What's new

The Golden Rule. Honesty

ffej

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2010
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Fisrt of, I know, I know, no pics it didn't happen.....well it did.

I have been CRH for about two months now 6 or 7 days aweek. I have only $500.00 to play with and keep spending it then dumping to buy new ones. Like I said, everyday I hunt with $500.00, I do $400.00 in nickels and $100.00 in pennies, sometimes dimes. I mix the combonation up to equal $500.00. I don't want any idle time when I could be sorting.

On Wednesday I do $1,500.00 in havles with the same $500.00. I pickup, then sort under a shady tree, dump,pickup,etc......I guess I'm trying to explain why I don't sit down and learn how to post pics and contribute more to this great hobby and site.

I've had some really good finds...walkers, Bens, large cent ( in a half roll ), steel pennies ( 20 in one roll ), indian heads, buffalo, barbers...etc..

Me being the paranoid ex-cop kinda guy, and with all the geotracting with picture and ISP, google earth stuff, I'm just quite at what I do ( so much for that now ;D ), so here is what happened to me today.....

I went on a road trip to scout some new grounds. July has been kinda rough on a new guy. The silver has been tough to find in halves for me.

Stopped in my first bank and asked for halves or any large dollars. The teller said had $9.00, counted them out and I paid her. I waited till we were done and asked her if we were squared. She said yes and told me to have a nice day. I queitly told her that I owed her more money, she said no sir you paid for the halves. Being honest I told her these are not halves they are dollars, she said they are new halves. I then showed her where it said dollar and paid her the proper amount. She thanked me for being honest. I told her it was the golden rule and I'll get repaid somewhere down the line.

Next bank skunk, third bank A couple silver ( only 40%er ).....The teller was a young guy and I asked him to ask the rest of the tellers for halves or large dollars, he did and I got one more keeper, then he said I have one of these showing me the coin as he was walking towards the counter ( i'm thinking it's one of those chucky cheese tokens the mint calls a gold dollar ) then I heard him say but it's $25.00, I'm tired of counting it....I tried to stay calm and laid the worthless $25.00 on the counter as he slipped the MCMLXXVI $25.00 1/2 oz .999 fine Gold coin in my hand. He thanked me for buying it so he didn't have to count it :laughing7:......The moral of this true story is Honesty is the golden rule,..... but don't be stupid :headbang: :headbang: :hello2: :headbang:

IT IS FLIPPING PURDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

Attachments

  • ebay0710 039 (768 x 512).webp
    ebay0710 039 (768 x 512).webp
    85.5 KB · Views: 672
  • ebay0710 040 (768 x 512).webp
    ebay0710 040 (768 x 512).webp
    85.8 KB · Views: 653
Upvote 0
Nice! Hope it's not counterfeit. Get an expert appraisal? I've been watching too much "Pawn stars", sorry.
 
fistfulladirt said:
Nice! Hope it's not counterfeit. Get an expert appraisal? I've been watching too much "Pawn stars", sorry.

Trust me it's real :headbang:
 
Sweet deal, not to often we can pull gold from circulation. :icon_thumright: Congrats!

You must be missing an "X" though. MCMLXXVI is 1976. Presuming MCMLXXXVI for 1986, first year of issue.
 
Wow, congrats! That teller must be pretty dumb...

And we want a pic ::)
 
DigginThePast said:
Sweet deal, not to often we can pull gold from circulation. :icon_thumright: Congrats!

You must be missing an "X" though. MCMLXXVI is 1976. Presuming MCMLXXXVI for 1986, first year of issue.


yeah I left out a X...it's 1986 and I finally figured out how to post a pic ;D
 
wow, how could the teller not know?? It's amazing that tellers don't know very much about currency, it's pretty much their job. That's an awesome score, unreal. It's cool that he showed it to you, and let you buy it. I wonder who was dumb enough to bring that into the bank and trade it in for the 25 bucks?? They could have sold it to a pawn shop for way more money.
 
Well, there were no pics at the time of my first post. I didn't realize it was a St. Gaudens. Looks real to me, congrats on finding the holy grail! ffd
 
WOWWWW.. holly grail of CRH!!!!
 
If only I got that in a roll of halves.. that would've been even more amazing..
 
fistfulladirt said:
Well, there were no pics at the time of my first post. I didn't realize it was a St. Gaudens. Looks real to me, congrats on finding the holy grail! ffd


FFD,

It isn't a St. Gaudens, its a US gold eagle, 1/2 ounce. St. Gaudens are double eagles and have a different reverse (plus only said $20 on the back, even though they weighed almost double a modern 1/2 ounce eagle).

They are easy to determine if real or not. Find the proper specs then weight it and measure it to see if it matches. Gold coins are nearly impossible to make fake and maintain the right weight and measurements (diameter, thickness, etc). Real gold has a certain feel in your hand that is hard to mistake.

Jim
 
That's a great find and a great story. Congratulations!
Today has had its share of great finds: This gold coin, the diamond platinum ring, and that huge 22K gold eagle. I need to go buy a lottery ticket.

Edited to add: I voted banner due to the unusual nature of the find.
 
jim4silver said:
fistfulladirt said:
Well, there were no pics at the time of my first post. I didn't realize it was a St. Gaudens. Looks real to me, congrats on finding the holy grail! ffd


FFD,

It isn't a St. Gaudens, its a US gold eagle, 1/2 ounce. St. Gaudens are double eagles and have a different reverse (plus only said $20 on the back, even though they weighed almost double a modern 1/2 ounce eagle).

They are easy to determine if real or not. Find the proper specs then weight it and measure it to see if it matches. Gold coins are nearly impossible to make fake and maintain the right weight and measurements (diameter, thickness, etc). Real gold has a certain feel in your hand that is hard to mistake.

Jim
I admit my lack of knowledge about gold coins, Jim. I was hyped due to a recent episode on pawn stars, about the lady who brought in a St Gaudens, the owner said it was the most counterfeited coin of all time. Of course, that show is pure entertainment.

ffd
 
fistfulladirt said:
jim4silver said:
fistfulladirt said:
Well, there were no pics at the time of my first post. I didn't realize it was a St. Gaudens. Looks real to me, congrats on finding the holy grail! ffd


FFD,

It isn't a St. Gaudens, its a US gold eagle, 1/2 ounce. St. Gaudens are double eagles and have a different reverse (plus only said $20 on the back, even though they weighed almost double a modern 1/2 ounce eagle).

They are easy to determine if real or not. Find the proper specs then weight it and measure it to see if it matches. Gold coins are nearly impossible to make fake and maintain the right weight and measurements (diameter, thickness, etc). Real gold has a certain feel in your hand that is hard to mistake.

Jim
I admit my lack of knowledge about gold coins, Jim. I was hyped due to a recent episode on pawn stars, about the lady who brought in a St Gaudens, the owner said it was the most counterfeited coin of all time. Of course, that show is pure entertainment.

ffd


I know that many rare year gold coins have been counterfeited, but they make them with real gold in the right proportions, so they are harder to detect as fake. There were counterfeits made of the old US coins-both liberty and Gaudens, that are not easy to detect because they were actually made with real gold. I would never feel comfortable buying a high priced old gold numismatic coin for this reason.

What is interesting is that some of the old foreign gold from other countries made in the early to mid 1800's were counterfeit, but they were made with platinum coated with a certain amount of gold. Platinum is one of the very few metals that can be used to make proper sized counterfeit gold coins because of its heavy weight. Back then gold cost more than platinum.

But as far as detecting modern bullion counterfeits, that is pretty easy if you know what to look for such as the correct dimensions and weight, etc.

Jim
 
That is one NICE! find and one to always remember. Gotta love the picture :thumbsup:
HH..Miner
 
:o congrats on your find, if only the tellers that I go to didn't enjoy counting gold
 
Funny thing is I've been thinking somebody was going to do this exact thing this week! I swear!!
 
Outstanding! I saw this earlier on my mobile and read it to my wife. I told her thats why I am in this hobby. Maybe one day this will happen to me. Awsome find. Amazing anyone can be this dumb to 1) cash this in 2)be a teller who hands it over for $25. Wooo, you had a great day!
 
Thanks for the reply's....It is a 1986 Eagle and i'm 100% sure it's the real deal, I owned a lot of them at one time...sold when gold hit $700.00 I thought that was the ceiling :'(... I think maybe a senior citizen turned it in, or some crackhead figured a pawn shop would ask for ID.....eitherway I've been sitting here watching you guys kill it with the silver while I've been in a slump.....not a dream box but dang sure a dream day....also I forgot to tell you I hit some silver after that.....A good day indeed :thumbsup:....It's going to feebay after the next price jump which I think will happen in the next 7 or 8 day's...Thanks again for the reply's....HH,ffej
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom