All Treasure Hunting

whiskyninja

Dec 29, 2015
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pegleglooker I read an article today, discussing the ship and the ongoing search. That was you, correct?

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Everyone,
On Wednesday 10/18 at 9PM pacific time, I will be a guest on the Midnight in the Desert (old Art Bell show), talking about the Lost Ship at length. This is a 5hr program, so I am going to be talking about what I found over the years in depth. This will include Juan de Iturbe, Nels Jacobson, the Vikings and the Lost Content- Cavendish's ship. They said that I will begin at about 9:26PM. About 12:30 there will be a q&a until the show finishes and I know it's REALLY late, but I just couldn't pass up a chance to be on Art Bell's old show. Here is a link to their website for more info..

Midnight in the Desert - Live Late Night Talk Radio

mitd-heather_9to1.jpg

Hope to see ya there!!!

Adios
PLL

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pegleglooker I read an article today, discussing the ship and the ongoing search. That was you, correct?

If it was Newsweek from Feb of this year, yep that would be me!! I also mentioned Tnet in the article... If not, could you please let me know what article it's from?? Makes me curious...

Thx
PLL

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stayed up, listened and enjoyed ! It has been a while since I've been awake past 10pm. This one is local to me so I like reading (or listening) about the Pearl Ship.
Liked It !!

anzayounggun

Mar 16, 2015
state of jefferson
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter (For Now)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stayed up, listened and enjoyed ! It has been a while since I've been awake past 10pm. This one is local to me so I like reading (or listening) about the Pearl Ship.
Liked It !!
Man am I jealous I missed this I just got off a assignment. Where can I find it?
Thanks

whiskyninja

Dec 29, 2015
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was you. Didn't want to give away your identity. That's all. So, if I may ask. You believe, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that Elmer Carver is telling the truth?

anzayounggun

Mar 16, 2015
state of jefferson
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter (For Now)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Negitron I haven't been able to found some other good podcasts though. PLL can you send a link or direct us to one

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gang,
Just ordered an interesting book about pearling and the Cardonas entitled "American Baroque, Pearls and the Nature of Empire, 1492-1700" by Prof. Molly A. Warsh. Warsh is a history professor at University of Pittsburgh and according to her research, the expedition may have had an early example of a diving suit. There is even a picture of it in her book. I know this sounds strange, but to me, Cardonas expedition always seemed more military than civilian and this might explain why. I also wondered why you would give up 3 ships in the Caribbean and then travel overland, to simply build 3 more ships?!?!? But it might be easier to hide a suit in your caravan and you don't risk it being captured or lost while sailing... Gotta run, but I'll be posting more on this when I can...

Adios
PLL

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Hi gang,
Just ordered an interesting book about pearling and the Cardonas entitled "American Baroque, Pearls and the Nature of Empire, 1492-1700" by Prof. Molly A. Warsh. Warsh is a history professor at University of Pittsburgh and according to her research, the expedition may have had an early example of a diving suit. There is even a picture of it in her book. I know this sounds strange, but to me, Cardonas expedition always seemed more military than civilian and this might explain why. I also wondered why you would give up 3 ships in the Caribbean and then travel overland, to simply build 3 more ships?!?!? But it might be easier to hide a suit in your caravan and you don't risk it being captured or lost while sailing... Gotta run, but I'll be posting more on this when I can...

Adios
PLL

Well the obvious reason was that with no Panama canal, it could take months to sail around South America to get there. It would be faster to just build new ships on the spot.

Please do continue;
:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True Oro, but "if" they really did use an early diving suit, they may have also had security concerns too... They could hide it easier in their overland supplies. Funny thing though, the earliest info I have found on diving suits is from around 1677-78, this would be 50-60 years earlier... I should have something by Friday for everyone...

Adios
PLL

Last edited:

sevenduce

Greenie
May 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=19&Z=11&X=5&Y=35&W=1

The above link is to Terraserver's image of the Salton Sea, California, and this concerns the story of the Pearl Ship, which was supposedly a galleon that got trapped in a rare flooding of the area from the Gulf of California about 1615. Some stories state it went aground about 30 west of Dos Palmas; that it involved a "Captain Iturbe"; it had onboard a king's ransom in pearls.

So, short of going into the Spanish Archives, here's the other option. Look at these satellite photos of the northern Salton Sea area for the ship. If it exists, it should show up somewhere along the edge of the mountains where maximum flooding took place.
I think if you did run aground you would send shipmates over board to dig it out to try to get unstuck and if the water was recessing and you kept sending people over bored to dig it out and if you couldn't get it unstuck in time the ship would be stuck so if you can imagine this ship being gone . The imprint where the ship ran aground would look just like the bottom of hull ..this pic is close to Salton Sea it would be in route to or from Salton Sea

Attachments

• Snip-it_1543146641349.jpg
    Snip-it_1543146641349.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 447

woodsyco

Mar 26, 2017
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, great info on this thread. Can anyone help me locate the Iturbe account - or a copy? I would like to find the original Spanish version! Thanks in advance.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sevenduce,
Here's a link to the Iturbe story and as far as I know, there is no actual original Spanish account. The first mention of Iturbe was in the book Journey of the Flame by Walter Nordhoff (1933). His name first appears in the Cardona archives, when he joins the expedition in Mexico City. I have always though that was an odd place to pick up a sea captain.. For more info on a ton of stories try Lostshipofthedesert.com Hope this helps... PLL

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Whiskeyninja,
I've been in a holding pattern for some time now, Jacobson's ranch is owned by a corporation, so getting permission to dig is pretty dead, but we keep trying. The Laguna Salada angle is tough as well, due to the softness of the ground and the cooperation of the local people... But once I know something, I'll definitely post it.. PLL

whiskyninja

Dec 29, 2015
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been reading old books about the Spanish exploration of the west coast. There was a lot of activity in the gulf of California. Lots of unpredictable tidal bores and storms. There were many failed attempts to explore the Colorado, and several lost ships. The problem seems to be that many captains kept their findings secret, so as not to attract other explorers who may claim the land for themselves. There's actually a lot of credibility to this old legend. That's why I can't seem to put it to rest. Keep up the good work, Pegleg!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread