The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

Happy belated birthday....
Damn Eagle I didnt know it was your birthday happy bday hope it was a good one and chemtrails most certainly exist I dont know who this friend is but he needs to open his eyes
Didn't know. Happy belated Birthday!

Headed to AZ tonight. When I get back, I'll take you to a BD lunch!

Shep

Thank you my friends. I wasn't really fishing for birthday cards, I just thought it curious that Tnet didn't say anything. (lol)

Eagle make sure you sign up for Etsy, you can sell your book digitally, you even sell short stories or chapters of the book before the book is completed and you can save a ton in printing costs.

Eagle make sure you sign up for Etsy, you can sell your book digitally, you even sell short stories or chapters of the book before the book is completed and you can save a ton in printing costs.
I'm checking it out Brother. Thanks!!

Happy birthday from TNet. Lol
I didn't get a wish either. Then again I don't have as active a site as you or others. Lol
Seriously Eagle, happy bday my friend. Hope there's many more years of nugget hunting in you. Hopefully soon we could do that hunt together.
Separate note. I'm looking to head up towards rich hill area this week. So I'll start checking out some areas for us to hit.

Happy birthday from TNet. Lol
I didn't get a wish either. Then again I don't have as active a site as you or others. Lol
Seriously Eagle, happy bday my friend. Hope there's many more years of nugget hunting in you. Hopefully soon we could do that hunt together.
Separate note. I'm looking to head up towards rich hill area this week. So I'll start checking out some areas for us to hit.
Great!! Let me know what the weather is like. Rich Hill area is where I'd like to go. I've wanted to go there for many years, but never have made it. Rich Hill's getting closer every day. (lol)

I'm hoping to get up there. I'm going to see if I can borrow quad from uncle. Got to hit my mapping program to see if there's open areas still. Just haven't fully played with it. Got lots of places to go. So little time.
I think that'd be a great bday present for ya. A couple RH Nugs in your pocket. Then rubbing it in that you found them and I didn't. Maybe. I think that's where I'll find my first nugget. Detecting that is.
Then again. I will be digging and detecting as I sluice this time. I normally don't scan the hole as I go. But since that nugget popped into my sluice. I'll start this as part of my routine.

Well darnit! I believe this is the first year since I've been with Tnet that I didn't get any birthday wishes on the 27th, Actually, my birthday was on the 26th, but due to one of my typos, Tnet has it for the 27th. Or maybe I was trying to hold off the occasion. (lol)

Happy belated B-Day Eagle!! All your stories, advice, and kindness is a gift for me and all us readers year round. wish there was a gift us readers and or i could give to you. maybe when detecting(if i ever get a detector and am able to go detect with you) i'll give you my first find(or split it with you if its over an ounce :laughing7:).

happy birthday eagle! I would sing you a song but would to type it so it wouldn't be the same. your still my favorite site god bless you. dave

Hi Eagle,

It is with great interest and fond memories that I'm reading this thread. I haven't made it through all 99 pages yet, but I am thoroughly enjoying your stories about the Briceburg area. I moved to Yosemite in 1980 and after finding my first flakes on Hall's Gulch, I was bitten by the "gold bug". I spent the next 6 years panning, sluicing, busting cracks and moving boulders all over the area. I even dabbled in some hard-rock mining for a year. Needless to say, it was probably the best 6 years of my life. I'm now in my fifties, and have been patiently waiting for judicial litigation to end on a lawsuit involving a large amount of stock I own (long story), but if I ever get paid for my shares, I'm looking forward to buying a formidable piece of property in/and/or around the Whitlock, Colorado, Midpines area..... retire, and spend the rest of my days "playing in the dirt ". Although, I'm going to go about it much differently than I did 30 years ago..... needless to say, this old body doesn't quite work the way it used to. In reading some of your stories, I'm wondering if we ever met during the eighties.... we sure have a lot in common. Anyway, here are some of my memories from the El Portal to Bagby area:

Over those 6 years, I covered every square-inch of Bear Creek from Midpines to Briceburg. I spent many a night camped out underneath the Hwy. 140 bridge at the top of the Briceburg grade. At the turnout just below there with the cedar tree where you found the merc dime, I found a "Doctor Kilmer's Swamp Root Kidney and Liver Cure" bottle. I was told that the rock foundations, etc. at that spot was once a whorehouse back in the day.

I remember many a greasy burger at the Octagon (and when I say "greasy", I mean the best-tasting, most satisfying grub... especially after a hard days work busting cracks). I used to head down to the Bear behind the Octagon (with permission) and camp on the flats below. I actually had a close "bear encounter" one night...... imagine, a black bear on Bear Creek!

One time, I had a terrible urge to pan Saxon Creek. I jumped into the Merced about an 1/8th mile upstream from Saxon, swam/floated/flailed across and had about my best day panning ever! Got a 14-gram quartzy nugget!

Nugget1.jpg

I knew Jack Bass well (and his "less-than-desirable" nephews). I sold him my 1967 mustang that broke down (motor seized) when my wife at the time let it run out of water and oil and left on the side of the highway near Jack's.

I remember that there was another "hermit miner" (not Pete?) that lived either on Saxon or Sherlock. I think his name was either Guy or Gus. He had some bikers giving him problems on his claim, so he hauled off and shot one of them in the ass!

For one summer, I worked the Cranberry Mine (across the canyon from Cedar Lodge). Grover Hoskins leased the hard-rock mine from Jim Law in El Portal. We used "weepy" dynamite from old man Bob Metzler at Ned's Gulch.

I used to frequently visit the LeMire family who lived in an underground hogan at Hite's Cove during that time. Ron was a real nice guy, showed me around the mines, and I was good friends with his son Alfie... I panned and sluiced quite a bit on the South Fork of the Merced, even when the trail was closed for the summer, with permission from Lettie at Savage's Trading Post. As I panned closer and closer to Hite's, the gold started to become covered with mercury. Did you ever hear the tale of the assayer's safe that was lost into the river at Hite's during a big flood in the late 1800's? It was full of amalgam, and I'm sure it's still there, in the bottom of the river, somewhere..........

I used to do yearly assessment work for a few claim owners in the area. I spent a few days re-building the mine entrance to the Gold Star mine. It still stands to this day.

Anyway, there are so many other tales to tell. Thanks again for the memories. I'm looking forward to reading more of the pages in this remarkable thread. If I ever fulfill my dream of moving back up there, we'll have to get together and swap more stories and experiences.

Regards,

Rick

Last edited:
Happy belated B-Day Eagle!! All your stories, advice, and kindness is a gift for me and all us readers year round. wish there was a gift us readers and or i could give to you. maybe when detecting(if i ever get a detector and am able to go detect with you) i'll give you my first find(or split it with you if its over an ounce :laughing7:).
Thank you Brother!!

A gift of cash is always nice. (lol) After all is said and done, that's pretty much what gold means to me. (just another form of money) I find it, sell it for as much as I can, then buy groceries. With almost 117,000 visits to this thread, I can't help but wonder that if everyone who really likes my stories would send $5.00 to my paypal acct, how much would I have, to continue my prospecting and writing. Probably at least $15.00. (lol)

Thanks for the thought and the happy B-Day!!

happy birthday eagle! I would sing you a song but would to type it so it wouldn't be the same. your still my favorite site god bless you. dave
Thank you Brother!!

That's hokay, I don't get excited about anyone singing Happy Birthday. Your post is plenty good for me.

Love and Respect,

Eagle

Rowdy Yates, (Rick)

Thanks for your posting!! I imagine our paths have crossed, maybe several times. Hope everything turns out good for you so that one of these days, we can meet and share our experiences.

Bob Metzler was the old man that told me about the bullion truck that ended up in the river.

Last edited:
Happy Birthday Master Eagle looking forward to seeing you soon, just not this weekend , sorry.

Thanks Rick for the short preview of storys, I love the merced river area i wish i lived closer so I could take in more time on her, I regret not getting down to bedrock in 2008 I was close and was pulling nice pickers at about 5 feet but I got dangerous surrounded by rocks that could cave in on me any time, that last weekend has haunted me, the rusty packed material, the smell of sulphur, and the excitement of wondering what the next foot of material might hold.

pickers from bagby4.jpg

Hey brother
Man this is great. I posted on our AZ groups site about going to Stanton and hopefully Rich Hill this weekend and several TNeters are possibly meeting up there. Sure wish you could make it Eagle. If I had the money if send it to ya so you could hunt here as a bday present. Could imagine just sitting around the fire and listening to the master talk about days gone by or about the days finds. Once again my friend, happy birthday to you.....happy birthday to you.....happy birthday to our friend Eagle....Happy birthday to you. You can add the music. Just imagine all your TNet family around the fire and singing it to you in our wonderful singing voices.
I think I could speak for most of us. We love you and all you do. You keep us smiling and going for the gold today and tomorrow.

Hey brother
Man this is great. I posted on our AZ groups site about going to Stanton and hopefully Rich Hill this weekend and several TNeters are possibly meeting up there. Sure wish you could make it Eagle. If I had the money if send it to ya so you could hunt here as a bday present. Could imagine just sitting around the fire and listening to the master talk about days gone by or about the days finds. Once again my friend, happy birthday to you.....happy birthday to you.....happy birthday to our friend Eagle....Happy birthday to you. You can add the music. Just imagine all your TNet family around the fire and singing it to you in our wonderful singing voices.
I think I could speak for most of us. We love you and all you do. You keep us smiling and going for the gold today and tomorrow.
Halito My Brother,

Thank you for your praise!! That's almost as good as a trip to Rich Hill. (Not quite though). (lol) Though I'm not big on crowds, I wish I could be there this week-end. It would be a good time for all. I hope you have plenty of campfire wood for when I do get there. (And coffee). (lol)

Eagle my southern brother,

How did I not know it was your birthday? Regardless, a great big happy birthday to you!! (Later is much, much better than never.)

Here's a genuine Canadian picture I took for you from all the way up here in the Great White North. I've kept it chilled all this time so it would be fresh and very cool for your birthday. Ha, ha!

I hope you had a great one Eagle, and all the best to you,

Lanny

Hi Eagle,

Happy late B-Day. I started reading your thread a week ago and it was hard to put it down. I am new to the whole gold prospecting thing but I feel like I have learned an enormous amount from reading your posts. My son and I went hiking in Briceburg a few weeks back and had a great time just going down the river trail to the north fork. It was his first time there and my second time. I plan on going up there more often now and I am trying to convince my wife and girls to come along. Anyway thank you for all of the knowledge you are sharing and hopefully I will see you on the river some day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back