What's new

The REAL Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Platinum Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 28, 2010
Messages
21,757
Reaction score
35,447
Golden Thread
1
Location
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last week my account was hacked by someone overseas. I found out when a member called me asking about the "Manticore you are selling." Since I have never owned a Manticore, I was very concerned. After several conversations with forum moderator Martin, I finally was able to regain access to my account.
While I'm angry, I'm also very upset and sick to my stomach because this a-hole stole money from members using my name. I'm not sure what I can do, but I have reported this to PayPal, and my local Cyber Crimes police division.
 
Well Terry welcome to the club ! Our old computers have been trough the mill also! We lost a ton of info / address' and personal connections to some friends of ours that we could never regain their phone #s ! Yep I agree with your anger BUT at least you got it back together ! I saw what happened and it surprised me and from reading your posts over the years knew what had happened ! They got 2 of my cell phones also ! Now I never answer my phone unless it has a name attached to it and I know them OR I just don't answer it ! BUT now I miss a lot of calls because most people just don't want their name to appear ! I tell my friends and company's that I have to deal with this so they know why I'm NOT answering my phone ! Good luck !
 
Well Terry welcome to the club ! Our old computers have been trough the mill also! We lost a ton of info / address' and personal connections to some friends of ours that we could never regain their phone #s ! Yep I agree with your anger BUT at least you got it back together ! I saw what happened and it surprised me and from reading your posts over the years knew what had happened ! They got 2 of my cell phones also ! Now I never answer my phone unless it has a name attached to it and I know them OR I just don't answer it ! BUT now I miss a lot of calls because most people just don't want their name to appear ! I tell my friends and company's that I have to deal with this so they know why I'm NOT answering my phone ! Good luck !
Last night after replying to Terry's unfortunate Delima , I got another jab with some pornographic garbage while replying to one of my Doctor's survey's !! so now I absolutely won't answer my cell phone unless it has who is calling until I get my phone wiped ! When will it stop ?????
 
Terry I remember seeing your add for a Manticore. Did you find out how you got hacked ?
 
Terry I remember seeing your add for a Manticore. Did you find out how you got hacked ?
You will never know. It doesn’t take much. 1st and last name and a phone number appearing in caller ID is enough for some companies. Then it’s about deception and gleaning bits of info from various companies that were compromised from global companies that offered $10 as compensation for major security breaches. There are nefarious companies that will nurse off of databases available off the dark web.
 
The penalties for hacking and fraud should be so severe that only those with an insane wish to destroy their lives would attempt it. Thailand has delivered a good example of effective laws that curb illicit drug distribution. A similar approach could be used for hacking and fraud.
 
The penalties for hacking and fraud should be so severe that only those with an insane wish to destroy their lives would attempt it. Thailand has delivered a good example of effective laws that curb illicit drug distribution. A similar approach could be used for hacking and fraud.
If you follow the news any more they do NOT PUNISH the guilty
 
Last edited:
If you follow the news any more they do NOT PIUNISH the guilty
No here locally a man pleaded guilty to a cold case murder of a local woman. He got 6 years with time served 2.5 years. County jail counts towards x2 served?! We really need to let folks know they are NOT doing what we pay them to do.
 
Last week my account was hacked by someone overseas. I found out when a member called me asking about the "Manticore you are selling." Since I have never owned a Manticore, I was very concerned. After several conversations with forum moderator Martin, I finally was able to regain access to my account.
While I'm angry, I'm also very upset and sick to my stomach because this a-hole stole money from members using my name. I'm not sure what I can do, but I have reported this to PayPal, and my local Cyber Crimes police division.
Thanks for doing a post up on this Terry.
For a moment I was thinking you had really got bent. Banned off another forum, then I saw the line through your name here.
Good to see you're normal again.😁
 
Being hacked is never fun, cost a person financially, credibility, and time.

The more we're exposed the greater the chances of something happening.

I had it done 12 years ago. Took information gleamed off another detecting forum. Built a profile, then tried to take funds from our bank accounts.
We had a personal relationship with the bank and they knew me too well.

I had the administration scrub my total online activity on that forum. Lost 13K+ messages and photos.
Locked down every bankiing account, switched emails and had to transfer 15K+ personal and business emails. 1 page at a time!
It all started with a hack in the Bell Sympatico email servers. They didn't notify anyone of this breach.
Then the forum information was used to create a fake profile.
 
A big problem are businesses that are trying to profit from giving out your personal information. Try a Google search of your name with your town and state as well. You'd be amazed how much info on you is out there and how many scumball businesses want to sell even more of your personal information for a price. Fortunately, most of the info I see on me is false or out of date. They have my address listed as a PO box I got rid of 10 years ago, they have my birthdate wrong and they list a phone number I had at least 30 years ago! They do have a long list of my realtives posted correctly, which is annoying.

Another problem are the voter registration roles. They are required to be public information, so anyone can get my party affiliation, age and home address. Not that big of a deal, but that gives scammers a good head start if they want try to take out a loan in my name or apply for a credit card. Doubt if they could pull it off with my lousy credit, but you never know...
 
I want to thank each one of you for the kind words! No real clue how the account was hacked, just freaking thrilled we got it fixed! Even broke down and got a new computer!
 
I want to thank each one of you for the kind words! No real clue how the account was hacked, just freaking thrilled we got it fixed! Even broke down and got a new computer!
Terry I researched what company was leading in cyber security.
The best money I spend every year. One can protect all their devices under one plan.

Bitdefender - Global Leader in Cybersecurity Software https://share.google/UbJMyUnod6Xhq09uD
 
Best thing you can do is lock your credit. You will have to unlock it to apply for credit, but that’s really how it ought to be. Wouldn’t help with these types of scams, but a good idea for those that know they have been hacked.

Be sure to keep your phone system up to date. I know many people that do not install any updates. That’s not a good idea. Same goes for PC updates.
 
JMHO, but I believe having all that personal info inside your cell phone is just nuts.
I have a later generation Iphone, but it is used strictly for phone calls, text and photo's.
IMO, putting your credit card info, bank account info and other personal information
in a cell phone is like putting your precious gold ore in a bucket full of holes. I don't go
on the web on my phone, nor do email. The only password on the phone is my Iphone
password, and I don't think they can buy much with that.

I keep a separate bank account that is used for all online purchases, and only transfer
the needed amount into it. If it gets hacked, the best they'll get is about five bucks.

I have a desktop computer I use for all the rest. I've been running Bitdefender for several
years; it's considered as the best out there, and it's always done it's job. If it says "Don't
do this", then I listen to it.

Not that it won't ever happen, but so far I've never had a credit card or any other account hacked.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom