Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
By Jaclyn Peiser washingtonpost.com
June 16, 2022 at 7:12 AM EDT

Man illegally excavated Native American site, took artifacts, officials say

A peninsula on the Harry S. Truman Lake in Henry County, Mo., houses a trove of Native American artifacts dating back thousands of years. The site is protected by federal law, and unauthorized excavation is forbidden.
bad_plubicity.jpg

Johnny Lee Brown dug for treasure anyway, federal prosecutors say.

In an 11-count indictment made public on Tuesday, prosecutors allege the 71-year-old Clinton, Mo., resident caused more than $300,000 in damage during excavation trips spanning over five years. Brown’s charges include felony counts for conspiracy, causing damage and defacing archaeological resources and government property.

“According to the Osage Nation, the excavation damage to this archaeological site caused by this conspiracy greatly impacts the cultural history of the Osage Nation, and other affiliated tribes,” the indictment says.

Brown’s attorneys did not immediately respond to requests for comment late Wednesday.

The location of the digs is known locally as “the Tightwad Site” because it’s near Tightwad, Mo., about 90 miles southeast of Kansas City, Mo. The site dates to the Late Archaic Period, which was 3,000 to 5,000 years ago, prosecutors said. Experts say the location’s dense collection of items means the area was once “occupied as a camp site, stone processing site, or both,” court documents say.

Locations like the Tightwad Site are protected by the Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979, which preserves public and Native American lands that “are an irreplaceable part of the Nation’s heritage,” court documents say. The act makes it illegal to excavate or remove items without a permit. It also establishes damaging, altering or defacing the site as felony crimes.

Brown began excavating the site as early as June 2016, prosecutors said. Along with at least two unnamed co-conspirators, Brown allegedly accessed the area by driving on unauthorized access trails or walking to the site. Their visits would last anywhere from about 30 minutes to over three hours, court documents say.

“Brown and co-conspirators used tools ranging from small handheld trowels to full-size shovels, rakes, and hoes to dig, excavate, or otherwise damage, large areas of intact soil to reveal hidden archaeological resources,” the indictment says.

The group allegedly carried firearms and brought buckets, backpacks and containers to transport items from the site. Prosecutors did not specify what artifacts they believe Brown took from the site or say where the items are now.

It is not immediately clear how many times Brown went to the site. Court documents list 10 examples of the alleged excavations in 2016, 2017 and 2020. The financial damage from those visits ranged from $1,440 to $12,960, prosecutors say. The indictment says that investigators were able to track the visits on surveillance cameras.

Brown was arrested Tuesday. His trial is scheduled to begin Aug. 22.

Upvote 2

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fortunately no mention of metal detectors in that report. Unfortunately there is fallout from that kind of criminal behavior that affects all of us here. Most assuredly those who legally search for those kinds of artifacts, or come across them while pursuing some other kind of activity. I urge everyone to report whatever illegal activity they see or have nonrefutable knowledge of. A lot of what we do is out of the public eye and we need to police ourselves. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"...along with at least two unnamed co-conspirators"

"Investigators were able to track the visits on surveillance cameras..."

I am a skeptic - sounds like a set-up.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where can I see these artifacts, that are of great importance to American history?
After I've seen all I can see in a museum, where do I go see more artifacts to view?
why are treasures designated as important to our histories, often times hidden away from scrutiny?
Accepted histories would be constantly challenged, if just anyone is allowed to dig up trash...

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They were destroying archaeological history? Why do they only care about "archaeological history" if an amateur does it?

Don't get me wrong, what this guy did wasn't right, but I think it's laughable to say they were destroying context/history. It's not like archaeologists were doing anything to preserve those artifacts, or give them a context.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why would you call it a setup, they were illegally digging artifacts on public land. Unless federal employees drove them there and gave them shovels and told them to dig there was no setup.

Missouri is rich in Indian artifacts I use to live there, you can legally collect them on private land, but it violates state and federal law to dig them on public land, city, county, state and federal.

Last edited:

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can get behind the destroying comments, I doubt he was griding the area and shooting gps points, there’s a lot of information in how and where artifacts are spaced, everything he collected is much less valuable information wise because it’s all out of context… archaeologists will often only excavate a small portion of a site and defer much of it to the future where hopefully better technologies and techniques will help gather more and better information

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979, which preserves public and Native American lands that “are an irreplaceable part of the Nation’s heritage,” court documents say. The act makes it illegal to excavate or remove items without a permit. It also establishes damaging, altering or defacing the site as felony crimes."
I imagine this is similar in several ways to the laws that keep people from digging up Civil War battle sites, and the cemeteries your family is buried in. Nobody wants grave robbers going after Granny's wedding band.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you call it a setup, they were illegally digging artifacts on public land. Unless federal employees drove them there and gave them shovels and told them to dig there was no setup.

Missouri is rich in Indian artifacts I use to live there, you can legally collect them on private land, but it violates state and federal law to dig them on public land, city, county, state and federal.
Pretty much the law in all 50 States,with some variation plus or minus.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Where did you gleam this information that the other two were unarmed.
The articles mentioned "Firearms" which is plural.

So the investigators had camera-so that is a set up?

Oh I can see the logic in this thinking: Robber of the bank goes to court
Evidence: Camera/video tape of the robbery
Defence: Set up as they knew they would rob the bank, entrapment!

Just hope that one looks at this in a common sense type way.

Zakon KrzyĹĽacki

May 25, 2022
By Jaclyn Peiser washingtonpost.com
June 16, 2022 at 7:12 AM EDT

Man illegally excavated Native American site, took artifacts, officials say

A peninsula on the Harry S. Truman Lake in Henry County, Mo., houses a trove of Native American artifacts dating back thousands of years. The site is protected by federal law, and unauthorized excavation is forbidden.
View attachment 2032360
Johnny Lee Brown dug for treasure anyway, federal prosecutors say.

In an 11-count indictment made public on Tuesday, prosecutors allege the 71-year-old Clinton, Mo., resident caused more than $300,000 in damage during excavation trips spanning over five years. Brown’s charges include felony counts for conspiracy, causing damage and defacing archaeological resources and government property.

“According to the Osage Nation, the excavation damage to this archaeological site caused by this conspiracy greatly impacts the cultural history of the Osage Nation, and other affiliated tribes,” the indictment says.

Brown’s attorneys did not immediately respond to requests for comment late Wednesday.

The location of the digs is known locally as “the Tightwad Site” because it’s near Tightwad, Mo., about 90 miles southeast of Kansas City, Mo. The site dates to the Late Archaic Period, which was 3,000 to 5,000 years ago, prosecutors said. Experts say the location’s dense collection of items means the area was once “occupied as a camp site, stone processing site, or both,” court documents say.

Locations like the Tightwad Site are protected by the Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979, which preserves public and Native American lands that “are an irreplaceable part of the Nation’s heritage,” court documents say. The act makes it illegal to excavate or remove items without a permit. It also establishes damaging, altering or defacing the site as felony crimes.

Brown began excavating the site as early as June 2016, prosecutors said. Along with at least two unnamed co-conspirators, Brown allegedly accessed the area by driving on unauthorized access trails or walking to the site. Their visits would last anywhere from about 30 minutes to over three hours, court documents say.

“Brown and co-conspirators used tools ranging from small handheld trowels to full-size shovels, rakes, and hoes to dig, excavate, or otherwise damage, large areas of intact soil to reveal hidden archaeological resources,” the indictment says.

The group allegedly carried firearms and brought buckets, backpacks and containers to transport items from the site. Prosecutors did not specify what artifacts they believe Brown took from the site or say where the items are now.

It is not immediately clear how many times Brown went to the site. Court documents list 10 examples of the alleged excavations in 2016, 2017 and 2020. The financial damage from those visits ranged from $1,440 to $12,960, prosecutors say. The indictment says that investigators were able to track the visits on surveillance cameras.

Brown was arrested Tuesday. His trial is scheduled to begin Aug. 22.
This is beyond upsetting!

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whenever I hear "unnamed coconspirators" I always think a member of the team was having 2nd thoughts. I can't imagine game cameras up and running, checked consistently, or even a huge expenditure installing remote devices. It sounds like to me, this man had a couple partners, who went to the authorities, who then set up the cameras and waited to catch him on camera. This is why I think it smells fishy.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever I hear "unnamed coconspirators" I always think a member of the team was having 2nd thoughts. I can't imagine game cameras up and running, checked consistently, or even a huge expenditure installing remote devices. It sounds like to me, this man had a couple partners, who went to the authorities, who then set up the cameras and waited to catch him on camera. This is why I think it smells fishy.
Missouri has had problems in the past with illegal artifact hunting, they used trail cams on them too. Bottom line he was breaking state and federal laws digging on public land.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missouri has had problems in the past with illegal artifact hunting, they used trail cams on them too. Bottom line he was breaking state and federal laws digging on public land.
And Feds have unlimited money and resources to use only the best cameras that transmit to a remote location so they can watch and record in comfort as you incriminate yourself. Highly plausible. Dude should have gone somewhere permissible to dig.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Feds have unlimited money and resources to use only the best cameras that transmit to a remote location so they can watch and record in comfort as you incriminate yourself. Highly plausible. Dude should have gone somewhere permissible to dig.
BINGO!.....

There are so many places in Missouri that are rich in artifacts, and you only need to ask permission, I would usually sweeten the pot with "bribes". Seeing a farmer working along the roadside on fences I would stop and talk to them, make friends, and then ask permission to hunt fields when crops are not in the ground or ask permission to walk the creeks on their property, I would sweeten the pot with work gloves, ball caps, etc.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread