Attachments

• 100_0009_11_1193627517281498796[1].jpg
    100_0009_11_1193627517281498796[1].jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 476
  • 100_0010_11_11936276641719293783[1].jpg
    100_0010_11_11936276641719293783[1].jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 485
Upvote 0
Great button dj....Let me start this out with telling you I'm no button expert....Just have Albert's button book.

The thing that makes me question the years given for it's age it that the backmark "Horstmann Bros. & Co. Phila.", according to what I've found in my book, puts it in the 1859-63 age range.

Like I said, I'm not an expert, but maybe someone can explain the difference?

T.

It looks from the picture to be in very good condition.

A very nice button regardless of its age. It's my understanding that the Alberts button book is pretty accurate, so if the books dates it to 1859-63 based on the backmark then it's probably correct.

Congrats,
SgtSki

I agree with some of the comments here , I have found 2 different dates for this button.
So I sent a letter and pictures to Mark Parker at Treasures Mag and see what they have to say. I am crossing my fingers and if is civil war era I might just sell it and buy a better detector with the proceeds.

tchaire said:
Great button dj....Let me start this out with telling you I'm no button expert....Just have Albert's button book.

The thing that makes me question the years given for it's age it that the backmark "Horstmann Bros. & Co. Phila.", according to what I've found in my book, puts it in the 1859-63 age range.

T.

I haven't got the book but you have quoted Phila instead of Phil (which is on the button). Does this make a difference? (just an observation)

Nice looking button

HH Jer

CRUSADER said:
tchaire said:

T.

I haven't got the book but you have quoted Phila instead of Phil (which is on the button). Does this make a difference? (just an observation)

Yes, there are many similar marks and Phila vs Phil can definitely make a difference.

I have Tice's Dating Buttons book and he has photographs of the Horstmann backmarks. Since from your photo it appears there are DOTS on either side of PHIL, and not stars or asteriks, I believe it is post Civil War. Ref: Dating Buttons by Warren Tice, page 129, Plate B18

There is Civil War era button showing the exact wording and circles however, it shows a asterik/star on either side of PHIL not periods.

Regardless of CW or not, that is one beautiful button!

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back