The Trouble With A Buried Treasure

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Let's say someone used their imagination and saw a letter inside the circle in the picture. What letter would you think they imagined?

I don't disagree that they could see/imagine all sorts of things ! Including, yes : The very thing that you see.

Ok, and ...... what does this have to do with "treasure" ? (this is treasure-net after all )

If the answer is : "I see treasure clues", then ok: That qualifies as an answer to a question. In which case : Further answers to the question (which includes skeptical answers) are : Within the realm of orthodoxy.

ok ?

OP
OP
Legend Buster

Legend Buster

Dec 26, 2021
I don't disagree that they could see/imagine all sorts of things ! Including, yes : The very thing that you see.

Ok, and ...... what does this have to do with "treasure" ? (this is treasure-net after all )

If the answer is : "I see treasure clues", then ok: That qualifies as an answer to a question. In which case : Further answers to the question (which includes skeptical answers) are : Within the realm of orthodoxy.

ok ?
According to a legend there was a rocked marked by a 6 inch high letter. not a chiseled letter, but a natural formation that could be imagined to form a letter. And if you had to use your imagination what possible letter could you find inside the circle of the image? Humor me because I apparently humor you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
According to a legend there was a rocked marked by a 6 inch high letter. not a chiseled letter, but a natural formation that could be imagined to form a letter. And if you had to use your imagination what possible letter could you find inside the circle of the image? Humor me because I apparently humor you.

And how do we test this proof/evidence-of-treasure ? You have said it quite nicely yourself : The "Legend" is the test/proof of the "legend" right ?

Hopefully that was ok to point out. That you , yourself, said this. Even in the absence of a question mark at the end of your sentences.

And I'll be the first to admit that : Since when aren't "legends" deemed to be true ? Ie.: The : "default" premise ? Until proven otherwise/false ? That would make for an interesting thread. Is this an acceptable topic TH'r ? Ie.: who bears the burden of proof, eh?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
The trouble with buried treasure is………….IT’S BURIED!

Correct. It's not that it's not "most certainly there". It's just that it's "buried". But rest assured, it's "There". Right ? ???

OP
OP
Legend Buster

Legend Buster

Dec 26, 2021
And how do we test this proof/evidence-of-treasure ? You have said it quite nicely yourself : The "Legend" is the test/proof of the "legend" right ?

Hopefully that was ok to point out. That you , yourself, said this. Even in the absence of a question mark at the end of your sentences.

And I'll be the first to admit that : Since when aren't "legends" deemed to be true ? Ie.: The : "default" premise ? Until proven otherwise/false ? That would make for an interesting thread. Is this an acceptable topic TH'r ? Ie.: who bears the burden of proof, eh?
You never answered my question

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll answer your question...there isn't a letter there. You may believe you see a letter but only if you alter the traditionally accepted shape of the letter and perhaps even leave part of the letter off. So is it still a letter?

Personally, I see a Death's Head Moth. I'm sure there's an original VHS copy of Silence of the Lambs buried there.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Problem with a buried treasure" is, if a treasure legend says there's a rock with an "E" on it, natural or carved, one can go out anywhere in the world and in short order find a rock that has what looks like an "E" on it. One needs to let the facts, clues and evidence form the story and guide the search, not read a story and then try to find clues that fit the story.

It doesn't work like the "National Treasure" movie, in fact, i dont' know of any treasure ever found by "clue hopping" as laid out in most all legend tales. Every treasure i've ever read about being recovered was through blind luck (metal detecting in the woods, diving in the ocean or exploring caves etc), excavating known or suspected archeological sites (think pyramids and ruins), or searching historical records (such as sunken ship manifests and routes, old newspapers, gov't records etc).

So far, we've been shown a rusty common skeleton key and a natural rock, neither of which are sufficient evidence to guide us anywhere or indicate any treasure is close at hand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Legend Buster

Legend Buster

Dec 26, 2021
"The Problem with a buried treasure" is, if a treasure legend says there's a rock with an "E" on it, natural or carved, one can go out anywhere in the world and in short order find a rock that has what looks like an "E" on it. One needs to let the facts, clues and evidence form the story and guide the search, not read a story and then try to find clues that fit the story.

It doesn't work like the "National Treasure" movie, in fact, i dont' know of any treasure ever found by "clue hopping" as laid out in most all legend tales. Every treasure i've ever read about being recovered was through blind luck (metal detecting in the woods, diving in the ocean or exploring caves etc), excavating known archeological sites (think pyramids and ruins), or searching historical records (such as sunken ship manifests and routes, old newspapers, gov't records etc).

So far, we've been shown a rusty common skeleton key and a natural rock, neither of which are sufficient evidence to guide us anywhere or indicate any treasure is close at hand.
Nobody will answer what they think I might see

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only you can answer what you see. I already said I don't see a letter.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is because it is your imagination, not someone else's. It could be any letter between A to Z and any number between 0-9 It can be any shape you imagine.

All I see is natural erosion. Pareidolia will cause different people to see different shapes and pictures, in the end, it is still imagination and mother nature that formed what you see.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, several members, including mods, have answered your question: They see a rock.

Using your imagination isn't "seeing" anything, it's using the mind to form an image, not sight.

OP
OP
Legend Buster

Legend Buster

Dec 26, 2021
The prominent feature is the little foot in the circle. It draws your eye.
r8.jpg

OP
OP
Legend Buster

Legend Buster

Dec 26, 2021
I was really hoping someone could envision what I see given everything I've said. I was hoping someone could offer a guess to what possible letter would be the most likely, what I see.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friendly question for you: You've indicated you're the "Legend Buster" and that you've solved legend(s) that no one else could.

So far though, all we've been shown for evidence is a rusty common skeleton key and a rock. Do you have any verifiable facts/evidence you can share that would be strongly indicative of treasure?

Edit: To answer you question, i can't make out any letter at all, even if i use my imagination. Sorry.

OP
OP
Legend Buster

Legend Buster

Dec 26, 2021
I have a friendly question for you: You've indicated you're the "Legend Buster" and that you've solved legend(s) that no one else could.

So far though, all we've been shown for evidence is a rusty common skeleton key and a rock. Do you have any verifiable facts/evidence you can share that would be strongly indicative of treasure?
There's nothing common about the Barrel key I found. I've never seen a solid heavy duty tooth like that before, anywhere ever.

To answer your second question: apparently not.

If I said I think I see a letter in the natural formation and said, if you can guess what letter I think I see, 1i'll give you a $100, what would you guess.

I'm conducting an experiment. I'm trying to see if anyone can guess the letter I imagine

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Edit: To answer you question, i can't make out any letter at all, even if i use my imagination. Sorry.
Where's the skeleton key picture? I seem to not being able to view it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's nothing common about the Barrel key I found. I've never seen a solid heavy duty tooth like that before, anywhere ever.
Where is the barrel key that you are referring to?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread