Theres something wrong with this picture!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's something wrong with this picture!

Now that I'm "legally" retired, I have additional time to metal detect and pursue my artistic passion for watercolor painting.

The other night I was checking out some of the county forest preserve "regulations" around the Chicago area that are posted on their respective websites. It's bad enough that metal detecting is prohibited on many of these public, forest preserve district lands but the following "regulation" in DuPage County just put me over the top!

Section 10: Commercial Photography.
No person shall upon or in connection with any property in the District:

Take or cause to be taken any still or motion pictures or make sketches or paintings for commercial purposes without the prior written permission of the Executive Director and then only in accordance with the rules and restrictions duly set forth as part of such Permit.

So the way this reads, I will need one of their "Permits" if a neighbor or relative "might" want to purchase one of my watercolor paintings. I can understand if I was filming a fortune 500 commercial. . . but really, an interpretive sketch or painting?

travelerga

Sep 22, 2013
Silkhope Ga
Detector(s) used
(currently, Lobo & AT Pro) whites 6DB, 6000, Fisher 5 zx, Tesoro Bandito micromax,Sand Shark, Tejon. Garret GT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like Kentucky. It says "commercial" use. If you want the word Kentucky in your name, like Kentucky fried chicken you have to pay the state a fee. that is why they changed their name to KFC. make all of your painting suralistic. :)

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL. . . this would be an interesting challenge in the courts (IF the situation should ever arise)

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
very funny laws, with every day people getting better and better ???

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Governmental greed. It is being implemented in one of the "upper" class cities outside of Kansas City. If you are a professional photographer taking pictures IN one of their parks, there will be a $50.00 fee. Per event. So if you hire a professional photographer to take senior pictures, and they are taken in one of these fine parks, it will be $50.00. GREED! What more can you say.

Congrats on the retirement! Wish I was. Only about 10 more years.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sad is all I can say, I remember the good old days when I lived in America, not sure what this place is now?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
watercolor, let me ask you a question: That verbage not withstanding, what do you think would *really* happen if you took pictures, or made a painting from that FP, and then later sold said picture or painting to someone at a local street faire? Do you really think anyone actually gives a rats-@ss or knows or thinks about such things?

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watercolor, let me ask you a question: That verbage not withstanding, what do you think would *really* happen if you took pictures, or made a painting from that FP, and then later sold said picture or painting to someone at a local street faire? Do you really think anyone actually gives a rats-@ss or knows or thinks about such things?

Tom, I personally don't think anyone in their right mind would care.
The only exception might be the judge. . . for taking up the court's time with this BS,
or possibly the attorneys (who are on the clock) that crafted this verbage in the first place LOL.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Tom, I personally don't think anyone in their right mind would care.
The only exception might be the judge. . . for taking up the court's time with this BS,
or possibly the attorneys (who are on the clock) that crafted this verbage in the first place LOL.

Well, you admit that no one in their right mind cares. And you're right: If the average person walking by you in that forest preserve walked past you while you were a) taking photographs, or b) had set up your painting easel there, would NEVER stop and think to themselves "gee, is that legal?" (in the same way, mind you, does the average care less about md'rs also!!).

And also: if you showed up at the next art fair, or flea market, etc... with your painting or photo's /paintings for sale, it's also as you say: The everage person doesn't look at them and say "gee was that legal for him to have painted that pix, and now sell it?" NO! of course not! those things would probably never cross anyone's mind.

So then, if we both agree on those facts, how then can you ever appear before a "judge" or "attorneys" ? To get to that point, assumes that someone's raised a stink, cares, busts you, etc..

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watercolor, I looked for this specific "law" everywhere on the net and I can't find it. Can you post it? This is absolutely insane.

SkySgt

Jan 19, 2014
Cibolo, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX (PI) and Garrett Ace 350 (VLF) detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key words are the three that come right after the text you have highlighted .... "for commercial purposes."

Selling a watercolor painting to one of your neighbors does not constitute a commercial venture. However if you were to setup a booth at the local flea market, create a website to sell your paintings, or even open a brick & mortar store, then you would be in violation of their law.

Evidently a similar situation exists here in San Antonio, concerning photographing the Alamo. If you are an apparent tourist with your little point & shoot camera, then you have no problems photographing the Alamo. However, if you are the same tourist and show up with a digital SLR, or some other "professional looking" camera, then you have to play a game of "20 Questions." First they want to see some ID, then they want to know what magazine you are with, then they want to know what you plan to do with the photos, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah!

This has happened to me every time I have gone down to the Alamo late at night (less tourists to get into your images).

Alamo Facade (Full).jpg Alamo Facade (Upper) Storm.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions