Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to visit some family, a couple of hours from home. Last time I was there, I noticed that their yard looked like it needed a little detecting. I believe the house was built around 1960, so I did not have high hopes of finding anything good, but you never know.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear high tones in the yard. When a few wheaties showed up, I began to think that maybe a silver Rosie just might show up.

After a great of many holes, I finally saw what I had been looking for, a reeded silver edge sticking out of the dirt, and it was bigger than a dime!

7744326A-3FF5-434A-87AD-3E1DED8AE1F8.jpeg45A36D11-49A1-4B9B-931A-7448DF7D9889.jpeg

I was so happy and excited, silver quarter! But that was very short lived, as I quickly figured out those sneaky Canadians had tricked me with one of their 1985 caribou quarters. Bazinga.

EBEF4EBD-481A-4900-814A-5F802FEBD74E.jpeg

There were plenty of signals in the yard. I got 2 junk rings. I liked this one, which came from Endless Caverns in New Market, Virginia. I can just see the kid telling his parents that he won’t lose it.

A29648E2-9052-452C-932C-5FF1456496D4.jpeg5CC04DBA-734D-422E-BE5D-3696CB78E801.jpeg

This deep high tone wasn’t from Canada, thank goodness. It was really nice to see a tarnished Merc. There was silver here after all.

348140D8-AD66-42F4-9957-F54C26297C67.jpegE362D73A-AEB7-4B45-8241-EF5BA9A07E8C.jpeg

I kept getting wheaties and some more modern coins. Two silver Rosies showed up in between the other coins also. This was turning into a nice hunt.

Third time through the front yard, I get a shallow quarter signal, don’t know how I missed it, but it must be clad, flip the grass and see this.

DEA94EDD-0694-4F74-A946-784FB9EE8D65.jpeg1C4BABB3-E070-41E5-93CD-6B97D7886B9F.jpeg

I could tell that it was an SLQ, only the 5th I’ve found in 5 years of hunting. Yeah, it’s dateless and beat up.. like me, but that’s OK.

Here are a couple more pics of the goodies.

62BA0206-CB70-4CEB-AACE-FE55B6D891BF.jpeg58ECBD9F-8C87-45DB-83B7-17405835322D.jpeg

Thanks for looking and good luck on your hunts!

Last edited:
Upvote 55
Tom, talk about some great finds in a yard, Congrats! You never know what's hiding in the dirt!

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Congrats on those great finds- I love SLQs in any condition!

Congrats on your silver haul Tom, maybe you started a streak now.:headbang:

Good job tom, SLQ’s are such a sweet find! I’ve only found 2 in 10 years of digging.

Way to take advantage of the family get together! Those Canadians sound funny right?

That's what im talking about. Congratulations :icon_thumleft:

Way to take advantage of the family get together! Those Canadians sound funny right?

The Canadian quarter sounded good, and looked perfect... BUT, they aren’t silver, such a let down. The SLQ made it all better!

That was a very productive yard.....Congrats on the silver coins.

That's a great hunt and even though it has no date that SLQ is a great one to find!

Great work Tom. Not sure how the steel quarter gave off a good signal. Same thing happened to me this summer. I was working a school that had been hit hard but they had tore the whole field up and removed several inches of dirt. I got a quarter signal and found a clad quarter along with a penny and then I always stick the pinpointer down in the hole. It hits hard so I dig a little more and out pops a silver reeded edge quarter! I was stocked all the way home, then I cleaned it and, yep, steel Canadian quarter. What a let down. Had I just run it over the coil I would have known. Ended up with a few wheats and a little part of silver chain for the day.
I wonder what was there before the 1960 house?

Great work Tom. Not sure how the steel quarter gave off a good signal. Same thing happened to me this summer. I was working a school that had been hit hard but they had tore the whole field up and removed several inches of dirt. I got a quarter signal and found a clad quarter along with a penny and then I always stick the pinpointer down in the hole. It hits hard so I dig a little more and out pops a silver reeded edge quarter! I was stocked all the way home, then I cleaned it and, yep, steel Canadian quarter. What a let down. Had I just run it over the coil I would have known. Ended up with a few wheats and a little part of silver chain for the day.
I wonder what was there before the 1960 house?

I always thought they were 99.9% nickel, but I haven't found very many, so what do I know?

Those SLQ are elusive creatures. I've only dug a handful in all the years that I've been hunting and only one had a date. Nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back