The Thayne Gold Strike

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Researching Thomas P. Terry's brief treasure lead no. 297 which is 37 words long. I found several old articles on it. Since I am now working on a Wyoming series of books, it is time to put in the work. article.jpg Blast Uncovers Nuggets.jpg Revealed By Blast.jpg Part 1.jpg Part 2.jpg East Side Ditch.jpg

Wyoming Prospector

Feb 14, 2013
Wyoming
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is very interesting. What year did this take place? I live in Afton so this must have took place not to far north of me. From reading all the articles you posted I'm guessing this took place on the Marion Heap Ranch and the discovery was made by Howland and Hawley? I'm surprised nothing more came of this. There is a Heap Ranch in the area still today but I'm not sure if that is the one where the strike took place or not. I am going to ask My grandfather if he has any info on this or the Marion Heap Ranch. I'll let you know what I find. Very cool thanks for sharing this info.

Wyoming Prospector

Feb 14, 2013
Wyoming
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thayne gold find.PNG

I have found the actual location of where this took place. From what I have been told by a lot of old timers is none of the people that made the discovery had ever seen raw gold before, and had no idea until later that what they had actually found was Pyrite. This does make the most sense to me sense no one ever actually mined the area. Still a very cool story and interesting piece of history.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Your photo and the map I posted match.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread