What's new

Thats gotta be a 79D

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
That's gotta be a '79D

Nope. Took me a second look to confirm it was a 1970D. Only about 11 years in the making and over 200,000 half dollars to find one. This, along with the 1987D I found earlier this year, complete my non-proof circulation-only collection of Kennedy Halves up through 2007. Out of all those halves, I have found only (1) 70D, (1) 87P and (1) 87D. Now if I can find some 08s I can be caught up!
 
Upvote 0
Re: That's gotta be a '79D

11 years to finish a collection? :o Man I would have bought those missing coins! Congrats on finishing the series!
 
Re: That's gotta be a '79D

Congratulations, wow.... 200,000 halves I gotta feel extremely lucky then when I found mine a couple weeks back after searching about 15,000.00 worth!
 
Re: That's gotta be a '79D

congrats on completing your collection.... persistence pays off and a whole lotta patience after 11 years ...kudos
 
Re: That's gotta be a '79D

Congrats. What a feat !!!
 
Re: That's gotta be a '79D

in 6 months I have found

8 1987s One yesterday
4 70d's
4 70S's
4 69S proofs
3 68S proofs

Crazy how its so unbalanced..
However, i have yet to find a 76S Silver.
 
Re: That's gotta be a '79D

Congrats on your persistence.
 
Re: That's gotta be a '79D

Hey JD! I've found the 1976 S Silver but not the others you have found. Weird isn't it!
 
Re: That's gotta be a '79D

Out of those 200K+ halves, I have (3) foreign coins, all found this year within the last 40 boxes. I have found (2) Barbers, but they were out of hand rolled all-pre-Kennedy rolls I got at the bank in 1998. I also don't seem to get many proof coins compared to others that post on here. This year, out of 40 boxes, I have 4 Kennedy CuNi proofs. It's definitely odd how some of the folks who post here get such different results than what I get. It could be that there aren't any casinos around this area (you have to go down to WV) and therefore less demand for half dollars, and I may just be getting a lot of my already-searched coins back. Who knows. I'd really like to track down a commemorative coin though, silver or clad. I haven't found a single one of them yet.
 
Re: That's gotta be a '79D

I guess I was very lucky. I got my 1970-D in my fourth box. I got the 1970-S from a teller's tray about 15 years ago.

Scott
 
Re: That's gotta be a '79D

I got my 70D from a teller's tray. I hadn't been hunting very long either. I was surprised.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom