watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The past two days I've had the pleasure of hunting the woods with "Kimsdad" along the Des Plaines River.

The weather has been absolutely "Stellar" (as Nick would say :D) and the trees were all in full color. . .
and I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to bring my camera gear along.

We arrived at the woods late morning yesterday and my first solid hit was a lead musket (?) ball which
measured a tad over .50 in diameter (close to .58). I was really surprised, to say the least, that I would find
something like this in our area. . . as all I've been finding have been 12-gauge shells and .22 casings.

About 15-minutes later, I unearthed a lead CrackerJack Trolley near a large tree and not far from that,
a men's copper ring that still had a speck of it's original gold plating. What was unusual about the ring,
it was underneath a 1/2-inch thick piece of brick-like tile which was buried about 4" deep. . . coincidence ???

My next target rang a solid "penny tone" and as I was about to dig, my cell phone rings. . . it was "Kimsdad"
(who was about 50-yards away) saying he just found a 1924 Wheat "and there's still more in the hole". . .
(you'll have to wait for his post :)) After our phone conversation, I finished digging my target which ended up
being a 1929 Wheat. I started spiraling my search path out from there and about 15-feet away, I got another
solid tone. As I started digging, I hit a 2" root about 5" down and right under it, I could see the rim of a
nickel. After wiping away the dirt, my heart started to pound when I could see the faint stars around the rim
and the "V" on the back.

The FIRST rule I was taught after a decent recovery (especially in the woods :wink:), is to curb
your excitement and RE-CHECK the hole. AND the pile of dirt next to it. I'm glad I did because
buried in that pile of dirt was a 1923 Buffalo Nickel.

DSC_6555.JPG

My hunt this morning with "Kimsdad" was full of anticipation. After finding the "V" & "Buffalo"
Nickels the day before, I was really up for a Barber or two ::). It was not meant to be. Instead, I found
a few odds & ends AND, was able to add a "Cow" to my CrackerJack herd (I now have two cows :D).

DSC_6561.JPG

Thanks for looking!
watercolor

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, Mark. I really like the trolley (streetcar) and the cow...sure wish they continued putting real toys in Cracker Jacks, nothing but paper junque nowadays. You didn't sink in the mud did ya? ;D ;D

:wink: RR

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Candy coated popcorn, peanuts and a ...., cool stuff!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Cow the best :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions