New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The UN asks for control over the world’s Internet
RT.com
December 6, 2012

Members of the United Nation’s International Telecommunications Union (ITU) have agreed to work towards implementing a standard for the Internet that would allow for eavesdropping on a worldwide scale.

At a conference in Dubai this week, the ITU members decided to adopt the Y.2770 standard for deep packet inspection, a top-secret proposal by way of China that will allow telecom companies across the world to more easily dig through data passed across the Web.

According to the UN, implementing deep-packet inspection, or DPI, on such a global scale will allow authorities to more easily detect the transferring and sharing of copyrighted materials and other protected files by finding a way for administrators to analyze the payload of online transmissions, not just the header data that is normally identified and interpreted.

“It is standard procedure to route packets based on their headers, after all it is the part of the packet that contains information on the packet’s intended destination,” writes The Inquirer’s Lawrence Lati, “but by inspecting the contents of each packet ISPs, governments and anyone else can look at sensitive data. While users can mitigate risks by encrypting data, given enough resources encryption can be foiled.”

Tim Berners-Lee, a British computer scientist widely regarded as the ‘Father of the Internet,’ spoke out against proposed DPI implementation on such a grandiose scale during an address earlier this year at the World Wide Web Consortium.

“Somebody clamps a deep packet inspection thing on your cable which reads every packet and reassembles the web pages, cataloguing them against your name, address and telephone number either to be given to the government when they ask for it or to be sold to the highest bidder – that’s a really serious breach of privacy,” he said.

Blogger Arthur Herman writes this week for Fox News online that the goal of the delegates at the ITU “is to grab control of the World Wide Web away from the United States, and hand it to a UN body of bureaucrats.”

A d v e r t i s e m e n t

“It’ll be the biggest power grab in the UN’s history, as well as a perversion of its power,” he warns.

The ITU’s secretary general, Dr. Hamadoun I. Toure, has dismissed critics who have called the proposed DPI model invasive, penning an op-ed this week where he insists his organization’s meeting in Dubai poses “no threat to free speech.”

“It is our chance to chart a globally-agreed roadmap to connect the unconnected, while ensuring there is investment to create the infrastructure needed for the exponential growth in voice, video and data traffic,” Dr. Toure claims of the conference, adding that it presents the UN with “a golden opportunity to provide affordable connectivity for all, including the billions of people worldwide who cannot yet go online.”

Despite his explanation, though, some nation-states and big-name businesses remain opposed to the proposal. The ITU’s conference this week has been held behind closed doors, and representatives with online service providers Google, Facebook and Twitter have been barred from attending.

In a report published this week by CNet, tech journalist Declan McCullagh cites a Korean document that describes the confidential Y.2770 standard as being able to identify “embedded digital watermarks in MP3 data,” discover “copyright protected audio content,” find “Jabber messages with Spanish text,” or “identify uploading BitTorrent users.”

On Wednesday, the US House of Representatives unanimously passed a Senate resolution that asks for the American government to oppose any efforts by the United Nations to control the Internet.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
It's funny how the countries that really enslave the people try to restrict the people from the internet.I hope these people pull together and get rid of these governments that keep the people in chains.The internet is causing these communist and tyrannical type countries some serious problems.The cyber civilwar,how do you like that word i made up?and cyberprison,i made that one up too.The internet gives people to much freedom.And to much information.These governments feel threatened so they what to block the internet.This makes me sick.I hope these people pull together and get rid of these tyrannical governments.This is no way to exist.God did not plan it this way.I am glad i was born in the United States.We got problems but not like these other countries.I just hope everything works out and the internet is never restricted.Could you imagine if facebook got restricted,people would be committing suicide left and right.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every government that is having trouble controlling their citizens shuts down the internet so their people can't tell each other the truth about what is going on or coordinate rebellious efforts. Our citizens have always said our military wouldn't shoot our own people but, if the enemy was wearing blue helmets, control of the entire internet would be a controlling factor along with disarming the citizens. That's another UN goal.
I didn't know that enforcing copyrights was the job of the UN or giving Ethiopian children access to the internet. What are they going to do with a computer anyway, eat it? The UN can't even do anything about world hunger and now they want to control the internet. C'mon sheeple, what's really going on? I guess it's going to be like our country is getting between individual citizens; we are considered a "rich" nation so we are going to give up our well-earned wealth and split it with "welfare" nations. They will be better off, even with their lack of effort, and we will be worse off. I don't even like sharing my paycheck with the non-functioning of this country much less having to share my country's wealth with revolting, non-functioning, 3rd-world countries. I could care less if they have internet access.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Looks like they are going after the 1st amendment on a grand scale. Maybe it is time to bailout. Frank

Attachments

• rose on ice 700 this one.jpg
    rose on ice 700 this one.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 77

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Might be why more and more forums are blocking political comment. FEAR!!!

It isn't a new idea, been in the works for almost as long as there has been an internet, dontcha know!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be why more and more forums are blocking political comment. FEAR!!!

It isn't a new idea, been in the works for almost as long as there has been an internet, dontcha know!

Dont know about the other forums, but on TN it has nothing to do with fear, politics not allowed because it causes problems on the forums between members. Current owners said no politics unless directly related to treasure hunting because of the problems it causes.

TreasureNet is a privately own forum with public access, it is not a public forum...

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not speaking about Tnet . . . I frequent many forums including (but not limited to) photography, racing simulators, real racing, legal, web design, even forums about maintaining forums. More and more I see that ANYTHING of a political bent is verbotten! So is discussion of religion in any form.

The benevolent dictators of many of those forums do have an political leaning and moderate from that perspective.

I will say that here the meaning of no politics is no politics from either side of the aisle . . . or even from my libertarian (third rail) perspective. Sometimes it is difficult to not comment from the perspective of my principles on things that set me off, but I try.

See, I can make those comments without making it a political post 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread