The past 2 weeks has been slow at my fovorite place heres some of it anyway

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well last week wasn't so good & neither was this past Wednesday, sure plenty of money makers but no real treasures. Anyway here are some items out of a $17.50 pallet from this past Wednesday & again it's only some of it.

2 Funseekers small water ballet 2003 Janis Joplin ceramic inlaid glaze? plates (westland giftware). Not many up for sale & when they are they do sell for $15 + $8-$9 shipping each.

Carved wood scoop or ? of some sort? You tell me what it's for, oh & it's signed too. Anyone know?

Vintage Gold foil etched, textured United States map sealed in plastic with faux or real but cheap leather border & backing + a velvet back with a hook.. can't find one like it to get a value but it's pretty cool looking!

2 decks of old KEM playing cards in the boxes with a trademark from 1935 (hard to get value on maybe $25-$35)

2 carved bookends (Equator), carved set of coasters & case (India), carved tiki type thing (New Zealand) & a hand painted cutting board (I'm guessing German for some reason) no real value anyhow I don't think! Oh a vintage orange plastic pitcher with a candle flame type design on the sides.

Nice leaded cut crystal stemmed goblet etched/frosted "Ulster Bank Cricket League" & a design/logo. & etched on the bottom is Tyrshe with a little castle above it, can't find another. An unmarked tall cut & partial frosted crystal champagne glass & then a vase with a sticker that says Bjorkshult Sweeden, about a $10 piece.

Alaska Highway Patrol Mug 1941-1952 (so I presume it's from 52 or 53? It's very thick ceramic with thick enamel like glaze, even looks like enamel ware. Can't find another like it anywhere. Look how thick the sides are (over 3/16"s)! Its very heavy for a mug.

Set of vintage RADA aluminum handle stainless kitchen knives $25-$35 & 4 old bakelite caster wheels in great shape $10-$20.

Fisher Price castle 1974 in great condition except it needs a good cleaning worth $30-$35 or so

vintage early 80's Hamilton Beach Blender, newer Hamilton Beach Juicer & a Black & Decker handy chopper

Dayton in wall or on wall or on ceiling 208/220V heater with original instructions, thermostat & pieces. $100

Music note treble clef handle mug (worth $10-$15) & a Thomas Kinkade moonlight cottage mug prolly worthless.

Few boxes of vintage Shinny bright, made in USA, & other nice vintage Christmas ornaments. $30-$40 maybe even $50 on the right day.

Nice Asian looking lamp that I rescued from the trash that same day there. The body part lights up too! Nothing wrong with it at all! I'm glad I saved it! Also got a Nikon CoolPix 3100 3.2MP digital camera out of the trash & it works perfectly too but forgot to take a pic of it.

I also got a real Coach Signature Jacquard Crossbody Swing Pack Bag in khaki & grey. It needs cleaned up but otherwise it's in great shape. Cleaned up it should bring $50ish
DSC02615.JPG DSC02655.JPG DSC02654.JPG DSC02617.JPG DSC02619.JPG DSC02622.JPG DSC02623.JPG DSC02625.JPG DSC02628.JPG DSC02631.JPG DSC02633.JPG DSC02635.JPG DSC02636.JPG DSC02638.JPG DSC02641.JPG DSC02642.JPG DSC02646.JPG DSC02659.JPG DSC02644.JPG DSC02660.JPG

Last edited:

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I believe your "wooden scoop" is actually a bowl for crackers or candy. I believe it is supposed to be a whale. We have a similar one here my daughter has for her gold fish to snack on. I have to disagree with you on the mug, looks much later than your guess on age, but that is just my opinion. Good luck with your finds.

T.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your "wooden scoop" is actually a bowl for crackers or candy. I believe it is supposed to be a whale. We have a similar one here my daughter has for her gold fish to snack on. I have to disagree with you on the mug, looks much later than your guess on age, but that is just my opinion. Good luck with your finds.

T.

Is the wood bowl piece your daughter has signed as well? 2 Fingers (pointer & middle) fit perfectly between the bowl & handle of this one & it seems like it's a scoop by they way it's the most comfortable to hold it. I have no idea tho but if your not holding it or ya sit it down on a flat surface it it will roll over & spill any contents.

My thoughts on the mug are #1 it is dated as 1941-1952, whats so significant about the 11th year of the Alaska Highway Patrol? Why would there be a newer modern mug to commemorate their 11th year? I have to say (or think) its because it was made about that year otherwise it makes no since & I can't find another like it which I would think would be easy if this was modern? I could be 100% wrong & I thought at first it was newer but then not being able to find a single one for sale anywhere made me 2nd think it. Plus it being an 11th year thing just is kinda strange year to make such a mug 10 years would make since & so would 20 or 25 & 50 years but 11 years? I dunno seems strange to me.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Our bowl sits flat, so I must be wrong. But topside, looks like the spitting image of it. I am thinking the reason the mug is dated 41-52 has to do with Alaskan statehood, after that they would have been the State Police. I was thinking the mug was part of a set, might have been mounties up til a certain date, then something else, Territory Patrol?? then the Highway Patrol, then State Police, but that is just a guess. It looks much more modern to me than the fifties, but I am by no means an expert. I was just trying to help.

T.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our bowl sits flat, so I must be wrong. But topside, looks like the spitting image of it. I am thinking the reason the mug is dated 41-52 has to do with Alaskan statehood, after that they would have been the State Police. I was thinking the mug was part of a set, might have been mounties up til a certain date, then something else, Territory Patrol?? then the Highway Patrol, then State Police, but that is just a guess. It looks much more modern to me than the fifties, but I am by no means an expert. I was just trying to help.

T.

I appreciate your help! I really do & I love your input! By no means am I saying you are wrong, actually you're probably right! It's just strange with what I know.

from 1941 till 1945 it was The territory of Alaska Highway Patrol but they didn't have police authority. In 1945 the members of the Alaska highway patrol were deputized as special deputy US Marshals. Then in 1948 The highway patrol was given the full authorities of peace officers too.

I couldn't make since of what relevance 1952 had to do with anything? Alaska wasn't a state till 1959, the Highway Patrol gained full police authority & powers in 1948. I'm just way lost as to why the mug is 1941-1952 nothing happened in 52 & nothing had changed in the 4 years prior to 52 & I don't believe anything changed till 59 when it became a state & it then became the Alaska State Police.

Why in the world is it 41-52? there's a reason? And I wanna know why? Can't find any other Alaska Highway Patrol mugs on eBay from any year or time & actually not that much of anything related to the Alaska Highway patrol is on eBay. Some but not a lot. Only sense I make is that it's dated 41-52 is because it's from 52, I just can't find another logical reason for this strange 52 date?

BTW I agree it doesn't really look to be from the 50's but as to dating by it's looks I swing & miss alot here. I have that Bird Pottery plate & I would swear it's from the 60's at the earliest & its actually from between 1935-37.. I'm still dumbfounded by that one! Others who see it say the same thing only they guess it's from the mid 70's.

Any other thoughts Clad? I really do appreciate your input!

Last edited:

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I got this from Wikipedia, kind of what I was thinking that made me think of it as part of a "history of" set:

The Troopers trace their heritage back more than a century, but there was no Alaska-wide police force until 1941, when the Territorial Legislature created the Alaska Highway Patrol. Territorial patrolmen only patrolled the main highways of Alaska and did not visit remote areas or regions. They were commissioned to only enforce traffic laws and were not police officers per se. They were eventually deputized as special deputy U.S. Marshals to fill this void in jurisdiction. The legislature refused to make them police officers until the agency was changed to Territorial Police and additional personnel were hired from the ranks of the U.S. Marshals. The new agency became the Alaska Territorial Police in 1953 after a number of titles. Other titles were the Alaska State Police after statehood in 1959, and ultimately the Alaska State Troopers in 1967. In a unique pilot program, AK Troopers even drove ambulances as patrol vehicles in the 1960s, serving as both ambulance and law enforcement service to remote areas

If I am right there would be a 4 mug set, yours, the Territorial Police from 53-59, Alaska State Police from '59 to 67 and then Troopers from 67-present. I even got the Territorial part right before without checking first. LOL Lucky guess.

T.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From 1941-1952 the agency was called "Alaska Highway Patrol" In 1953 the name was changed to "Alaska Territorial Police", "Alaska State Police" in 1959 and finally in 1967 it was changed to "Alaska State Troopers". Hence the 1941-1952 date. The mug is actually my favorite.

Edit- I see CladSpends2 beat me to it, lol. I don't know about the 4 mug set part though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this from Wikipedia, kind of what I was thinking that made me think of it as part of a "history of" set:

The Troopers trace their heritage back more than a century, but there was no Alaska-wide police force until 1941, when the Territorial Legislature created the Alaska Highway Patrol. Territorial patrolmen only patrolled the main highways of Alaska and did not visit remote areas or regions. They were commissioned to only enforce traffic laws and were not police officers per se. They were eventually deputized as special deputy U.S. Marshals to fill this void in jurisdiction. The legislature refused to make them police officers until the agency was changed to Territorial Police and additional personnel were hired from the ranks of the U.S. Marshals. The new agency became the Alaska Territorial Police in 1953 after a number of titles. Other titles were the Alaska State Police after statehood in 1959, and ultimately the Alaska State Troopers in 1967. In a unique pilot program, AK Troopers even drove ambulances as patrol vehicles in the 1960s, serving as both ambulance and law enforcement service to remote areas

If I am right there would be a 4 mug set, yours, the Territorial Police from 53-59, Alaska State Police from '59 to 67 and then Troopers from 67-present. I even got the Territorial part right before without checking first. LOL Lucky guess.

T.

Ah I C Now! Good job! Strange the mug tells a little story but says nothing regarding why 52 is the date.. You have shown It did change in 53 so right there was the exact reason I was looking for! Thank you very much! Now I wonder who made it & what date it really is? It's a quite hefty mug to say the least.

Last edited:
OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From 1941-1952 the agency was called "Alaska Highway Patrol" In 1953 the name was changed to "Alaska Territorial Police", "Alaska State Police" in 1959 and finally in 1967 it was changed to "Alaska State Troopers". Hence the 1941-1952 date. The mug is actually my favorite.

Edit- I see CladSpends2 beat me to it, lol. I don't know about the 4 mug set part though.

Thanks Dig! lol ya clad was johnny on the spot...lol You did great too tho!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
How have you done with the Christmas bulbs?

We spent the past year buying them up, including one big score at an estate, and those things are dead on ebay compared to last year. We waited until December 1st to list them. Was that too late? It appears so if you look at completed sales.

What is up with the caster wheels? Are they worth anything?

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How have you done with the Christmas bulbs?

We spent the past year buying them up, including one big score at an estate, and those things are dead on ebay compared to last year. We waited until December 1st to list them. Was that too late? It appears so if you look at completed sales.

What is up with the caster wheels? Are they worth anything?

I get more Christmas bulbs for free than I know what to do with, they end up at the dumpster where I go & if the hard core scrappers aren't there I grab them up if for nothing else than to scrap em just like they do but never the old bigger vintage ones I would never scrap them! I avoided buying any pallets that had Christmas stuff for the most part. But ya always get some no matter what & I'm trying to sell some of it right now & I'm getting bids & good bids on these items but I have no lights for sale. just Shinny Bright, Made in japan, Made in USA & a single German vintage mercury glass ornaments & some "Believe" with holly & a jingle bell on em Christmas plates that do well this time of year.

The casters are very nice quality & have a hallmark in the steel, the wheels themselves are made of bakelite which some people really like & many collect bakelite items (not usually wheels but you never know). Nice porcelain & bakelite caster or castor wheels sell if they are in good shape with no damage & are in a matching set of 4 or more. These are probably from the 40's & still look & work great! Very strong & durable! I can usually get about $20 to $25 for a set like those maybe a little more if I can identify the mark.. its an M in a wing or swoosh type thing, with a number 7 under it, kinda hard to explain. The cast iron ones usually do even better than the steel ones but not always.

Last edited:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks, IG.

The market for Shiny Brites was absolutely crazy last year, with pink bulbs commanding u-n-b-e-l-i-e-v-a-b-l-e prices.

We saved them all year long. We found about 10 boxes in late January, saving them for the hopes of big money this season, but the market has dropped exponentially.

Nonetheless, even if we only sell the 70's and 80's bulbs we have at an antique mall for $4 a box, we'll still make a tidy profit.

The casters looked new to me. I'm glad yours are old and worth a little. I thought for a minute that I was losing out on the new ones...I usually trash those or sell them for cheap.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a nice looking lot. I like the cricket cup you could always start a trophy case. And spin tales of your criket playing days.
I had a bit of nostalgia when I saw the fisher price castle.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Christmas stuff is fickle with what sells. I mostly see crafted stuff resell decent. The wooden scoop might be a spoon rest for the kitchen. Things have been slow here lately or way over priced for what it is. But you still found a few items to make a few bucks on.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a nice looking lot. I like the cricket cup you could always start a trophy case. And spin tales of your criket playing days.
I had a bit of nostalgia when I saw the fisher price castle.

Ya my good ole cricket playing days "trophy" when I worked for Ulster Bank in England. I still feel them bumps & bruises, lol!

Ya the Castle brought back memories for me too, I had that same castle as a very small child with all the original figures & pieces.

Christmas stuff is fickle with what sells. I mostly see crafted stuff resell decent. The wooden scoop might be a spoon rest for the kitchen. Things have been slow here lately or way over priced for what it is. But you still found a few items to make a few bucks on.

The scoop doesn't balance on its backside very well while sitting on a hard flat surface, "it tends to rolls to one side or the other", So I'm not sure.

What I pictured was just 10% of what we got that day "maybe a little less than 10% since I didn't list nor show quite everything I got in this pallet such as 4 newer small (7") purple Fiesta plates, & 6 thick cork backed place mat things from Pimpernel made in England "each of the 6 has different scenes of different types of ducks. All kinds of other odds & ends too but no super great treasures this or last week. So it's been slow here too in comparison to how it was a month ago!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread