the spider rock treasure mystery

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
This was my first introduction real treasure to treasure hunting.Nothing much is found online, just a few magazine articles and a book or two.
I orginally subcribed to metal detecting magazine, in those days we were call' treasure hunters'
ha in those days a treasure was a non clad coin or a wheatie! today they are more correctly called "coin shooters" I was a gold prospector, gold panner and a gold dredger..but I kept seeing what are now called 'monuments' in gold country..when the 3 part article came out on the spider rock mystery...I was compelled by the odd spider like designs on the the three rocks that were found in Texas..over a hundred years ago..

anyone know anything or have any info that might shed some light on the subject?
more later
oro bro
rangler

Last edited:

Hoofer

Jan 25, 2012
Detector(s) used
Between ears
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes indeed some of us know something about them. With the three magazines and the location (exact) of any rock
you can solve them. Ask SS. He knows lots of stuff and attributes the info. to the source. An expert like yourself
should not need help with these only semi-complex stones.

OP
OP
rangler

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
YOUR right hoofer
I have stood at the end point of the Aspermont rock...I actually found the key mark a one inch high sign in about 200 square miles of outback...its the other two rocks that still remain..unsolved The two authors who wrote the magazine articles are only giving out limited data in their books...and SS - ha I doubt that..although he can tell you best lazy boy to buy perhaps, nothing more..he has been reading clouds here on this site for many moons..kimo sabe
oro is not for fools
rangler

Justintime

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2011
Central, Alabama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,Pro pointer, TRX,Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Beachhunter ID, whites bullseye ll pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Just curious Rangler, have you ever found anything, gold, silver, a coin, I would love to see the goods, if there be any. Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. There's no need for rudeness, oro,LOL. Justintime

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOUR right hoofer
I have stood at the end point of the Aspermont rock...I actually found the key mark a one inch high sign in about 200 square miles of outback...its the other two rocks that still remain..unsolved The two authors who wrote the magazine articles are only giving out limited data in their books...and SS - ha I doubt that..although he can tell you best lazy boy to buy perhaps, nothing more..he has been reading clouds here on this site for many moons..kimo sabe
oro is not for fools
rangler

Is that why you still haven't FOUND any??

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
This was my first introduction real treasure to treasure hunting.Nothing much is found online, just a few magazine articles and a book or two.
I orginally subcribed to metal detecting magazine, in those days we were call' treasure hunters'
ha in those days a treasure was a non clad coin or a wheatie! today they are more correctly called "coin shooters" I was a gold prospector, gold panner and a gold dredger..but I kept seeing what are now called 'monuments' in gold country..when the 3 part article came out on the spider rock mystery...I was compelled by the odd spider like designs on the the three rocks that were found in Texas..over a hundred years ago..

Hello Rangler,

I recommend Steve Wilson's book: The Spider Rock Treasure: A Texas Mystery of Lost Spanish Gold . It is currently available from Amazon.Com , new for $30.

Oddrock

OP
OP
rangler

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
i of course bought that the week it came out..is was good at summarizing what was all ready published..I stood at Wilsons dig spot..he doesnt tell about the dig and I dont blame him..my advice for anyone who finds anything is to tell NO ONE only a fool would brag about a fact like that...personally I do believe he found something, I was just too late
after all you only publish an article about a spanish puzzle AFTER you have decoded it your self but - I can tell you that I saw the left overs of his dig in 1989!!
oro for sensible men
rangler

" a fool knows more than he is wise, a sensible man is wiser than he knows...lao tzu"

Hoofer

Jan 25, 2012
Detector(s) used
Between ears
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wilson may have dug something in 89, but as of 92 the location was undisturbed. If you found the end point of the
Aspermont stone then you found the site since the Aspermont and the Rotan stone both go to the exact same place.
The Clyde stone tells how to find the other stones and gives shortcut way to point also. These stones are not Spanish,
but were left by Snively.

OP
OP
rangler

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Hoofer,
I respect your opinion, but the site was indeed disturbed, maybe when you stood there - it was erased by erosion or whatever but the hole was down to bedrock. will not say how deep that is -Steves' business..but you must know..
Aspermont was a ", Alpha" map, Rotan is the equivalent of a "Local" map. And my interpretation of Clyde is,it is an "Omega" map..
There is no way Rotan and Aspermont could be used interchangeably~!
sorry old friend
rangler
ps I will meet you there if you want sometime.[that is of course if we both have the same place in mind...:)
marks
D4 CXF 29F ILP llx18

Last edited:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
... These stones are not Spanish, but were left by Snively.

Hoofer, as you probably know, Jacob Snively was one of the most intriguing personalities in the southwest during the last half of the 19th century. I wasn't aware of his association with Spider Rocks, but I'm not surprised, given his knack of being dead in the middle of gold events all over NM and AZ. No, he wasn't Spanish, but I'll bet he left a few 'Spanish trails' in his day. I've been trying to accumulate information about him for years, but there's not a lot available.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoofer, as you probably know, Jacob Snively was one of the most intriguing personalities in the southwest during the last half of the 19th century. I wasn't aware of his association with Spider Rocks, but I'm not surprised, given his knack of being dead in the middle of gold events all over NM and AZ. No, he wasn't Spanish, but I'll bet he left a few 'Spanish trails' in his day. I've been trying to accumulate information about him for years, but there's not a lot available.

Springfield:
Try some research on this website: The Online Books Page

This site is connected to the government's Gutenberg Project. They have a very interesting bunch of OLD, original writings that have been digitized and should be a good source for much research on the southwest. I came across the autobiography of the first Spanish Governor of the eastern section of New Spain with his office in Natchez (Mississippi Territory) His book is where I found the lead to a silver mine in Louisiana. LOL.......yes, I laughed, too, but there was a map and someone connected with that particular area of the state told me that he had seen the described rock formations and geology. There were many more things in that one book that were attention getting.

Anyway, try this library and see what you can find. I also found a bunch of books about the Jesuits in the west, the southwest, and the east. OLD books. But, you probably wouldn't be interested in any of THOSE things. :coffee2:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
... Anyway, try this library ... The Online Books Page ... and see what you can find. I also found a bunch of books about the Jesuits in the west, the southwest, and the east. OLD books. But, you probably wouldn't be interested in any of THOSE things. :coffee2:

Thanks for the link, Stack. Looks good. Actually, I just ran into some info about Kino being active in NM - improbable, but an interesting proposal. As far as all the carvings being 'Jesuit' - sorry, but I don't favor that flavor.

kool-ade.jpg

OP
OP
rangler

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
he Spider Rocks are filled with bible verse clues and who other than the likely suspects would or could have done them...no one else BUT the Jessies...the cryptic stance..the ILP order from the narrative .. you cant tell who the authors are until you decode it...and I have decoded the Aspermont and stood on its promontory..Rotan is decoded and placed at the correct cordinates..landowners are tough to deal with..as I done salvage contracts and looked up out of the hole to see the wrong end of a "null and void" waver looking at me with its single eye...so even if you got the spot marked...it is still up in the air for recovery...I only dig now at spots, I have a legal lease for "first right of refusal" to buy said land..
oro for the well informed and well intentioned..
rangler

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield:
The RE / RW claims to have decoded the Aspermont stone and "stood on it's promontory". I would be inclined to believe that he bought a copy of Lou Layton's book, and learned what the coded values were from that. Another case of using someone ELSE'S work as his own. :thumb_down:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you walk the trail just looking for signs to the next point, you are already lost. Its what you cant see that you need to be looking at. While I do believe Jesuits were here, not all marks or trails can be called Jesuit. There is several types of marks, and each mark tells you story. This is one treasure I have not heard of. SS has a eye, even better than my own. Rangler is amusing at best, havent been able to put anything he post to use. Hey SS, what is the best armchair, I cant imagine standing up and researching. You go man. Help me about this spider rock, I would like to hear more. I could read, but it has been brought up.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casca:
According to Mr. Layton, in his book,

"There are actually 3 major "Spider Rocks". All were found between 1902 and 1909 by a man named Dave Arnold and his Mexican partner. It is said they located the stones by following a map or waybill they had obtained earlier while they were in Mexico. They spent years trying to decipher the stones and enlisted the help of many others in their search, but were not successful.

Mr. Layton was told that even cryptanalysis from the FBI, CIA, and other government agencies couldn't decipher the stones.

One Spider Rock was found near Aspermont, Texas; another near Rotan, Texas, and one near Clyde, Texas. In addition to those 3 main stones (Waybills), there have been many other carvings and artifacts found in the general areas of the stones. In fact, when the Aspermont Rock was found it was buried in the ground and resting on top of the stone were 3 artifacts made of sheet copper."

I won't quote his book for the complete chapter covering this subject because it wouldn't be fair to Mr. Layton, to give up this information that is a unique part of his book. I will say that 3 more points are:
(1) The Aspermont stone gave up 2 main pieces of information and 8 minor pieces of info and in Spanish tradition, it repeats the main info over and over.

(2) Part of the info given, is the direction and distance to the Clyde Spider Rock.

(3) The Aspermont Rock does give the direction and distance to the goodie spot, but Mr. Layton said that he was not able to get the cooperation of the landowner, and wished his readers better luck than HE had. :icon_thumleft: He, also, is not able to go into the field anymore due to age and health.

I will also state here that none of the posters in this thread has mentioned Mr. Arnold and his partner. :icon_scratch:

OH, almost forgot.......Casca, I don't have a easy chair or recliner. The chair I constantly use is my desk chair that is actually one of those old, steel, commercial grade desk chairs commonly called a Secretary's Chair. This is one of the 2 different styles that the military used for DECADES. It has casters, swivels 360 degrees and even has a spring loaded back rest. This is the only chair that has stood up to constantly supporting my.........ahhhhh.............glutinous maxi mus. LMAO. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :coffee2: And, I had to weld the end of one caster arm back on after it cracked and broke off. LOL My little Lincoln Mig welder earned it's keep on that one project. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sss
if i have you would be the last person on earth who would find out~!:laughing7:

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into ,

" The Twilight Zone."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread