What's new

The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st !!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead**UPDATES**

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,540
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st !!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead**UPDATES**

I had a golden opportunity present itself to me this week, which I was finally able to take advantage of after work today.
Right outside the entrance where I work, they are cutting out a section of woods to build a new road & bridge to replace the existing section. This is part of the wooded area between two of my normal MDing spots where I find CW relics.
After securing permission, I patiently waited until 5:00pm when all work stopped. A few of the guys were still there when I began MDing.
I wasn't detecting more that two minutes and dug my first CW bullet while one of the guys watched. He couldn't believe his eyes. :o
He asked to see it to go show his buddy. By the time they both returned I had dug my second one. :thumbsup: By this time, one of the guys says "I got to get me one of those detectors". ;D After about 5 minutes of BS, they took off and I was by myself.
Within 90 minutes I had all the finds you see, including my first knapsack hook!!! That find really made my day. I found two bullets and the knapsack hook within a 3 ft radius. As I was about to call it quits and head back to my truck, I looks down and by one of the dozers I spotted this arrowhead!!! Another first for me. :thumbsup:
As you can imagine, I had a great day. They are not even half done yet with the clearing they need to do, so you can bet I'll be out there as much as possible.
Here's my finds:

*Asst'd CW bullets - I would greatly appreciate any ID's you bullet guru's can help me with.

*Knapsack hook. :thumbsup:

*Arrowhead - Any info on this arrowhead?
*Atlas lock (RFD on the other side)

*Two odd looking lead pieces. Bullets???

*Pottery shard.

Thanks for looking Folks,
MM
 

Attachments

  • MVC-091S.webp
    MVC-091S.webp
    50.7 KB · Views: 830
  • MVC-106S.webp
    MVC-106S.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 806
  • MVC-104S.webp
    MVC-104S.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 800
  • MVC-103S.webp
    MVC-103S.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 796
  • MVC-102S.webp
    MVC-102S.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 795
  • MVC-100S.webp
    MVC-100S.webp
    32 KB · Views: 794
  • MVC-099S.webp
    MVC-099S.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 804
  • MVC-097S.webp
    MVC-097S.webp
    23.8 KB · Views: 813
  • MVC-096S.webp
    MVC-096S.webp
    29.9 KB · Views: 802
  • MVC-095S.webp
    MVC-095S.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 807
  • MVC-094S.webp
    MVC-094S.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 799
  • MVC-092S.webp
    MVC-092S.webp
    43.3 KB · Views: 799
Upvote 8
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

Great hunt!!!
Your finds are enough to bring anybody into the hobby!!!
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

Nice digs!! Bullets are, last pic left to right..

Williams Cleaner Type II (I think,maybe III) (2) Enfield Bowwoods plugs in base!!, .577 or .58 Three Ringer and the last one looks like a Carbine Rifle bullet.. I'll have to look that up .. but I "think" it was one of the Colts with the cylinder... I have a few I have found and had to look them up.. it was some odd rifle..

This is off the top of my head... I''ll verify for you in the books...

MonkeyBoy
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

Doug Dude, it is good to see you still hunting with the passion and finding Civil War relics with the passion...True Doug Dude fashion, BABY. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You are a great hunter, who takes advantages of limited hunting opportunities and does so in an attempt to save some history...True Doug Dude fashion, BABY. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I hope you continue to excavate handfuls and handfuls and handfuls of Civil War artifacts in the near future. :icon_sunny: :thumbsup:

Now, get out there and find us another knapsack J-hook!

Kyle
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

Stay after that site. It is a whole lot better that you should get the artifacts than to have them paved over. By the way, as your rosewood plug dries out it will draw up and probably fall out. Mine did, but try and save the plug.
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

Nice Finds! Hammer that site as hard as you can. You are definately on some confederate land and also looks like some yankee too. Maybe a nice confederate button is hidding in there. As for the enfields, after the boxwood plug dries out it very well may fall out. That would be a good thing because the enfields many times have a number or letter in the base and some are very rare. The ones I have dug with the wood still intact I have carefully removed it and sometimes it has paid off as the bullet ended up being worth much more since it had a number or letter. If not the plug can always be reinserted. The one 3 ringer with shallow rings and flat top is what we call around here Harpers Ferry 3 ringers. They are not very common. You also have some camp lead which may mean that the troops were there for awhile. The Williams cleaner is nice.

Marc
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

Wow, Doug!!!

Way to seize that great opportunity!! :thumbsup:
You made some fantastic CW finds!! Did you know you had found a knapsack hook when you dug it? I'm almost certain there's a button/plate/old coin/more bullets hiding there!

Your eyes seem to be a pretty good backup detector!! ;D Congrats on the Arrowhead!

You did very well!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

Fantastic arrowhead :o

Beautiful relic..... Hope you find more.
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

you should post that arrowhead in " american indian artifacts" someone there will be able to i'd it for you...
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

MonkeyBoy said:
Nice digs!! Bullets are, last pic left to right..
Williams Cleaner Type II (I think,maybe III) (2) Enfield Bowwoods plugs in base!!, [/b] .577 or .58 Three Ringer and the last one looks like a Carbine Rifle bullet.. I'll have to look that up .. but I "think" it was one of the Colts with the cylinder... I have a few I have found and had to look them up.. it was some odd rifle..
This is off the top of my head... I''ll verify for you in the books...
MonkeyBoy


civilman1 said:
Lee43 said:
Congrats on your finds, The bullet you asked about is and Enfield with the box wood plug still in it, don't try to take it out as I did on my first one 35 years ago................Lee
Hit the nail on the head Doug.....out of all the Enfield's I've ever found not one has had the plug in it,Great Job!!! Love the J hook and arrowhead too.....Hope you can still hit the side's of the road after they get it laid down,look's like a sweet spot.Congrat's :thumbsup:

Marc in VA said:
Nice Finds! Hammer that site as hard as you can. You are definately on some confederate land and also looks like some yankee too. Maybe a nice confederate button is hidding in there. As for the enfields, after the boxwood plug dries out it very well may fall out. That would be a good thing because the enfields many times have a number or letter in the base and some are very rare. The ones I have dug with the wood still intact I have carefully removed it and sometimes it has paid off as the bullet ended up being worth much more since it had a number or letter. If not the plug can always be reinserted. The one 3 ringer with shallow rings and flat top is what we call around here Harpers Ferry 3 ringers. They are not very common. You also have some camp lead which may mean that the troops were there for awhile. The Williams cleaner is nice.
Marc

Guys,
Thanks so much for the bullet ID's and info. The wood plugs in the two Enfields were dry enough that I was able to tap the bullet lightly and they popped out. One had nothing inside, but the other had a "57" in it. Ya-hoooo. This is only the second Enfield that I've ever found with a # in it. The other one (found about 1/8th mile away last year) also had a #57. These are the first two I've ever found with the wooden plugs inside. :thumbsup:

You guys are the BEST!!!
Thanks,
Doug
 

Attachments

  • MVC-112S.webp
    MVC-112S.webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 419
  • MVC-113S.webp
    MVC-113S.webp
    27.4 KB · Views: 427
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

mistergee said:
im no expert but that arrowhead looks older than indian....

I hope so Mistergee. That would be fantastic!!! :thumbsup:
Thanks,
MM

Captn_SE said:
Wow, Doug!!!
Way to seize that great opportunity!! :thumbsup:
You made some fantastic CW finds!! Did you know you had found a knapsack hook when you dug it? I'm almost certain there's a button/plate/old coin/more bullets hiding there!
Your eyes seem to be a pretty good backup detector!! ;D Congrats on the Arrowhead!
You did very well!!
HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks Big Dan.
On the knapsack hook, my detector gave of a signal (tone) like a pull tab. When I dug that sucker out I had a smile from ear to ear. That is the kind of find I should of had on video! ;D :wink:
I had remembered seeing these hooks from others posts and on some internet sites, but I was thinking it was a sword hook.
When I got home I check my Civil War artifacts book and BINGO, a knapsack hook. :thumbsup:
I'm determined to find an old coin or two out there now. :wink:
Good luck this w/end.
-Doug-


THANKS EVERYONE!!!
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

Nice finds as usual Miner! That cleaner is definitely a Williams III (3)!! Those Enfields rock!! Congrats on the knapsack hook! I dug my first the other day and dam if it did not almost sound like a shotgun shell. Keep diggin'. You da' man!

Sneaky6
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

sneaky6 said:
Nice finds as usual Miner! That cleaner is definitely a Williams III (3)!! Those Enfields rock!! Congrats on the knapsack hook! I dug my first the other day and dam if it did not almost sound like a shotgun shell. Keep diggin'. You da' man!
Sneaky6

Congrats on your first too Sneaky. :thumbsup:
I almost gave up on digging it because it was such an iffy signal (like a shotgun shell). I'm glad I kept at it. :wink:
-MM-
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

Nice timing and arrowhead.

Hope you find lots of info on the arrow head.
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

B|lker said:
Nice timing and arrowhead.

Hope you find lots of info on the arrow head.

Thanks Bill.
I'll trade you for doing the rotted wood repair. :wink: :tongue3:
-Doug-
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

Hey MM,

That is an Enfield with a ROSEWOOD Plug in it. Just like the one that I posted awhile back. It is a very nice find to find one that still has the Rosewood Plug in it...Very Rare.....You and I both have one know. Nice little cleanup on the lead too :thumbsup: :wink:
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

{Sentinel} said:
Hey MM,

That is an Enfield with a ROSEWOOD Plug in it. Just like the one that I posted awhile back. It is a very nice find to find one that still has the Rosewood Plug in it...Very Rare.....You and I both have one know. Nice little cleanup on the lead too :thumbsup: :wink:

Thanks Josh. Where the heck you been? I'm looking forward to you next post & movie vid. :thumbsup:
-Doug-
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

Looks like you've hit a good spot there. Congratulations !!!

JRich
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st for me too!!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead

********ARROWHEAD INFO********
"Looks like you've found yourself a 'Holmes'. Late Archaic-2,000BC-1,000BC. Also looks like Rhyolite (lower grade).
Welcome to our group, I'm in NC too about 80 miles away..Good Luck for your next hunt...Well done.
Molly.."
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st !!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead**UPDATES**

I figured 50/50 on the base "57" Doug.....Best of Luck this weekend!!!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: The Road to Recoveries - TWO 1st !!! Knapsack hook & Arrowhead**UPDATES**

Very nice!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom