An Old Tunnel Discovered Hunting a
Better Trail Between Chuichupa and
Guaynopita – Forest Fires Still Raging
Around Chuichupa Lighting Up the
Mountains at Night and Obscuring the
Sun by Day.
-----
Special Correspondence of the Times.

CHUICHUPA. Via Casas Grandes, Mexico, June 11 – Messrs. J. W. Taylor and A. H. Holmes arrived here yesterday from El Paso, and went on today to Guaynopita, fifteen miles south of Chuichupa. Mr. Taylor is one of the owners of the Guaynopita mine and has spent considerable time there since he became interested in it. His present purpose is look out a route for a better trail between Chuichupa and Guaynopita, with a view to shipping the ore out through here to Casa Grandes and over the Sierra Madre road to El Paso. Heretofore the eastward route from the mine has been followed, leading out by El Valle. But Mr. Taylor is convinced that the Chuichupa route will prove far preferable. The ore will be packed out on burros to Chuichupa. From here it can be hauled in wagons to Casa Grandes, eighty miles over a road good enough so that four horses can take a load of 2,000 to 3,000 pounds. Mr. Holmes is a mining expert who comes to examine and report on the mine.

Messrs. Fowler and Tanby arrived here a few days ago where they were joined by Norris Singleton. The party of four are now over on the Chico, digging through the walls behind which they hope to find a mine, possibly the famous old Tayopa. Whether this will prove to be the site of the great lost gold mine remains to be seen. Mr. Tanby, who is a practical miner, says there are undoubted evidences that some mine has been worked in that vicinity. A day or two ago Singleton discovered the mouth of an old tunnel across the canyon from the discovery, and in a spot now inaccessible on foot. One or more of the party will attempt to reach and explore the tunnel with the aid of a rope.

While some believe that Fowler and Singleton have really found the old Tayopa mine, others think that the famous gold mine must be sought in Hacienda canyon, hear where the Guaynopa trail crosses it and where ruins of reduction works and stone buildings are conspicuous. The ruins at this later place certainly indicate extensive work in some mine nearby. As yet, however, no shaft or tunnel has been discovered there abouts.

Forest fires still rage about Chuichupa, lighting up the mountains with lurid blaze by night and obscuring the sun with smoke by day. The country to the west and northwest of Chuichupa burned over several weeks ago when there was still enough moisture in the ground to start the grass afresh. The Guaynopa country and the Chico valley have burned over more recently and the fires have now reached the very edge of the Chuichupa valley on the south. The only attention which the people here pay to the matter is to set back fires or whip the fires out in the grass with pine boughs whenever it approaches the fences or the plowed fields. There is practically no danger to the town, and there is still plenty of grass in the valley and elsewhere where the ground burned over last month.

The Guaynopa country, however, is entirely bare as far as grass is concerned, and every last prospector has temporarily left, in order to take his animals where they can find feed. A few days ago Messrs. Cox and Trejo of this place and Messrs. Blinn and Oliver of El Paso went down to Guaynopa and had difficulty in getting back before their animals gave out. They found that two burros belonging to the Colorado party, which had played out and been left behind when the party returned to Chuichupa after their outfit was burned several weeks ago had starved to death. And when a burro starves, it is pretty conclusive evidence of scant grazing. At Guaynopa however, there is a large stripe of ground which the fire failed to reach and which is still covered heavily with grass.

El Paso Times (El Paso, Texas) 22 June 1898 – Vol. 18 No. 148.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
The Lost Gold Mine Tayopa.

A Party of Four Hope to Find
It in the Chico District.

An Old Tunnel Discovered Hunting a
Better Trail Between Chuichupa and
Guaynopita – Forest Fires Still Raging
Around Chuichupa Lighting Up the
Mountains at Night and Obscuring the
Sun by Day.
-----
Special Correspondence of the Times.

CHUICHUPA. Via Casas Grandes, Mexico, June 11 – Messrs. J. W. Taylor and A. H. Holmes arrived here yesterday from El Paso, and went on today to Guaynopita, fifteen miles south of Chuichupa. Mr. Taylor is one of the owners of the Guaynopita mine and has spent considerable time there since he became interested in it. His present purpose is look out a route for a better trail between Chuichupa and Guaynopita, with a view to shipping the ore out through here to Casa Grandes and over the Sierra Madre road to El Paso. Heretofore the eastward route from the mine has been followed, leading out by El Valle. But Mr. Taylor is convinced that the Chuichupa route will prove far preferable. The ore will be packed out on burros to Chuichupa. From here it can be hauled in wagons to Casa Grandes, eighty miles over a road good enough so that four horses can take a load of 2,000 to 3,000 pounds. Mr. Holmes is a mining expert who comes to examine and report on the mine.

Messrs. Fowler and Tanby arrived here a few days ago where they were joined by Norris Singleton. The party of four are now over on the Chico, digging through the walls behind which they hope to find a mine, possibly the famous old Tayopa. Whether this will prove to be the site of the great lost gold mine remains to be seen. Mr. Tanby, who is a practical miner, says there are undoubted evidences that some mine has been worked in that vicinity. A day or two ago Singleton discovered the mouth of an old tunnel across the canyon from the discovery, and in a spot now inaccessible on foot. One or more of the party will attempt to reach and explore the tunnel with the aid of a rope.

While some believe that Fowler and Singleton have really found the old Tayopa mine, others think that the famous gold mine must be sought in Hacienda canyon, hear where the Guaynopa trail crosses it and where ruins of reduction works and stone buildings are conspicuous. The ruins at this later place certainly indicate extensive work in some mine nearby. As yet, however, no shaft or tunnel has been discovered there abouts.

Forest fires still rage about Chuichupa, lighting up the mountains with lurid blaze by night and obscuring the sun with smoke by day. The country to the west and northwest of Chuichupa burned over several weeks ago when there was still enough moisture in the ground to start the grass afresh. The Guaynopa country and the Chico valley have burned over more recently and the fires have now reached the very edge of the Chuichupa valley on the south. The only attention which the people here pay to the matter is to set back fires or whip the fires out in the grass with pine boughs whenever it approaches the fences or the plowed fields. There is practically no danger to the town, and there is still plenty of grass in the valley and elsewhere where the ground burned over last month.

The Guaynopa country, however, is entirely bare as far as grass is concerned, and every last prospector has temporarily left, in order to take his animals where they can find feed. A few days ago Messrs. Cox and Trejo of this place and Messrs. Blinn and Oliver of El Paso went down to Guaynopa and had difficulty in getting back before their animals gave out. They found that two burros belonging to the Colorado party, which had played out and been left behind when the party returned to Chuichupa after their outfit was burned several weeks ago had starved to death. And when a burro starves, it is pretty conclusive evidence of scant grazing. At Guaynopa however, there is a large stripe of ground which the fire failed to reach and which is still covered heavily with grass.

El Paso Times (El Paso, Texas) 22 June 1898 – Vol. 18 No. 148.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Nice post Bookaroo, and the Chico district really rings a bell for some reason. For the life of me I can't remember where the district is located though. Something I read a number of years ago, should have taken notes. If you can remember where the Chico district is I would sure appreciate it, even if I can't exactly go running there to start searching. Thanks in advance.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post Bookaroo, and the Chico district really rings a bell for some reason. For the life of me I can't remember where the district is located though. Something I read a number of years ago, should have taken notes. If you can remember where the Chico district is I would sure appreciate it, even if I can't exactly go running there to start searching. Thanks in advance.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Well, there may be more than one, but there is a Chico District in Hidalgo, north of the El Monte de Real district. Lots of silver in the area......

JB

JB

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now it can betold, I am gimg blimdwith a coditiom smilar to cataracts. we wi now with ertainity on the 8 th f next mo. I cammot read internet without a hand held magnifyng glass.
I -perfrmed an interestimng series f exeriments that oead us to this.

when first had a comelete macro hemorage. i experimented with my eyes then I cannot explain expact,nor can any 0ne,to do so.but suddedly I could see my macula. I saw where the hemm orage had started, just to th right of center, and slighthhtly down.I contined to monitor it and then noticed a slight clearing in the lower part, with encouragement I then cancelled my appt asked the va and sugestedthat they give it anather. gradually it worked ti's upward until t was clear, the only thing was that i could see thepoint of the hemmorage5extended slightly downward causing a slight error. after about a year it has cleared up. it the meantime i had a simillar hemmoroge in the right eye which cleared up nicely,,together they took about 3 moreyears.to camepletely clear vup.this concludes the first part

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I gave that last post a "Like", but not for the eye problem, but the "Like" for still keeping us informed. It is very much appreciated sir.

Sorry to hear your sight Don Jose. Reading glasses won't help ? Our maybe jewelry's glasses ? I have used the ones on the left when my regular glasses weren't doing it for me. I had good results unless it is hot and and your forehead sweats.
Jewelers glasses 1.jpg Jewelers glasses 2.jpg icon_salut.gif

Last edited:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XSimon, thanks for te advise. I eventually used the lupe, but I left in Alamos. Now what was/is your problem ?

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simon, the point was how did I look / into my macula it is impossible, yet I did ???//

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Simon, the point was how did I look / into my macula it is impossible, yet I did ???//

It is good to see you posting again. There are so few legends walking among us today. As long as you can, please stay with TreasureNet. You are among family.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
XSimon, thanks for te advise. I eventually used the lupe, but I left in Alamos. Now what was/is your problem ?
I have no excuse except my eyesight is always 20/20 hindsight :laughing7: Thanks for reminding me el Tropical Sunburn, I mean Senor Don Jose. Here is a pic of me with my glasses on
Z
smiley with glasses.jpg Sorry for the intrusion and derailment of your thread Old Bookaroo, but Senor Don Jose was trying to bully me. :tongue3: ( Again ).

Last edited:

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Jose Sorry to hear about your eye sight, your posts show how much you have improved. How are you feeling these days, It's great to see you posting again.

Simon those glasses really suit you, quite handsome :icon_thumleft:

'U'

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi back to you luv, I was thinking, ( which is a bad thing lol ) would it be easier to post in Capitals for you. I am sure everyone would be very happy to do that for you.

Well we are all looking forward to the Royal wedding over here, where we have an American bride. I expect it will be shown on most t.v. channels in the States as well.

No 1 grand son is back from his term of duty in Iraq now. He had a holiday in Mexico before he came home. Told him to give you a wave :icon_thumleft::wink:;D

Take care
Luv 'U'

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now it can betold, I am gimg blimdwith a coditiom smilar to cataracts. we wi now with ertainity on the 8 th f next mo. I cammot read internet without a hand held magnifyng glass.
I -perfrmed an interestimng series f exeriments that oead us to this.

when first had a comelete macro hemorage. i experimented with my eyes then I cannot explain expact,nor can any 0ne,to do so.but suddedly I could see my macula. I saw where the hemm orage had started, just to th right of center, and slighthhtly down.I contined to monitor it and then noticed a slight clearing in the lower part, with encouragement I then cancelled my appt asked the va and sugestedthat they give it anather. gradually it worked ti's upward until t was clear, the only thing was that i could see thepoint of the hemmorage5extended slightly downward causing a slight error. after about a year it has cleared up. it the meantime i had a simillar hemmoroge in the right eye which cleared up nicely,,together they took about 3 moreyears.to camepletely clear vup.this concludes the first part

Hi Real,

Hey websites have started using software that can compensate for vision problems, cant remember what its called but if you talk to an expert they can tell you what to do to make the change on you computer so it works with the software. Same goes for those hearing impaired.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread