Things For Further Research

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I am no scientist but couldn't this electric field cause a compass to point in a different direction?

As could lodestone(s) or magnetized iron or similar if in great enough mass/strength.
Deviation of inclination would give different results of the course taken if pacing a direction , or multiple points ; compared to a non affected compass.
Would seem exact location of interference and compass would need to be aligned properly , or the deviation be held with the compass.
A good way to ruin a compass is to keep it on/by a microwave.

(From Silva's site.)
[My compass no longer points North. Is this normal?
Please be aware that a reverse polarity is caused by exposing your compass to articles with iron content (something as simple as being placed next to a pair of scissors or a knife for a length of time, microwaves, high tension wires, etc.).]

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
As could lodestone(s) or magnetized iron or similar if in great enough mass/strength.
Deviation of inclination would give different results of the course taken if pacing a direction , or multiple points ; compared to a non affected compass.
Would seem exact location of interference and compass would need to be aligned properly , or the deviation be held with the compass.
A good way to ruin a compass is to keep it on/by a microwave.

(From Silva's site.)
[My compass no longer points North. Is this normal?
Please be aware that a reverse polarity is caused by exposing your compass to articles with iron content (something as simple as being placed next to a pair of scissors or a knife for a length of time, microwaves, high tension wires, etc.).]

Good post, releventchair. Also some good information about compass care that I've never heard before. Thank you. :thumbsup:

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is part of the mound of useless information rolling round in my somewhat useless mind. Back at the turn of the last century about the time that wristwatches were first out. The pilots that wore them started to have problems with them. They would work great then one day they without any apparent reason wouldn't keep time. The same thing happened to telegraph operators 30 years before. The old watchmakers knew what to do. They tied a string on a magnet and demagnitized the watch. It is called deguasing. As a young watchmaker I had to keep my tools demagnitized. It wasn't until right before the the second world war Hamilton watch company came up with a hairspring that could not be magnetized and electrical fields or magnets would not effect it. Hamilton got a high dollar government contract for these pocket watches for the U.S. Army ordinance department that needed accurate time pieces for timing fire of their big guns. They had a rubber concussion sleeve. And yes I own one that was used in Europe during WWII.

Senior Deacon

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Fascinating stuff.

It's got to be said that any line that connects Very Interesting Point (VIP) A to VIP B passes through a lot of uninteresting points as well. If the idea is to keep extending the line until we find a noteworthy landmark (or keep bisecting the triangle 'legs' to generate more lines that extend and do the same) ... well that appears suspect, doesn't it ? It's like on the very old maps that have the circles with lines radiating from them that connect landmarks/place names: are these places really 'connected' by more than just lines or is it just a map maker's fancy/folly ?

I was on the verge of ordering New Mexico Confidential last night and while searching on the web for info about its author Stephen D. Clark, I found a lengthy screed on a New Age website by a man with the same name. This guy is associated with the Rudolf Steiner-ism metaphysics/psychology movement that took root in Taos and Santa Fe and all the other post-Bomb enlightenment-seekers that flocked to the SouthWest in the 60's, 70's and 80's.
Reading the article its apparent he's a believer in ancient forces/spirits/gods manifesting change in the Americas via the cultural impact and of the native tribes and their interaction and assimilation by European colonizers. Vaguely interesting stuff but delivered with the usual New-Age-y pretentiousness that's intended to make the reader feel not-quite initiated. Language like "..they moved towns under the Luciferan totemic moon" etc.

Anyone know if this is the same guy who wrote the book ? Thank you.

http://www.southerncrossreview.org/22/mex-mystery-2a.htm

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Fascinating stuff.

It's got to be said that any line that connects Very Interesting Point (VIP) A to VIP B passes through a lot of uninteresting points as well. If the idea is to keep extending the line until we find a noteworthy landmark (or keep bisecting the triangle 'legs' to generate more lines that extend and do the same) ... well that appears suspect, doesn't it ? It's like on the very old maps that have the circles with lines radiating from them that connect landmarks/place names: are these places really 'connected' by more than just lines or is it just a map maker's fancy/folly ?

I was on the verge of ordering New Mexico Confidential last night and while searching on the web for info about its author Stephen D. Clark, I found a lengthy screed on a New Age website by a man with the same name. This guy is associated with the Rudolf Steiner-ism metaphysics/psychology movement that took root in Taos and Santa Fe and all the other post-Bomb enlightenment-seekers that flocked to the SouthWest in the 60's, 70's and 80's.
Reading the article its apparent he's a believer in ancient forces/spirits/gods manifesting change in the Americas via the cultural impact and of the native tribes and their interaction and assimilation by European colonizers. Vaguely interesting stuff but delivered with the usual New-Age-y pretentiousness that's intended to make the reader feel not-quite initiated. Language like "..they moved towns under the Luciferan totemic moon" etc.

Mexican Mysteries Revisited

I’ve plugged New Mexico Confidential many times since it was published. It’s the best treasure hunting book I’ve ever read. I still use it as a resource for my research. There is nothing in the book that I would consider New Age. Steve shares valuable information and supplies coordinates to important sites. This book is a great buy, in my opinion.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Fascinating stuff.

Mexican Mysteries Revisited

The great circle segments are observations that I have given that can be easily checked on google earth. If there is information that somebody can use, that’s great. If you are skeptical, I don’t blame you.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just a general interest in world history and digging into mysteries- type stuff. I’m in North Carolina (from the UK originally) and haven’t visited the Southwest, nor involved in any treasure hunting (yet)...BUT love to read, observe, learn, and participate - hopefully without appearing too foolish among more learned members :).

Your (and Patrick, of course) posts are some of the most interesting observations and speculations I’ve read on this site. I would love to see the LUE mystery solved, though I am skeptical the map is older than 20th c.

Your interaction with “a1ww1” (i know i misspelled them) looked promising. The idea that the small cache sites might align with ancient trails makes a lot of sense if we consider the reasons these caches were left in the ground. One reason might be “insurance policy”: the prospector or smuggler keeps hidden stash(es) along their point A to point B route in case valuables (to barter for life or provisions) are needed without traveling back to home base.

Anyways, I’m eagerly awaiting my NM Confidential book.. arriving saturday !

Last edited:

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I echo Mdog. NM Confidential is an excellent book. It has “top shelf” status in my library. Ryano you are on a journey of discovery of “what was”, “what is”, and “what ifs”. Side note: I have been reading the Bureau of Ethnology reports as well. Nothing stands out yet.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks Dirt.

I imagine the last thing the Smithsonian\Gov't wanted is every Tom, Dick, and Harry using their reports to crawl all over the Southwest disturbing already disturbed sites looking for valuables, Indian or otherwise. I've checked the master indexes and the words "mining", "smelter", "mine", "prospect" appear only once or none at all. Was KvM insinuating that the BAE authors didn't know what they were looking at and misinterpreted their observations. If they did know that the piles of rock cairns were really ancient ore smelters or Spanish trail markers etc, they would've identified them as such, if the intention was to include them in these publications. I don't believe they were purposefully changing the "nomenclature". Why bother ? Just put those notes in another journal altogether. Just thinking out loud here..

good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Just a general interest in world history and digging into mysteries- type stuff. I’m in North Carolina (from the UK originally) and haven’t visited the Southwest, nor involved in any treasure hunting (yet)...BUT love to read, observe, learn, and participate - hopefully without appearing too foolish among more learned members :).

Your (and Patrick, of course) posts are some of the most interesting observations and speculations I’ve read on this site. I would love to see the LUE mystery solved, though I am skeptical the map is older than 20th c.

Your interaction with “a1ww1” (i know i misspelled them) looked promising. The idea that the small cache sites might align with ancient trails makes a lot of sense if we consider the reasons these caches were left in the ground. One reason might be “insurance policy”: the prospector or smuggler keeps hidden stash(es) along their point A to point B route in case valuables (to barter for life or provisions) are needed without traveling back to home base.

Anyways, I’m eagerly awaiting my NM Confidential book.. arriving saturday !

I also enjoy World history but I’m not a traveler so I enjoy the tnet posts of our members who have been to historic sites around the world.

I guess if if somebody would look at the LUE map, they might be able to find some type of coordinate by using a protractor but I think there might be additional information that is needed to go along with the map.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Its been going on 60 years since the map was published. That's plenty of time for a limited number of cache sites to be picked clean by dedicated searchers operating above and under the radar. IIRC , Patrick's cache was already empty when he uncovered it and if the other recovery stories are true, I doubt the successful hunters stopped looking after the first cache they found. For every "serious" hunter posting here on the web, there's probably 10 more out in the field we don't hear from.

There's even a TV Show of Utah treasure hunters that are looking for it now (treasuresinamerica.com) .. they call it the "4 Corners Story of Gold Treasure ~ 1500lbs of Gold" .. sounds like the LUE or a variation of it ? I don't take them too seriously (I don't think they've found anything noteworthy, they like to whoop it up and shoot guns in the desert, at least that's what they portray on videos and Travel Channel show episode that aired).

New MExico Confidential arriving tomorrow !

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the LUE Map pertained to Sir Francis Drake's treasure that is buried on Angel Island near San Francisco?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should be on treasurenet forum somewhere but it was years ago. A poster claimed he solved the LUE and that Sir Francis Drake hid over 30 or 40 tons of silver on Angel Island in San Francisco Bay?

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I spent an hour reading about the long and storied history of Angel Island (but I haven't looked here for the Drake=LUE thread yet). I'd always wondered exactly where Mount Livermore was.. now I know. Thanks for bringing it up Franklin !

New Mexico Confidential arrived earlier today. I'm resisting the urge to skip to the back half of the book and instead reading Steve's story first. So far it's good. I like his writing style - to the point and easy to follow the action.

Only problem I have with reading books these days is I get sleepy so I have to sit at the kitchen table (wood chairs no cushions) or it's nap-time if I'm in the easy chair. I could be wide awake after the best nights sleep ever and I still drift off after 15 minutes of reading print. Doesn't happen if I'm looking at a computer screen though !

Alright, break time over - back to the book !

Last edited:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a very informative good book, I was lucky enough to have Steve send me a signed copy. I was particularly interested in pages 188-190 or so, there is some striking similarity to what I am dealing with on our treasure trail. I wish I had half of his writing talent as well.

L.C.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread