Thick men's silver bracelet 925 (question)

Pull tab mcfoilson

Jan 26, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett At max
Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• 20201226_144035.jpg
    20201226_144035.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20201226_144733.jpg
    20201226_144733.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 7
First...excellent silver find! Next, never, EVER, totally trust the VDI. There are so many variables and while the VDI is pretty reliable with coins, you must experience and interpret the sounds. Seriously.

aj

First...excellent silver find! Next, never, EVER, totally trust the VDI. There are so many variables and while the VDI is pretty reliable with coins, you must experience and interpret the sounds. Seriously.

aj

What about the sound? The sound was mid tone. I would think it would ring in the high tones?

Nice find!! The tone is really just a guide. How a target lies in the ground will affect the tone.

Not necessarily. I pulled small silver rings that rang up in the 50s. There are a bizzillion factors at play...from the shape of the target, angle of the coil, type of soil, other nearby targets, moisture, oxidation state of the target, etc., etc...and yes, even the mood of the user. Be careful about relying on the VDI numbers alone.

aj

I’m guessing it’s a goodie! Congrats :icon_thumright:
Cheers
Doc

Nice find!! The tone is really just a guide. How a target lies in the ground will affect the tone.

Not necessarily. I pulled small silver rings that rang up in the 50s. There are a bizzillion factors at play...from the shape of the target, angle of the coil, type of soil, other nearby targets, moisture, oxidation state of the target, etc., etc...and yes, even the mood of the user. Be careful about relying on the VDI numbers alone.

aj

Thank you guys! Really surprising the things you learn from digging everything. I'm running my machine on open now too. Just when you think you know your machine well you learn something new!

Nice piece of silver. You never really know what you have until it's out of the ground and cleaned up...

Nice find ! I think the reason for the lower numbers , is the open nature of the chain links - as opposed to a solid sheet or ingot formed bracelet.

Nice find! As Argentium said, chains almost always give a lower than expected vdi. That's why it always pays to dig!

Nice piece of silver. You never really know what you have until it's out of the ground and cleaned up...

Nice find ! I think the reason for the lower numbers , is the open nature of the chain links - as opposed to a solid sheet or ingot formed bracelet.

Nice find! As Argentium said, chains almost always give a lower than expected vdi. That's why it always pays to dig!

Thank you guys. Learning a lot and keeping an open mind. I have to say 60s and 70s vdi always tun out to be strange finds.

Nice find, silver can ring up all over the place, especially with links, so the VDI is a handy but only rough best guess.
Cleaned up it appears to be legit, though the hallmark is a little crude indicating was possibly crafted by a talented garage jewelry maker.
But I see no plate lifting, corrosion or yuck bubbles that would indicate it is not silver.

Nice bracelet. Couldn’t hurt to check it with a magnet but I am betting it is silver.

Thank you guys! Really surprising the things you learn from digging everything. I'm running my machine on open now too. Just when you think you know your machine well you learn something new!
Nice bracelet.
I usually say after a 1000hrs on a machine, I know what it's telling me.
Up till then its a learning process.

The machine is NOT picking up the entirety of the necklace all at once.

It is picking up a link or two at a time, Hence the lower vdi

There is a spot on the links that look like it is plated as it looks like it is flaking off. But only in that one spot after magnifying the picture.JMO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back