THE Wolf Pack anyone remember them?

ole_grisley

Nov 23, 2007
Lycomming Co Pa
Detector(s) used
treasure cove
This is a pic of my dad and his crew. He was a tail gunner and he told me he flew off the rock.
I am tryiong to find out more info as to the plane and anything else I can. Maybe some one here might know something . My dad is the one under the letter O going from the front of plane he is next to the last and his name was Gene Tinkham. I have been trying to find the history of the plane and crew names ect and if any still alive. I am not even sure but thin it was a B52? I am sure some one can tell me. thanks Ole Grisley Dave

Attachments

• THE WOLF PACK.jpg
    THE WOLF PACK.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 764

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dave, my wifes dad was photo recon on a b-29 called 'over exposed' all over and ended up on okinawa. try going to army airforces.com, this is a fantastic site, somebody there can help you for sure, good luck, great wealth of knowledge, marinedad.

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Correct it's a B-29, also Okinawa was referred to as the "Rock". A great place to post your question is at the following site. Under the WIX hanger area, these guys are great and have a wealth of knowledge and history at their finger tips.

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/index.php

Aircraft Name: The Wolf Pack
Tail Number: 44-86340
Aircraft Type: Martin-Omaha B-29-50-MO Superfortress
Aircraft Code: Square H
Station: Kadena AB Okinawa for 90 days, later moving to Yakota AB Japan
15th AF
98th Bomb Group
345th Bomb Squadron

B-29-50-MO 44-86340 Wolf Pack of the 345th BS/98th BG, Yakota, Japan, 1951.

"Wolf Pack was one of many Korean era B-29's which had changes made to its nose art whilst in service. The original wolf, in its suit and top hat, saw his apparel change to into a dress uniform. The "frame" was removed and the name enlarged, and a running woman added to the right of the wolf. The bomber was assigned to the 345th BS, and it survived the war. An instrument panel from this machine is currently on display within the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio."

050421-F-1234P-005.jpg

WolfPack.jpg

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ffuries said:
Correct it's a B-29, also Okinawa was referred to as the "Rock". A great place to post your question is at the following site. Under the WIX hanger area, these guys are great and have a wealth of knowledge and history at their finger tips.

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/index.php

Aircraft Name: The Wolf Pack
Tail Number: 44-86340
Aircraft Type: Martin-Omaha B-29-50-MO Superfortress
Aircraft Code: Square H
Station: Kadena AB Okinawa for 90 days, later moving to Yakota AB Japan
15th AF
98th Bomb Group
345th Bomb Squadron

B-29-50-MO 44-86340 Wolf Pack of the 345th BS/98th BG, Yakota, Japan, 1951.

"Wolf Pack was one of many Korean era B-29's which had changes made to its nose art whilst in service. The original wolf, in its suit and top hat, saw his apparel change to into a dress uniform. The "frame" was removed and the name enlarged, and a running woman added to the right of the wolf. The bomber was assigned to the 345th BS, and it survived the war. An instrument panel from this machine is currently on display within the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio."

050421-F-1234P-005.jpg

WolfPack.jpg

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Wasnt the island of Corregidor also called the rock?

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe you are correct on the "Rock" comment, I seem to remember there were a few places referred to as the "Rock". Being they were all so small, I guess it makes sense, more so if you are stuck on that little piece of rock in the Pacific Ocean!

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread