What's new

The Golden Rule. Honesty

ffej

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2010
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Fisrt of, I know, I know, no pics it didn't happen.....well it did.

I have been CRH for about two months now 6 or 7 days aweek. I have only $500.00 to play with and keep spending it then dumping to buy new ones. Like I said, everyday I hunt with $500.00, I do $400.00 in nickels and $100.00 in pennies, sometimes dimes. I mix the combonation up to equal $500.00. I don't want any idle time when I could be sorting.

On Wednesday I do $1,500.00 in havles with the same $500.00. I pickup, then sort under a shady tree, dump,pickup,etc......I guess I'm trying to explain why I don't sit down and learn how to post pics and contribute more to this great hobby and site.

I've had some really good finds...walkers, Bens, large cent ( in a half roll ), steel pennies ( 20 in one roll ), indian heads, buffalo, barbers...etc..

Me being the paranoid ex-cop kinda guy, and with all the geotracting with picture and ISP, google earth stuff, I'm just quite at what I do ( so much for that now ;D ), so here is what happened to me today.....

I went on a road trip to scout some new grounds. July has been kinda rough on a new guy. The silver has been tough to find in halves for me.

Stopped in my first bank and asked for halves or any large dollars. The teller said had $9.00, counted them out and I paid her. I waited till we were done and asked her if we were squared. She said yes and told me to have a nice day. I queitly told her that I owed her more money, she said no sir you paid for the halves. Being honest I told her these are not halves they are dollars, she said they are new halves. I then showed her where it said dollar and paid her the proper amount. She thanked me for being honest. I told her it was the golden rule and I'll get repaid somewhere down the line.

Next bank skunk, third bank A couple silver ( only 40%er ).....The teller was a young guy and I asked him to ask the rest of the tellers for halves or large dollars, he did and I got one more keeper, then he said I have one of these showing me the coin as he was walking towards the counter ( i'm thinking it's one of those chucky cheese tokens the mint calls a gold dollar ) then I heard him say but it's $25.00, I'm tired of counting it....I tried to stay calm and laid the worthless $25.00 on the counter as he slipped the MCMLXXVI $25.00 1/2 oz .999 fine Gold coin in my hand. He thanked me for buying it so he didn't have to count it :laughing7:......The moral of this true story is Honesty is the golden rule,..... but don't be stupid :headbang: :headbang: :hello2: :headbang:

IT IS FLIPPING PURDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

Attachments

  • ebay0710 039 (768 x 512).webp
    ebay0710 039 (768 x 512).webp
    85.5 KB · Views: 672
  • ebay0710 040 (768 x 512).webp
    ebay0710 040 (768 x 512).webp
    85.8 KB · Views: 653
Upvote 0
AGCoinHunter said:
jim4silver said:
mistergee said:
is it me :icon_scratch: or do i need new glasses?


The coin looks legit in the photo. I believe it is the photo quality that makes it appear different. Check some other online photos of the reverse of this coin and you will see the 5 looks the same way on those coins.

Jim

Ok, well what about the ebay names on the pics?


I am not saying that I believe or disbelieve the original poster's statement that a bank teller handed over a coin that is clearly marked 1/2 ounce fine gold to him for $25 cash.

However, I do believe that the coin in the photo "appears" real, and that the fact that the 25 looks like a 23 is due to the photo quality. I could be wrong on this, but I would have to see the coin in person to be sure.

Jim
 
I looked on ebay and saw a real 25, also on ebay i see a year to the right, there is something in the lines on the right but that definitely isn't a year what is it?
 
d2arcing said:
I looked on ebay and saw a real 25, also on ebay i see a year to the right, there is something in the lines on the right but that definitely isn't a year what is it?


The first 6 years they minted gold eagles the year was designated with Roman numerals (1986-1991).


Jim
 
jeff of pa said:
i take it this is either not your coin ?

Or your EBaying it already ?

your posted pics say ebay0710 039 & 040

If these are just Examples of your Coin,
It is important you say so;
To prevent being accused of Faking a find.

Which is Punnishable by Banning.

Jeff

Wow, i'm kinda at a lost for words. My second real post, first one with a picture and I kinda feel like I'm being called out??... This photo is the coin sitting ontop of my laptop. The picture is listed as ebay because I'm going to sell it on ebay and stored the photo in my ebay file. It is NOT a fake, it says $25.00, sorry if it looks like it's 23. Jeff of PA I know you have to power to ban me, but if you would like I could take another pic of the coin in a different setting. Really sorry for all the confusion. I really don't know what to say other than I was trying to contribute to this awesome forum because it has helped me so much in this great hobby. All I can say is every word that the original post stated was true. That is the original picture of the coin ( only resized for easy download ), thats how I got it, it is real, NOT a fake. My ebay name is campstrapped. I am gonna wait a few days to send it to the bay, it's nice to keep it a few days and look at it, as well as waiting for gold to get a little bump.

If there is a picture of it on ebay, then someone got it off this forum. It is NOT listed and this is the only place I have posted the picture. I've been busy hunting all day and sorting till 11:00 pm when I logged on and seen the questions.

I hope I'm not sounding like a jerk, but only trying to be sincere and truthful. I know this forum doesn't know me from Adam and it does sound far fetched but as I've said, every word is the truth as well as the picture and the coin. Thanks for looking at it and thanks for a great forum. I hope to post todays find in a day or two......ffej
 
Hope this helps, I'm kinda new to posting pics here, and this is a cheapo camera.... The color is off because I'm using two different type light sources to show the detail better.......ffej
 

Attachments

  • ebay0710 042 (1200 x 900).webp
    ebay0710 042 (1200 x 900).webp
    261.3 KB · Views: 228
Okay, here's my two cents worth. Hope I'm not stepping on toes. A lot of folks in the last day accusing someone of posting a lie and or item being possibly fake. For some reason even the moderator seems to have forgotten the rules on that situation. Everyone that questioned this post should be banned. One of big no no's I believe. I'll find the link and post it. :-[
enamel7
 
i believe the fellow got the coin exactly like he said he did --why shouldn't I ? --

however if the photos posted clearly say "e bay" under them (which these do)--he should say if he put it on e bay or got a photo of a "similar" coin from e bay to show folks the ttpe of coin it is -- to avoid "confusing folks here on T net" who see those pictures.

some folks will always be "doubters" for one reason or another.
 
Don't hate me for what I'm about to say but since no one else has said it I will.

That coin should be returned to the bank and the manager notified. It was probably stolen. And the bank should never have accepted it.

We have had this conversation about the hypocrisy of what I'm saying because we all know the silver we are all searching for has value, and someone lost out.

But in this situation that coin is clearly not a normal circulated coin and the fact that the "Dumb" teller sold it to you doesn't excuse the "BANK" from accepting that coin in the first place.

Maybe some of you will remember.

A while back there was a story of a teller who accepted about a dozen $20 gold coins, I believe, and bought them for himself, knowing what they were worth. The person who sold them to the bank (we found out later) stole them from a friends father whom she was staying with. He never realized they were missing. However the teller was found out and fired for his conduct. The perp returned to the bank a week later was recognized and was detained till police arrived and the whole story unfolded.

I don't mean to put a damper on your parade. But I would have a hard time dealing with the moral obligation on this one myself.

I don't blame you for the situation, but more so the bank. They "should" have a moral obligation to their clients to inform the person cashing that type of coin in.

If only that coin could be reunited with the owner (which is highly unlikely at this point) Now, to me, that would make a great story as well as the story of how you found it.

The debate on how to know when we are finding stuff or taking advantage of someone, goes on.

I always feel better when there is no face involved in a great score. That's why getting dream boxes gives peace of mind knowing there is nothing you can do to fix a situation where someone has been taken advantage of or been the victim of a crime.

I got beat up pretty bad about this same subject last year by several of the regulars here. But after all the dabate about this and that (pictures and authenticity) I thought it was a little weird that not one person mentioned the amoral implications here.

Am I "still" alone on this?????? :help:

Oh.... Welcome to the Forum. ffej :angel9:

Mojo
 
ffej said:
Me being the paranoid ex-cop kinda guy, and with all the geotracting with picture and ISP, google earth stuff, I'm just quite at what I do ( so much for that now ;D ), so here is what happened to me today.....

Stopped in my first bank and asked for halves or any large dollars. The teller said had $9.00, counted them out and I paid her. I waited till we were done and asked her if we were squared. She said yes and told me to have a nice day. I queitly told her that I owed her more money, she said no sir you paid for the halves. Being honest I told her these are not halves they are dollars, she said they are new halves. I then showed her where it said dollar and paid her the proper amount. She thanked me for being honest. I told her it was the golden rule and I'll get repaid somewhere down the line.

Third bank: The teller was a young guy and I asked him to ask the rest of the tellers for halves or large dollars, he did and I got one more keeper, then he said I have one of these showing me the coin as he was walking towards the counter ( i'm thinking it's one of those chucky cheese tokens the mint calls a gold dollar ) then I heard him say but it's $25.00, I'm tired of counting it....I tried to stay calm and laid the worthless $25.00 on the counter as he slipped the MCMLXXVI $25.00 1/2 oz .999 fine Gold coin in my hand. He thanked me for buying it so he didn't have to count it :laughing7:......The moral of this true story is Honesty is the golden rule,..... but don't be stupid :headbang: :headbang: :hello2: :headbang:


Well I read your story again. And I'm confused?

So your an "ex cop" who claims to be "honest". "It's the Golden Rule"

When the cute teller shorts herself $9 your "honest" and feel good about yourself.

When the young Male teller hands you a $600 Gold coin and you give him face vale ($25) you still feel like your being "honest".

I know I'm probably not making friends here because it is hard to be called out.

But I'm real confused by your Honesty............ Just sayin

Mojo
 
ffej said:
jeff of pa said:
i take it this is either not your coin ?

Or your EBaying it already ?

your posted pics say ebay0710 039 & 040

If these are just Examples of your Coin,
It is important you say so;
To prevent being accused of Faking a find.

Which is Punnishable by Banning.

Jeff

Wow, i'm kinda at a lost for words. My second real post, first one with a picture and I kinda feel like I'm being called out??... This photo is the coin sitting ontop of my laptop. The picture is listed as ebay because I'm going to sell it on ebay and stored the photo in my ebay file. It is NOT a fake, it says $25.00, sorry if it looks like it's 23. Jeff of PA I know you have to power to ban me, but if you would like I could take another pic of the coin in a different setting. Really sorry for all the confusion. I really don't know what to say other than I was trying to contribute to this awesome forum because it has helped me so much in this great hobby. All I can say is every word that the original post stated was true. That is the original picture of the coin ( only resized for easy download ), thats how I got it, it is real, NOT a fake. My ebay name is campstrapped. I am gonna wait a few days to send it to the bay, it's nice to keep it a few days and look at it, as well as waiting for gold to get a little bump.

If there is a picture of it on ebay, then someone got it off this forum. It is NOT listed and this is the only place I have posted the picture. I've been busy hunting all day and sorting till 11:00 pm when I logged on and seen the questions.

I hope I'm not sounding like a jerk, but only trying to be sincere and truthful. I know this forum doesn't know me from Adam and it does sound far fetched but as I've said, every word is the truth as well as the picture and the coin. Thanks for looking at it and thanks for a great forum. I hope to post todays find in a day or two......ffej

:D I Received a Note on the pics being EBay
& Felt it was my Duty to ask why EBay pics :D


Not accusing. I Don't accuse online I Delete :wink:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/authenticity.

Anyway now that I Know that is your's,
Congrats on a great Deal :thumbsup:

& Welcome to treasureNet !

Jeff
 
enamel7 said:
Okay, here's my two cents worth. Hope I'm not stepping on toes. A lot of folks in the last day accusing someone of posting a lie and or item being possibly fake. For some reason even the moderator seems to have forgotten the rules on that situation. Everyone that questioned this post should be banned. One of big no no's I believe. I'll find the link and post it. :-[
enamel7

I Don't see any Accusations
only Legit Questions :dontknow:

If I'm Wrong Point me to them.
 
your alone on this IMO

first off what are the odds the Teller
remembers who brought it in.

Every body & Their Brother will claim it, &

I doubt any bank will review tape
over $25.00 & Yes that is what it was to the bank
$25.00.

He said "I heard him say but it's $25.00, I'm tired of counting it"
how many times a day do tellers count their money ?
could that have been in the change drawer for days ?
weeks ? Months ?

I say he bought it fair & Square :thumbsup:


coinmojo said:
Don't hate me for what I'm about to say but since no one else has said it I will.

That coin should be returned to the bank and the manager notified. It was probably stolen. And the bank should never have accepted it.

We have had this conversation about the hypocrisy of what I'm saying because we all know the silver we are all searching for has value, and someone lost out.

But in this situation that coin is clearly not a normal circulated coin and the fact that the "Dumb" teller sold it to you doesn't excuse the "BANK" from accepting that coin in the first place.

Maybe some of you will remember.

A while back there was a story of a teller who accepted about a dozen $20 gold coins, I believe, and bought them for himself, knowing what they were worth. The person who sold them to the bank (we found out later) stole them from a friends father whom she was staying with. He never realized they were missing. However the teller was found out and fired for his conduct. The perp returned to the bank a week later was recognized and was detained till police arrived and the whole story unfolded.

I don't mean to put a damper on your parade. But I would have a hard time dealing with the moral obligation on this one myself.

I don't blame you for the situation, but more so the bank. They "should" have a moral obligation to their clients to inform the person cashing that type of coin in.

If only that coin could be reunited with the owner (which is highly unlikely at this point) Now, to me, that would make a great story as well as the story of how you found it.

The debate on how to know when we are finding stuff or taking advantage of someone, goes on.

I always feel better when there is no face involved in a great score. That's why getting dream boxes gives peace of mind knowing there is nothing you can do to fix a situation where someone has been taken advantage of or been the victim of a crime.

I got beat up pretty bad about this same subject last year by several of the regulars here. But after all the dabate about this and that (pictures and authenticity) I thought it was a little weird that not one person mentioned the amoral implications here.

Am I "still" alone on this?????? :help:

Oh.... Welcome to the Forum. ffej :angel9:

Mojo
 
jeff of pa said:
your alone on this IMO

first off what are the odds the Teller
remembers who brought it in.

Every body & Their Brother will claim it, &

I doubt any bank will review tape
over $25.00 & Yes that is what it was to the bank
$25.00.

He said "I heard him say but it's $25.00, I'm tired of counting it"
how many times a day do tellers count their money ?
could that have been in the change drawer for days ?
weeks ? Months ?

I say he bought it fair & Square :thumbsup:

I agree, do you turn back the Silver Halves that you find? They are marked as 50 cents but we all know they are worth more than that.
As far as questioning somebody's honesty, that is a bit below the belt when we all do the same thing on almost a daily basis.

I say he did just fine and welcome to Treasure Net ffej...... :thumbsup:

p.s., Don't pay any attention to the BS on here, some people just can't believe that "luck" happens to somebody else.
 
ffej...forgive me if it sounded as if i was calling you out. i wasn't....i was just pointing out that it looked to me like it said $23. even now zooming way in i can't make it look like a $25. after seeing the new pic it is clearly $25.
Jim you were rigt once again my friend :thumbsup:
as far as the moral implications.......i don't know where i stand on this one. i think because it is just one coin....i think i would have done the same. had it been several then i think i would have a problem with that and notified the authorities. very touchy subject.
 


Well I read your story again. And I'm confused?

So your an "ex cop" who claims to be "honest". "It's the Golden Rule"

When the cute teller shorts herself $9 your "honest" and feel good about yourself.

When the young Male teller hands you a $600 Gold coin and you give him face vale ($25) you still feel like your being "honest".

I know I'm probably not making friends here because it is hard to be called out.

But I'm real confused by your Honesty............ Just sayin

Mojo
[/quote]

I guess I'm wasting my time to try and explain this to you, but here goes.....

The bank paid $18.00 for a set of coins that had a face value of $18.00. That bank then mistakenly attempted to sell those same coins to me at a %50 lower face value. If I was dishonest and bought those coins at that price, the banks/ tellers drawer would be off by $9.00...To me, that would be wrong and dishonest, and yes that would bother me.

The bank bought a coin at $25.00 face value, then sold it to me for $25.00 face value in which I paid. No one is cheated ( except maybe for the one who sold it originally ). The tellers ledger at the end of the day would be " told " true and correct.

A bank is a bank not a coin dealer. There is no difference in my moral book between what I did and what every CRH does everyday ( except mine was gold ).

This is a big world with a lot of difference oppions ,beliefs and justification of why people do what they do, some right, some wrong....I don't feel like I did anything wrong, unjust, or illmoral.

My response could have went in a different direction and pointed a few things about several of your past post and you would counter with some great come back, but I'm not like that.....Just sayin
 
mistergee said:
ffej...forgive me if it sounded as if i was calling you out. i wasn't....i was just pointing out that it looked to me like it said $23. even now zooming way in i can't make it look like a $25. after seeing the new pic it is clearly $25.
Jim you were rigt once again my friend :thumbsup:
as far as the moral implications.......i don't know where i stand on this one. i think because it is just one coin....i think i would have done the same. had it been several then i think i would have a problem with that and notified the authorities. very touchy subject.

I looked at the pic zoomed and with a magnifying glass and it look like a 23 to me also so I don't blame any of you.

What price is honesty..If we find a customer roll of pennies and theres a few Indian Head and some Wheaties do we run back to the bank because some fiendish crime must have been committed?

Anyway....all is good and thanks for every response, good or bad....HH...ffej
 
ffej, I don't think anyone here is calling you out saying you are not being honest. There are legit questions presented by your own evidence you posted, aka the pictures. That is all. Do I believe you got this from a bank for $25, yes. I don't have any reason to question your story. Our questions arise from what you posted.

I think its an excellent fine, once in a lifetime. Many of us will never be able to say we found something this cool.

I agree with Mojo in the sense that the coin most likely is stolen. Being that the coin is monetized ($25 on the coin) the bank can accept it. I understand that this isn't something that comes in the door everyday, but if it happened to be grandma who decided to cash it in, there is nothing illegal on the banks part for taking it. Do they have the moral obligation to track down the owner? I don't think that they do, other than making note of who brought it in and keeping that on record. I know its nice to reunite the coin with its original owner if it was stolen but the bank should not be under the task of trying to find out of it was stolen and I do not believe you should be either.
 
enamel7 said:
Okay, here's my two cents worth. Hope I'm not stepping on toes. A lot of folks in the last day accusing someone of posting a lie and or item being possibly fake. For some reason even the moderator seems to have forgotten the rules on that situation. Everyone that questioned this post should be banned. One of big no no's I believe. I'll find the link and post it. :-[
enamel7

Enamel,

Your constant chastising of fellow posters is getting old. You are NOT a moderator here. The moderators do a fine job of keeping things in line on their own.

Nobody in the post said ffej was lying. There is nothing in the rules here that says a member must suspend all disbelief of anything anyone says. The fact that a brand new poster comes out and makes a post like this will make anyone here who has half a brain at least think about it for a minute. We have had brand new posters in the past come on and make somewhat impossible sounding claims that did turn out to be false and the poster was banned. So anytime a new poster makes such claims some may wish to withhold judgment on whether they believe or not. Besides, there was the ebay issue with the picture.

If somebody who had been posting here for a while made a find like ffej and posted it, I am sure there would have been nothing but :thumbsup: and :hello2:, etc.

You have no right to say who should and should not be banned.

Just my 2cents.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
enamel7 said:
Okay, here's my two cents worth. Hope I'm not stepping on toes. A lot of folks in the last day accusing someone of posting a lie and or item being possibly fake. For some reason even the moderator seems to have forgotten the rules on that situation. Everyone that questioned this post should be banned. One of big no no's I believe. I'll find the link and post it. :-[
enamel7

Enamel,

Your constant chastising of fellow posters is getting old. You are NOT a moderator here. The moderators do a fine job of keeping things in line on their own.

Nobody in the post said ffej was lying. There is nothing in the rules here that says a member must suspend all disbelief of anything anyone says. The fact that a brand new poster comes out and makes a post like this will make anyone here who has half a brain at least think about it for a minute. We have had brand new posters in the past come on and make somewhat impossible sounding claims that did turn out to be false and the poster was banned. So anytime a new poster makes such claims some may wish to withhold judgment on whether they believe or not. Besides, there was the ebay issue with the picture.

If somebody who had been posting here for a while made a find like ffej and posted it, I am sure there would have been nothing but :thumbsup: and :hello2:, etc.

You have no right to say who should and should not be banned.

Just my 2cents.

Jim

Let's get over this Please.
as I said I See no posts Accusing
him of Lying

For some reason even the moderator seems to have forgotten the rules on that situation.

And if you read my Post.
I Didn't Either.

I simply pointed to the fact they were EBay posts,
Asked IF He had it up for sale Already Or
used Examples instead of his.

And advised What he should do in the case of Using
examples to Prevent Confusion & Accusations.
and why.

as Jim made clear

[mod]All Off topic Posts in this thread Will
be removed in a few days (Maybe sooner) to
get it back on topic.
For our New Friend & Member[/mod]
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom