let you know I just this minute recieved my "Keeping Chickens In Cages" book in the mail. It's the 1953 printing, and in great shape, but it doesn't have a dust cover like your's does. Oh well, nice souvenir anyway. Before long I will be an "eggspert" like you are. But you're still the man ... er, I mean "Woman of the Year!"

Just for the heck of it I thought I would post this page from the book that referes to a egg record card. It has some interesting information that may help answer some of the questions we all had earlier.

Take care,

Bob

Attachments

• Keeping Chickens In Cages book 1953 (605x800).jpg
    Keeping Chickens In Cages book 1953 (605x800).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 892
Upvote 0

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
bigcypresshunter said:
wwace said:
I googled back to 1927 and found these contests were done with 5 birds. Thats probably a record of 122 eggs laid by 5 birds in one month, which is still pretty good, but the counter can handle it.

Egg laying contests, under official supervision, usually consists of 5 to 20 birds. http://tinyurl.com/y8qydnr
http://books.google.com/books?id=6R...6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=poultry tribune 62&f=false pg 28 more proof my eyesight is bad yes it says pen which is five birds in this case

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
During the course of my participation in this thread I often spoke of my grand father's chicken ranch were my own father was raised during the 1920s and 30s. This inspired me to go through numerous boxes of old photos recently, and of the several hundred pictures they included, the one below is literally the only one I could find of my grand father on his ranch. He bought the ranch around 1915, and the photo was taken in 1929. I didn't think anyone would mind my posting it, especially since it took me almost as long to find this photo as it did to solve this "What Is It?"

Take care,

Bob

Attachments

• Grand Dad on Ranch in 1929 (446x640).jpg
    Grand Dad on Ranch in 1929 (446x640).jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 871
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I heard from Lou Arrington today, (Poultry Historical Society), and have copy/pasted his message below. I've already replied to him and have requested copies of the magazine ads he refers to. As it turns out, Mr. Arrington and my uncle both went to Cal-Davis college. Although my uncle was quite a few years ahead of Mr. Arrington.

I realize this thread is solved, but I will post the magazine ads showing the egg tallying device when they arrive.

P.S. Just in case you're wondering, it's wwace's link that has elongated this page.

SODABOTTLEBOB

~ * ~

Bob

" The device you found is probably an "improved" version of the patented model. I did find an ad for the one like yours (and the one in Hartman's book) in Poultry Tribune magazine, May, 1955, page 38. I also came across three other versions in poultry magazine ads in the '50s. I would be happy to mail copies of the ads to you if you send your address (no hurry --- I'll be out all of next week).

Just a couple of thoughts about the device. The patent model had 10 numbers. The idea was probably to keep track of 1 week's egg production and decide to keep or cull (dispose of (chicken soup?)) each hen, based on her production. Of course, the birds had to be in individual cages. Your model (with 14 numbers) was more likely used in research or in breeding programs, where it was not unusual to keep records for 2-week periods. Production for each 2-week period would be marked down in the record book. Theoretically, a hen cannot lay more than one egg a day, so 14 numbers was suitable for a 2-week record. However, a few hens are not aware of that theory, and do the impossible of laying more than one egg in a day.

The slot in the panel behind the counter wheel helps ensure that the dial moves only one space when the egg collector picks up and records the egg. Some of the other variations found in ads had other ways to move the counter, but the idea was similar. Chicken houses tend to be somewhat dusty, which might hinder the function of the counter wheel.

So far, I have not found anyone who recognized or used such devices. When I was a graduate student at the University of California-Davis, we had a device which attached under the egg tray, with "fingers" coming up between the wires. When an egg was laid, it rolled down the sloped floor, pushed the "fingers" down, turning a counter wheel, thus recording the egg. It did have its problems, though, because the egg didn't always roll down to the tray, and the hen could reach her foot or head under the feed trough and record an egg than was never laid.

Thanks for sharing the photos and information. The American Poultry Historical Society (APHS) is always looking for information on items used for poultry production in the past.

The Poultry Tribune ad was by the JENSEN MFG. CO., Orange,Calif. While it was changed appreciably from the patent illustration, the patent holder (Frank Distaso) may well have sold his rights to this company.

Some of this response is our "best guess". If other information becomes available, I'll get back to you. Send your address if you would like copies of the ads referred to."

Sincerely,

Lou Arrington

Upvote 0

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does anyone know how to stop following a thread? I started following this a while back and now that its solved and people are still posting to it, I'd like to stop having it pop up in my replies. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BamaBill said:
Does anyone know how to stop following a thread? I started following this a while back and now that its solved and people are still posting to it, I'd like to stop having it pop up in my replies. Thanks.
Ive heard people complain about this in the past on other threads. I dont see a big deal because I have 20 posts a day in my replies, so to me, what is one more? Im sure you can stop the entire notification process if you so desire, but I dont know if you can put a single thread on ignore. :dontknow: I dont feel the necessity to lock down this post. I think it will eventually fade away. Afterall it was one of the biggest mysteries of TN for years. Looking back on it, I still cant believe so many people could be so wrong. If your tired of deleting, I dont know if you can put a single thread on ignore. I just dont know.

You could remove all your posts in this thread like SWR suggested, if it really bothers you. Or you could ask a moderator.

ADDED: I just thought of something. You could simply just ignore the notification. They will NOT keep sending notifications if you dont open it. Just simply ignore it and you will never be notified again. A month from now you can delete it.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
With appreciation extended to everyone concerned, especially to GoodGuy, as well as the mediating administration of TreasureNet, I respectfully request that this thread be allowed to continue for a little while longer. It is not every day that a national historical society takes an interest in something that to some may seem to be nothing more than an insignificant aluminum device for counting chicken eggs. As Mr. Arrington expressed in his own words; "Thanks for sharing the photos and information. The American Poultry Historical Society (APHS) is always looking for information on items used for poultry production in the past." Furthermore, I honestly feel that my recent post may very well be of interest to the majority of individuals who have been following this topic for the past four years. If GoodGuy, who is the owner of this thread, has any objections to my posting of the magazine images I am looking forward to receiving from Mr. Arrington, then I will honor GoodGuy's request and cease immediately. In the meantime, all anyone has to do is click on the link below and they will be asked a simple yes or no question, and if they click on the "No," they will no longer receive notifications from this topic number 58818.0.

Thank you to everyone concerned for allowing me to add a little bit of historical significance to an otherwise mundane topic.

Sincerely,

Bob

P.S. Although unrelated, did you know that today is Albert Einstein's birthday? ( 3-14-1879 / 4-18-1955 ) And that his interest in science started at the age of five because of a facination with compasses? Who knows, maybe someday a child will discover an interest in our little egg counter and become the next Einstein.

Unsubscribe to this topic by clicking here: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?action=notify;topic=58818.0

Attachments

• Albert Einstein.jpg
    Albert Einstein.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 992
Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
With appreciation extended to everyone concerned, especially to GoodGuy, as well as the mediating administration of TreasureNet, I respectfully request that this thread be allowed to continue for a little while longer. It is not every day that a national historical society takes an interest in something that to some may seem to be nothing more than an insignificant aluminum device for counting chicken eggs. As Mr. Arrington expressed in his own words; "Thanks for sharing the photos and information. The American Poultry Historical Society (APHS) is always looking for information on items used for poultry production in the past." Furthermore, I honestly feel that my recent post may very well be of interest to the majority of individuals who have been following this topic for the past four years. If GoodGuy, who is the owner of this thread, has any objections to my posting of the magazine images I am looking forward to receiving from Mr. Arrington, then I will honor GoodGuy's request and cease immediately. In the meantime, all anyone has to do is click on the link below and they will be asked a simple yes or no question, and if they click on the "No," they will no longer receive notifications from this topic number 58818.0.

Thank you to everyone concerned for allowing me to add a little bit of historical significance to an otherwise mundane topic.

Sincerely,

Bob

Unsubscribe to this topic by clicking here: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?action=notify;topic=58818.0

Actually Musclecar is the thread owner.

I became a member of T-net for two reasons, number one was to learn, number two was to share information. As far as I am concerned as long as you are keeping on subject in a manner that is consistent with wrapping up the mystery and bringing it to a final conclusion, then personally I see no harm. Keeping in mind that no one wants to see a dead horse beaten.

When you receive the copies of the ads I hope you are able to post them here and put this baby to a final rest.
I wonder how much it sold for in the 50's ? My guess would be $1.99 - $2.99

GG~

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Wow that was easy. Did you get that BamaBill and SWR? ;D

I actually had a guy email me a while back and told me to stop posting because he didnt want any unnecessary notifications. ::)

I say its OK as long as you stay on topic. I think Einsteins birthday is unrelated and unnecessary but I am still following to see the latest magazine egg counter pictures.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Did you read that Bob? Maybe we need a new feature to ignore replies to a specific topic. . :-\ Im going to test it to see it it stops reply notifications as well as e-mails. Somebody post to see if I get notified.. .

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
kyphote said:
This is a test post to see if big cy gets notified.
I was notified. Oh well.

I would suggest, for those who are bothered, to just ignore the 1st notification otherwise they will just keep coming. Good threads dont die, they just fade away.

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best ID Ever. :hello2:

I do think that the ID crew deserve some honorable mention--especially when the ID is as tough as this one. Just as the folks that return lost property to the owners are an asset to the hobby, so also are the folks here who work hard to make sure it all gets ID'ed.

-Buck

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions