The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
that railroad grade ain't the easiest either! Looks flat- nada. Walked into Solomon Gulch several years ago, weeds knee high and wet from dew. It was spring time, snakes were out but we didn't see any. Rocks and holes all along that grade. My canteen broke back in there. No water or beer, it was tough!
Also years ago, I bought a mountain bike to traverse that campside road when front gate was locked. Practicing on my road at home, found my knees wouldn't hold up. For some of you young kids, might be a thought tho.

rlucasm

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first 2 miles going up the YVRR grade from bagby is not too bad, it's a lot of sand. Some friends and I hiked Briceburg to Bagby back in June, that last leg with all the sand was the worst though. I noticed the road along schilling creek, never been down it.

Also, very interesting to see work done on the josephine mine. I was there in January and it was just as abandoned as ever. The adit had collapsed and the main drift was full of water. I went back in July and there was some heavy equipment there. Haven't been back since, might have to go check it out to see if the guys operating the rig are nice and will answer some questions.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Eagle,
I'm in CA for a couple days and way too far south. Wish I was up there, but the plane landed in San Diego and wouldn't detour. Someday sooner than later I hope I can hike a couple spots with ya and others as well. Maybe by that time they'll allow dredging. But there probably won't be much room for this desert rat.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Eagle,
I'm in CA for a couple days and way too far south. Wish I was up there, but the plane landed in San Diego and wouldn't detour. Someday sooner than later I hope I can hike a couple spots with ya and others as well. Maybe by that time they'll allow dredging. But there probably won't be much room for this desert rat.
Wouldn't detour?? Has the term "Hijack" lost all meaning?? (lol) Just kidding Brother. Our time will come.......And, there's always room for one more!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle,

I trust you had a good Christmas, and I'm here to wish you a happy new year. I hope you'll be able to get out lots in 2014, and I hope you'll find some big, sassy nuggets with your detector as well.

All the best, and your thread just keeps growing and growing--many congratulations,

Lanny

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wouldn't detour?? Has the term "Hijack" lost all meaning?? (lol) Just kidding Brother. Our time will come.......And, there's always room for one more!!
Well my request was being made from the back of the plane. So by the time the pilot got my request we were already descending??? Only a 45 minute flight. Lol

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle,

A great big happy new year to you!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle,

I trust you had a good Christmas, and I'm here to wish you a happy new year. I hope you'll be able to get out lots in 2014, and I hope you'll find some big, sassy nuggets with your detector as well.

All the best, and your thread just keeps growing and growing--many congratulations,

Lanny

Eagle,

A great big happy new year to you!

All the best,

Lanny
Thank you My Brother!! And may the new year find you blessed with more gold than you can carry home in one trip!!

chupacabra

Jul 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_9968.jpg

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The site shepcal shared has the link to the civil war event as well in that area... I plan on coming to it if anyone here attends I'll let you know for sure if I make it, and maybe look to meet up with some people

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Eagle, Mark and I are going to Briceburg tomorow, thought we might wade across the Merced and check out the foundation up close and personal

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Eagle, Mark and I are going to Briceburg tomorow, thought we might wade across the Merced and check out the foundation up close and personal
I'll see if I can join you there, to cheer you on. (lol)

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rob and I went down to Bagby the weekend before last. Hiked along the North Side. I was planing on hitting one of the creeks spilling in from the North. We didn't make it that far. We did come across the field with the 32 - 33 Ford and the upsided down Ford or Dodge and decided to hunt around there for a bit. Lots of transmission parts and clutch plates and such. No great finds, but it was a fun hike. Saw all you guys down under the bridge. Sorry, didn't make it over to chat. Next time for sure. I was surprised to see so many people prospecting Bagby.

New Years day, my wife scored a badly beaten Chinese coin. Also checked out Hites cove area. Apparently I'm going to need a 4x4 for some of these areas.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there my friend. Just dropped in to say hello.

I hope you're getting out and finding a few things.

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. Do these photos bring back any memories?

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html
Sweet, sweet memories!! Unfortunately, memories are all we have left in California. It wouldn't surprise me one iota if they put a 'moritorium' on metal detecting for gold next.

Yep, I've been getting out more often, but I'm starting to run out of containers for all of the trash I'm collecting. (lol) Sure don't know what I'm going to do with all of the lead, since it's illegal to use here also, I was down on the Merced river today and brought home some more lead and unidentifiable junk. Still, it was an enjoyable day.

Thanks for dropping in my Brother.

Love and Respect,

Eagle

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Lanny you forgot to post the pictures of the fruits of your labor. Reminds me of when we could legally dredge.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend Eagle,

Where are you? Are you out on another adventure? Or, are you deep into your publishing mode?

I trust all is well, and all the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html
All of the above??

No, I've been getting out prospecting and meeting people at every opportunity. Still looking for that glory hole. But, now I'm about out of gas and money until the first of next month. So, I'll probably be doing a little more posting in the interum. Besides, not many posting in this thread lately and especially no questions, so I've been looking at your thread and the beautiful photos you've put up Brother.

Thanks for asking!!

Eagle

PS, Thanks also for posting pictures here, now I don't have to travel so far to get a look at some eye candy. (lol)

Last edited:

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle
I got a question. I'm debating on a new detector. Thinking about the GMT or go to the GB 2. I've been told that the GB 2 is a must have to find the small stuff. Either that, keep saving money and keep digging and saving my finds till I cash it in for the amazing 5000. But by the time I save it up. It might be the Gpx5500 or higher. Since I think they call it based on price. Or maybe save for the ATX. Though I will say, it felt heavy at the GPAA show this last weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread