The Making of a Treasure - recycling

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
My wife and I have been metal detecting together for over 20 years, it's a common bond we have that just enriches our marriage just that much more. During this time we have gathered some interesting treasure to say the least, but to keep the story as short as possible we will only go into the gold finds.
A friend of mine from Delaware was visiting me one Saturday afternoon and the discussion of metal detecting as usual pops up as we both have been on many adventures together. He shows me a silver 8 reale he purchased from the Smithsonian Institute that was found on the Spanish shipwreck Nuestra Senora de Atocha by Mel Fisher on July 20th 1985. It was truly awesome to be holding something so old!
After chatting a bit we came up with the plan to get another friend for ours to take all the misfit gold finds we found (my wife and I's) to him as a jeweler in Wilmington, De. And cast a mold of the coin. So he took all our gold finds and melted them down into 24k and did just that! We are very happy with the results and thought we would share with you an idea that otherwise would just be junk gold finds. Not saying gold is junk but otherwise wouldn't have the beauty or conversation piece it now has.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
that is a great idea. i recycle all my clad and then buy a silver eagle here and there. if i ever start finding some gold rings or any gold for that fact that would be awesome to do.

OP
OP
R

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
Trying to post pictures but for some reason will not allow me where in past posts I have been able to?
Any ideas why it stopped allowing me?

OP
OP
R

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
Not it at all, the click image box is grey out not letting me even upload a file or choose the upload a file?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread