The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey!! I made it back. I thought you might like to see some of the pictures I took. I'm not really proud of them as I was using a new (borrowed) camera. Frankly, I believe the Olympus is much better than this Cannon. But, I guess beggars can't be choosy. :laughing7:

Photos #1 and 2 aren't terribly exciting, but I'm eternally amazed at how well the old pack-mule trail has stood the "test of time" in some places. #1 is about 3/4 mile below Briceburg. #2 is across from RailRoad Flats campground.

Attachments

• Quartz vein 025.jpg
    Quartz vein 025.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,048
  • Quartz vein 032.jpg
    Quartz vein 032.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,051
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This first one is the spot where we took the 3 1/2+ pounds of nuggets out of one little crevasse. (About 8 ft of overburden.) The second one was taken from about 150 ft upriver, just to show how high the river can get sometimes. As you can see, this is a very wide spot, so the water had to really be roaring to get that high. (See where the bank is washed out, about 10 ft or so above where the water is now.
This 3rd one is just to show that every river has a "House Rock". :laughing9:

Attachments

• Quartz vein 024.jpg
    Quartz vein 024.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,965
  • Quartz vein 046.jpg
    Quartz vein 046.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,137
  • Quartz vein 047.jpg
    Quartz vein 047.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,101
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thursday morning, before it got too hot, I took the time to go to the upper end of McCabe Flats to see if the tunnel was still there.
In the first photo, the tunnel still exists, but the BLM put a gate in it. (You'll have to look closely to see it inside). Sorry, but I couldn't figure out how to get the flash to work. :dontknow:
Photo #2 is a bunch of mortar holes in front of the mine. I'm not sure if these were made by the Native Americans or the miners. The configuration doesn't seem to be quite right for Natives. (Too close together.)

Attachments

• Quartz vein 027.jpg
    Quartz vein 027.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,096
  • Quartz vein 031.jpg
    Quartz vein 031.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,150
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hokay, I have a few more, but, I'm starving, so I'll be back after I have a bite......or two. :laughing9: :laughing9:

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hokay, this one is the old apple tree at the lower end of Pete's place. I could see some apples on the higher branches, but, if I can afford to make another trip up in the next 2 or 3 weeks, I'm going to have to cross over and cut back some of the grape vines before they strangle the apple tree. Towards the end of October, it use to have some of the largest, juiciest, sweetest yellow apples I've ever eaten. You know, the kind that you bite into and the juice runs down and drips off of your chin. :headbang: :laughing7:

Attachments

• Quartz vein 035.jpg
    Quartz vein 035.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,144
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These next two are some of the things you need to keep a sharp watch for when you're out roaming the hills. A sure sign that someone probably lived there, and probably mined for gold close by. I always look for anomalies when I'm out poking around. If it doesn't fit the terrain, check it out closer. :headbang:

Attachments

• Quartz vein 044.jpg
    Quartz vein 044.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Quartz vein 041.jpg
    Quartz vein 041.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,046
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked out that wall in the first photo above back in 1978, that led me to discover these next two photos. I guess that they lived there. (Above the wall.)

Attachments

• Quartz vein 042.jpg
    Quartz vein 042.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,013
  • Quartz vein 043.jpg
    Quartz vein 043.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,015
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told the story sometime back about finding a mine up in Goods Gulch. Both of the graves in the previous pictures are near the mouth of Goods Gulch. I guess it's possible that they were the ones working the mine. If so, that could explain why somebody just walked off and left it while there was still gold to be taken out. :dontknow:
This next picture is where a tunnel "was", near the mouth of Goods Gulch.
Sorry that it's so hard to see, as I said, the Cannon digital camera seems to be highly over-touted. (And over-priced). ::)

Attachments

• Quartz vein 045.jpg
    Quartz vein 045.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,076
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This next one really "Frosts My Preserves"!! I dredged about 100 yards or so above this. At that time, it showed nothing but boulders. Now look at it. Thats a big section of bedrock going all the way across. Can you imagine dredging there?? I wonder how much would be accumulated inside the circle I drew??? :o :headbang:
This second photo refers to the cabin site that no one knew anything about. It probably preceeded the RR. The cabin site is at the base of the tree line at the top of the photo. This photo was taken about 50 ft up the road from where I took the previous photo.

And, the final photo for now; just before dark, Brother Red-Tail hawk lit on a tree nearby to tell me good night.

I'll be back tomorrow to tell you about the gold bearing quartz vein.

Thanks for dropping in!!

Eagle

Attachments

• Quartz vein 049.jpg
    Quartz vein 049.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,015
  • Cabin site 050.jpg
    Cabin site 050.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 996
  • Quartz vein 033.jpg
    Quartz vein 033.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 978

Flakmagnet

Sep 8, 2011
Nice pictures...very evocative.
Brings back lots of good memories.
Thank you for taking the time.

I have to get up there myself one of these days...

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle--I'm back and you're back--great to hear from you again, and great to see all of the new pictures. Trust me, if I lived in your neck of the woods, we'd be stomping the gold trails together. I hope some people are taking you up on your generous offers to tramp the brush with you in your search for the gold.

I got some gold this summer, but not as much as usual--didn't get the dredge permit approved--long story.

I did get some detecting done and found a few nice pieces.

Why are you considering moving? Is California getting too restrictive? I know they've shut down dredging (do you know for how long?). As I said in another post, with the two dredges I own, I'd also be in the river dredging with you--I really love dredging. Detecting and dredging are now my two favorites. I've shoveled enough for a lifetime, and there's nothing so beautiful as lying on the bottom of the stream, breathing compressed air, watching the fish hunt and protect their territory in crystal clear waters. Spying a newly uncovered nugget tight in the bedrock is a five-star viewing event as well.

All the best my friend,

Lanny

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halito My Friends,

My deepest apologies for being gone for so long. Normally, I can find a couple of hours here and there to come in and post, but the last couple of weeks have been unusually hectic. The few times I have opened the thread and started writing, after one or two lines, I've been interrupted and unable to get back that day. For instance; the night that I last posted, it was right at twilight and I had noticed that the temp. had dropped a little, (later determined to be 12 degrees in 15 minutes.) Anyway, I heard a noise outside and went out to check and found that internal pressure in my Ford had caused the hatch window to explode. That caused me to completely forget about coming back in and posting.

Well, I'm sure you're not interested in the orders that came in from my website, or the order for 5 Cedar, Native American Flutes that I craft, so, other than that, everything else is fine, and I again apologise.

Thanks for your patience!!!

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flakmagnet said:
Nice pictures...very evocative.
Brings back lots of good memories.
Thank you for taking the time.

I have to get up there myself one of these days...

Good idea my Friend!! Take your spouse and young ones up there. Who knows, it might turn into a favorite vacation destination. :headbang: :laughing7:

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny in AB said:
Eagle--I'm back and you're back--great to hear from you again, and great to see all of the new pictures. Trust me, if I lived in your neck of the woods, we'd be stomping the gold trails together. I hope some people are taking you up on your generous offers to tramp the brush with you in your search for the gold.
Actually, as far as prospecting is concerned, I'd rather live in your "neck of the woods". :laughing9: One of my friends contacted me about a meeting, but unfortunately, when I got into Mariposa, I found that for some reason, my cellphone couldn't connect to "roaming", though I tried different locations, including the area where he was. (Triangle Rd.)

I got some gold this summer, but not as much as usual--didn't get the dredge permit approved--long story.

I did get some detecting done and found a few nice pieces.

I know, I went into your thread; http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=453.new;topicseen#new
Doggone it!! I'm 'almost' jealous. :laughing7: :laughing7:

Why are you considering moving? Is California getting too restrictive? I know they've shut down dredging (do you know for how long?). As I said in another post, with the two dredges I own, I'd also be in the river dredging with you--I really love dredging. Detecting and dredging are now my two favorites. I've shoveled enough for a lifetime, and there's nothing so beautiful as lying on the bottom of the stream, breathing compressed air, watching the fish hunt and protect their territory in crystal clear waters. Spying a newly uncovered nugget tight in the bedrock is a five-star viewing event as well.

The last I heard, "they" had extended the moritorium for another 5 years!! To me, that means there will never be any more dredging in CA. Of course, it's not only getting too restrictive in mining/prospecting, but also everything else. CA is a "Police State". I guess that one of these days, if you're outside of your home, you'll be arrested for "Public Exposure". :dontknow: :laughing7:

Back in the days, I use to keep some fishing line hooked on the bottom of my dredge floats with some red salmon eggs on the hook. When I was through dredging for the day, I'd unroll the line and let the hook and bait drift back into the discharge. Presto! I had a nice trout dinner that night. :laughing9: :laughing9:

Thanks for posting my Friend,

Eagle

All the best my friend,

Lanny

DaCapt

Apr 24, 2011
Reno,Nevada
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great reading! Thank you all for making my day! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hokay, I'm back from Home Depot so let me see if I can get this short story posted. This is another one that I have to leave names and certain parts out, as the ones involved are still very much among the living. (Perhaps intoxicated, but still alive). :laughing7:

It was about the middle of March when I setting up my 5" dredge on Bear Creek. D..... showed up just to visit for a half hour or so. While there, he told me the following story about a find that he had made.

"I was up at xxxxxxx's house. We were all drinking and having a good time when XXXX came up and tried to start a fight with me". (Nothing unusual here). :laughing7: "I was sober enough to know that I was too drunk to fight, so I got up and left".

"There was no moon that night and as I walked down Colorado Rd. I wandered off of the road and rolled down the embankment to the bottom of the wash". I knew I couldn't get back out in the dark, so I curled up and went to sleep". "When I woke up in the morning, at first I couldn't figure out where I was, and as I looked around, about 5 foot away, I noticed a hefty little nugget sticking up out of the dirt. I went to pick it up and couldn't move it. So, I brushed about a quarter inch of dirt away and found that it was imbedded in a quartz vein. I brushed some more dirt off of the vein and could see more gold, so I picked up a nearby rock and beat on the quartz until I broke off these two pieces".

He then pulled two tennis ball size chunks of quartz out of his pocket to show me. One of the pieces had sheared off so that one side, (about 3" X 2") was fairly flat and was about a 16 of an inch layer of gold. The rest of the piece was dotted here and there with "match-head" size nuggets of gold.

The other piece was showing gold in veins up to a quarter inch thick. Truly beautiful specimens of show-piece quality.

He didn't tell me where he found them, but knowing where the party was going on, and knowing where the wash is, I don't think it would take long to find with a good metal detector.

I use to have a friend who lived on Colorado Rd., just below this find and when there was water flowing in this wash (which was seldom), he would set up his sluice box and shovel in the surrounding materials. He always astounded me with the amount of raw gold he came up with.

I spent some time studying geology maps of the area, and as far as I could tell, the vein where he made his find is an "off-shoot" from the Colorado Mine. At least the strata is right for it. And, the Colorado mine is a very rich mine that is still sporadically operated.

I never tried to find his vein, as I didn't have a metal detector at the time and I'm reasonably sure that it is on private property with the owners living nearby. But, who knows, perhaps on one of my trips to Mariposa, I'll take the time to locate the vein, then contact the owners to let them know where it is, (for a piece of the action). :laughing7:

familyhunter

Oct 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eagle down i`m so glad I found this forum and your post the very first story you told about the cave and the dead men inside of it is of great interest to me I believe one of the men inside may be my great grand father and would greatly appreciate a detailed way to get their or to meet up with you I live in modesto not far from mariposa

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halito to all of My Friends,

Just a short post here to let you know that my friend Roger and I will be leaving here early
Monday morning, (10/24/11), and heading up to the Merced River.

We will be staying in the last campground downriver. "RailRoad Flats".

If you have the opportunity, meet us there and you can have a guided tour of the area,
courtesy of yours truly. :laughing7: :laughing7:
or, if you just want to show up and shoot the breeze, you'd be more than welcome. We'll
be staying at least 2 days, perhaps longer. Actually, if this MXT can find me some gold, I'd
have a hard time tearing myself away. :laughing9:

Anyway, if you can make it, I'd love to meet you.

Love and Respect,

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another delayed post. :dontknow:

I got home from our trip to the Merced and found 3 orders waiting to be filled.
While I was downloading and printing the invoices, another order came in. :help:
Anyway, between the orders and other necessary business, I've been really busy.
Add the fact that my room mate/tenent was walking to the store (a block away)
and while crossing the street, was hit by a car doing an estimated 35mph. Not
sure yet if she'll walk again. (5 cracked vertebrae, 3 blood clots in her lungs, 4
broken ribs and torn ligaments in her left leg, plus, she's about 80lbs over weight).

BUT, the good news is, while scouting around, I found that all isn't lost as far
as the ancient Spanish mine is concerned.

If you read the earlier post, you'll remember that the BLM had sealed the portal
up, to where I thought it was lost to everyone. Well, during my "scouting", I
noticed a place up a gulch where some raw clay had been exposed by the last
rains in that area. I went over to check it out for possible panning materials, and
spotted a hole in the back, at the base of the wash-out. While looking into the
hole, I realised that I was looking into the tunnel the Spaniards had dug. :headbang:

I did take pictures to share with you, but, this new camera is giving me a hard
time getting use to it. I connected it to my computer and somehow, the pictures
disappeared into "cyberspace". I've tried every place I can think of and can't find
them. And, of course, while the computer was stealing them, it wiped all of them
from the camera card. SO, I guess I'll have to go back up to take some more. And
this time, I'll have my spot light so that I can take a good look in the hole.

Other than most of the above, I had great time. I got to meet familyhunter and
his buddy Ray. A very enjoyable visit and "gabfest". :laughing7:

After the bills are paid, I'll know if I can afford to return to take some more photos
and perhaps even go down into the old mine. (MAYBE) Actually, I'm not overly
fond of any mines, new or old. :laughing7: Onetime, back in the early 60's,
I worked for Union Carbide up above Bishop, CA. Miles of tunnels. (and a foot of
water in all of them). (lol) As I was a mine electrician, that water could be hazardous
to your health. I only stayed in the mine a week, then went back down to the
metalurgy lab.

But, I digress. I will hopefully be able to go back up to the Merced Wed. or Thurs.
If so, I'll let you know as early as possible, (in case anyone is interested).

Love and Respect,

Eagle

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Yep, we're interested Eagle !

Those of us to far away to actually GO there, are enjoying your well-written narratives. So, keep 'em coming !

Diggem'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread