What's new

The Three Mes at the beach.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
14,653
Reaction score
9,097
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Three Me's at the beach.

I thought this might be an interesting conversation issue, "the right mindset". Seems mine takes on three different attitudes:

1) Leisure strolls - just swinging and walking without a care in the world.
2) Marathon Mode - Quickly moving from one spot to another hunting all the best locations I can find. (I also call this, Rabbit mode.)
3) Attack Mode - Very strategic, patient, and methodical pattern hunting, not a single inch of beach can be missed. Don't even talk to me!

Lately, I've been in attack mode, hunting less beach but hunting it very thoroughly. But this is also a very enduring mode for me, wares me down quicker and much harder to hang on to the right mindset for days on end. However, this seems to be the most productive mode of operation for me when the beach is flat and void of obvious features like cuts, holes, etc.

Marathon Mode is my favorite and most productive tactic but only when there's enough features to chase one after the other. I still try to hunt each location thoroughly but as quickly as I can so I can move to the next one before the tide prevents access to the others. :BangHead:

Leisure strolls are by far the least productive, but certainly the most enjoyable once the deep summer sand has invaded the beach. I take far too many of these in the summer but there comes a point when simply giving in to blind luck and the scenery holds more promise. :laughing9:

Anyone else experience these mode changes or others? :dontknow:

PS: I tip my hat to the guy who can stay in attack mode for days on end once the deep summer sands invade the beaches and targets are as scarce as winning lottery tickets.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
hmmm...only 9 or 10 beach hours and approx 100 total detecting under my belt, but spent a few in attack mode this past Saturday and was lovin it. Not a great deal of $ value in finds but , very rewarding for me to notice some very subtle signs on a flat, "featureless", protected beach and find a concentration of happy beeps. Distance and life obligations make beach hunting likely to be just a couple times a month thing for me.So after a year of two of education, it could change... but right now I'm gonna go with ATTACK MODE.

Thanks to all of you who choose to share freely and help us noobs along:icon_thumright:
 
I just do not get to the beach often enough, so I usually go in full attack mode unless I have more than two days to hunt. I wear down after that and settle into enjoying the scenery as I hunt.
 
That's funny! I seem to cover all 3 modes in about an hour during mid summer. Usuall bout an hr before the sun goes down. I think the heat boiled my brain a little this summer.
 
Ive considered the ONE AND DONE method as well..... how many times have you found the one and only good find within minutes of hitting the beach but keep thinking ooooo im going to have a great day.... and after 5 more hours.... ive still got one good find.

Dew
 
99% of the time in "attack" mode, I have found far more gold in this than any other mode. All the times I found multiple gold was in attack mode. I look at the beach, try to read it and procede from there, if no obvious low spots or cuts I pick the largest most expensive resorts/hotels and pattern search them..
 
Last edited:
Ive considered the ONE AND DONE method as well..... how many times have you found the one and only good find within minutes of hitting the beach but keep thinking ooooo im going to have a great day.... and after 5 more hours.... ive still got one good find.

Dew

Funny you should mention that. I tried to squeeze in an evening hunt last night and got two quick bangers in the first ten feet. An hour later I was wet and cold and I still only had the two early bangers. :laughing9: Quickly lured in and then slowly duped!
 
Always nice to get one right off, means hunt is a success, done that more than a few times, but also got more than a few nice ones last 15 seconds of hunt to.. Scored nice diamond ring not 18 inches from steps to shower and parking lot as I was leaving for the day one time, found several gold bands same way as I was leaving.
 
I used to use the attack method, but I have changed my way of thinking. Now I prefer the wide zig-zag looking for hotspots and then I attack that small area and then move on with the zigging and the zagging.
 
Fresh Water Hunting I use attack mode after finding a low spot or cut. Untill then it is Zig Zag to find that spot.
Hard to find cuts and low spots in fresh water, doesn't change often like the big salt water beaches.
 
I seem to cover all three each time at the beach, just can't get to the beach often enough, but just 352 days till retirement and we'll be at the beach house daily!
 
One and done seems to be the way I go when th'ing solo. I find it hard to stay when I suspect it's going to be hard to find something better .
 
Last edited:
I go through all three modes several times during an all day hunt. Everything from hunting like a maniac to checking out the scenery.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom