They Say Its Diamond (How say you?)

islabucasgrande

Greenie
Jun 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow Hunters,

IMG_6200.JPG IMG_6201.JPG IMG_6202.JPG IMG_6203.JPG IMG_6204.JPG IMG_6205.JPG

Attached are the pictures of the find of my friend. This stone easily cuts a glass in half and is not affected if submerged in acid or in any chemical brought here by a geologist from the city. The latter said it may be an unrefined diamond and told my friend to bring the stone with him but my friend hesitated.

From how it appears, do you think this could be diamond?

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking - no, unless it is of the industrial variety. Is it heavy for its size? Where was it found (state or area, not exactly), and has he tested it in any way? Hardness is a starting point, but, lots of things cut glass. Has a streak test been done? (you can use the underside of your toilet top if you don't have a streak plate) Has a "look-see" been done on the interior? A fine diamond file can tell you a lot. Have other diamonds been found where this was? Lots of questions

Mrs.O

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

islabucasgrande

Greenie
Jun 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking - no, unless it is of the industrial variety. Is it heavy for its size? Where was it found (state or area, not exactly), and has he tested it in any way? Hardness is a starting point, but, lots of things cut glass. Has a streak test been done? (you can use the underside of your toilet top if you don't have a streak plate) Has a "look-see" been done on the interior? A fine diamond file can tell you a lot. Have other diamonds been found where this was? Lots of questions

Mrs.O

Yes it is heavy for its size and the tests performed on it includes being submerged in chemical compounds and the hardness test. I don't know how streak test is going to be undertaken nor have an idea about the "toilet top" thing that you mentioned. As with look-see, we cannot see through the stone.

By the way - don't test it in a big spot - just a little spot - some things, like meteorites, can lose value by cutting, etc.

Mrs.O

What does it mean by test in a big spot maam?

Should you have questions, I would be happy enough to answer them.

Upvote 0

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe he means that porcelain is a good surface to use in a streak test.
Also, when ever on what ever any kind of test is done on anything, try to make the area you're testing as small as possible.
As was mentioned already, many thing cut glass. It doesn't look like any unrefined diamond I've seen.
If you're unsure, take it to someone who has the means to test it properly.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unrefined diamond? How would you refine one?

Can you see through it when you hold it up to light? Looks metallic to me.

Diamond does not conduct electricity. Most metals do. That would be an easy test.

Could be a weathered piece of wolframite.

49390.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
It's corundum. Have seen very similar in university displays and museums. Had a sample years ago, but gone now. Has a hardness of 9...

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say put it in the rock forum and see what they say it is.

Upvote 0

FeS2

Aug 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moisonnite = natural carborundum. Possibly from a meteorite. But isn't moisonnite crystaline? Is this rock crystaline? Looks amorphous to me.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread