The ones that got away

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking to my mother last weekend, and she was telling me a story that happened at work earlier this year...

She was collecting money as a charitable contribution to some agency in need, and one of her coworkers (an older lady) wanted to contribute $5. So the old gal came into work with half a roll of Walkers and gave it to my mom as her contribution. My mom didn't think much until she got back to her desk to put in the cash box and realized that they were all old halves- So she tried to return them to the old gal but was politely refused. My mom felt bad keeping them though because she knows they are worth more than face, and called the old womans family. Needless to say, the family quickly came and replaced them with some valueless form of $5. I guess my mom did the right thing, but I wouldn't have if I were in her shoes. I told her to save them for me next time!

Upvote 0

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
Reminds me of the time years ago when I helped my friend at church one Sunday count the special coin offering that was going on. There were 3 of us in there with hundreds of pounds of coins sorting, stacking and rolling. The only thing I was interested in at the time was wheaties and foreign. As I sorted the pennies, I would flip them all over to see if they were a wheat and then put them in a pile. I collected 20 or 30 wheaties and some Canadian and then gave $2 or $3 in replacement. I could kick myself thinking about the possibility of silver. I never even thought about looking for it then, just the wheaties. :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread