The Tellers are onto me!!

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I had dumped my dimes from my 3rd box of dimes and got some money and went to pick up another box of dimes at my normal credit union. this is the 2nd time that I had gotten a box from them in 2 months, nothing big. Well I went to ask the teller for another box, which would be my 4th ever. Well the teller looked at me and asked me if I planned on getting boxes on a regular basis because they only order so many boxes and if I tell them they can set some aside for me". hmmm, this smells like a plot to find out if I am a CRHer. I told her no, that I only get a box when my neice and nephew come over and I didn't want them to go through my stuff. Told the teller that they were 3 and 5, so anything shiny intruges them. (actually my neice is 13 and stepnephew is 9, and both love my coin collections. I made them their own collections for christmas 2 years ago and gave them 5 bucks to get some more coins at the LCS.)
If I went to town on a regular basis and could go to my pickup & dump sites I would order every week. That being said newbie question should I tell them that I will be getting a box every week even through I don't or just get my boxes and ignore the teller's questions.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Upvote 0

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
Just tell them the truth. Tell them you collect coins. I have always told my branches the truth and have only been cutoff by two out of around 40 pickup locations in different areas over the past 2 years. they probably just want to know so they can plan for it so they have enough coin on hand for other commercial customers.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blackout is right.......Tell the truth so they can plan on when to have a supply. It makes their job easier and you don't wanna tick them off.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, and the truth is a lot easier to remember, than a lie. So next time you come into the bank and the teller ask you "how are the little kiddies", and you say "what kiddies!" I think tellers probably know a lot more than they are given credit for.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Be honest, I have been with my tellers and so far have saved me.. oh what's the count...
204 silver quarters
2 silver rosies
10 silver 40%ers
and some Ikes :)
Happy Hunting!
Wicka

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow and I thought I was paranoid! they are just trying to make it easier for you, you should have said yes! Most of the time they are very accommodating, they could care less about ordering an extra box here and there

theproph

Oct 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell them the truth, say youre a collector looking for specific dates and mints. I told my CU that and they said "That sounds really cool we can def order you extra boxes each week and we will keep our CWR for you!" They also let me buy the bags from the coin sorter since I told them thats where a lot of good coins end up and I would love to sift through them before they send them off. I dont tell them Im specifically looking for silver, just that Im a collector.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often times on this forum people will talk about makeing-up a line or story if it helps there chanses of getting coin, maybe they do, maybe they don't and if they do, maybe it helps or maybe it doesn't, but in this case GarouLady, seems like the truth can only help, yes, I think they are just tring to help you out some.
Oh BTW, if they will order a box every week for you but you won't be able to pick them up every week (only when you happen to be in that area) make sure to tell them that! If they order for you and see the boxes start stacking up and don't know if you are going to ever pick them up or not, that's not good.
Good Luck

Last edited:

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with agme. If you order a box, walk through fire or swim a flood to get to the pick up time. Nothing hiss'es a teller off more than that box laying around having to be counted or inventoried daily. And, there is nothing wrong will telling the truth. Maybe the teller will give you a piece of silver. Or, most likely, the teller is a silver searcher themselves and will lie through their teeth to you.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Tell them the truth, if they cut you off because your a collector report them to the CFPB.

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Tell them the truth, if they cut you off because your a collector report them to the CFPB.

"The central mission of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) is to make markets for consumer financial products and services work for Americans —whether they are applying for a mortgage,choosing among credit cards,or using any number of other consumer financial products."

I'm certain there is a hotline number and a special task force assembled to deal with slighted, whiney coin roll hunters ...

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info. Yeah its probably more than a bit paranoid but I have images of once I tell them I coin collect, that they will start looking through rolls and boxes. I know they probably don't but that's just me.

But now I am totally bummed. Found out that I have to get a surgery done and soon. doctor found pre-cancerous cells in a tissue sample I bought him. so I have to be out of work for 2 months and find a way to pay for this surgery. Even with insurance my head is spinning. I told my doc that I can't afford it and he told me quote "max out your credit cards, get a loan, do anything but get teh surgery done." unquote. eesh, when your doc gets worried, then I am worried. I got a 10,000 credit card, line of credit loan through my credit union. Definitely don't plan on selling my silver. That's my retirement if I make it, and my legacy if I don't make it. Pessimistic (sp?) but true.

Hopefully silver stays at 30 bucks an ounce I plan on monday to go buy some buillion and some junk silver. Saved up another 100 dollars and I want some me time. My mom is getting a kick out of the bird feeders I put up by her window so we are going to get some more birdseed, her favorite pop, swing by the LCS, sell a 4 gram 10K gold necklace my mom got for 5 years of service at her workplace, and I plan on getting some silver.

anyways, thank you all for the information. Greatly appreciate it.

Hugs and Smiles,
garoulady

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait a minute! Your doctor tells you that you need vital surgery, you have no idea how you are going to pay for it, you have silver to sell, and you are going to go spend more money you don't have on silver? There is a disconnect there somewhere.

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you opt not to tell the truth, you might want to tighten up your story a bit...I'm thinking a three year old would be more interested in swallowing and choking on the dimes than playing with them. Would it even be safe to give a box to a child that young? I can't remember if I was smart enough not to eat shiny things at that age...I guess if there was a five year old around for supervision then nothing bad could happen.

Sorry to hear about possible pre-cancerous cells. Hope all turns out well.

sincerely,
cc

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I am getting an idea on how to pay for it. I just need to call and get an estimate at how much all together it will cost me. And if it as costly as I think, even selling my silver on hand wont be enough. Now my credit card does. One of my freinds at work, I love this woman because she doesn't sugarcoat stuff. her words "better in debt than dead". so monday I am calling the hospital to get a ballpark figure at how much most of these surgeries are. There's no disconnect. Its just the silver is my ace in the hole. It's my lossing the house, homelessness ace. I have several credit cards that I can max out for over 20,000 dollars, and my line of credit loan for another 5 thousand. My silver collection doesn't come close to that. Though God I wish I had that much silver. LMAO!!

I plan on having this surgery in january, though if my rotten work makes me use my vacation time, I might just get it done before christmas, so I can go right into Family medical leave. I also plan on getting AFLAC medical insurance. I hear they will pay your wages and gas money while you are laid up.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Maybe you could check out if there are any charities that might be able to help you. Ten years ago when my left lung collapsed, my wife applied for low income assistance right at the hospital in New Jersey and they paid the entire 6,000 dollar bill for us. My wife knew about it because she had applied six years earlier when my right lung collapsed but we got denied because they said we didn't have the paperwork in on time even though she had so we ended up paying that 6,000 off fifty a month. I know that they have gotten tighter lately but check out everywhere you can even if they can only help by letting you pay the bill off later. You should be willing to sell your silver if need be and anything else you can besides not spending money in the mean time to raise as much as you can. People will be more willing to help you if they see that you are doing all that you can for yourself and you can always find more silver and feed more birds as long as you are alive and well. I hope everything turns out OK for you, first I might get a second opinion and then I would get the surgery done as soon as possible. Besides why buy what you can find for free or just the gas cost?

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah I am still looking around. This isn't vital like lung or heart surgery, but for women its kinda important. All my aunts, grandma and mom all had this surgery done when they were 32-34 years old. I am the lone holdout because I hate doctors. But after talking to the doctor and somepeople I hate dying of cancer more.

Thanks for the help.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread