What's new

Think it is a bullet.. but what do i know.

USTiger

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2006
Messages
745
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing a Geocaching hunt i found this on the ground... i am not sure what it is.. but by my best guess it is a bullet.

it is 22 millimeter long and 12 millimeter wide.

Please help

USTiger
 

Attachments

  • 100_4654.webp
    100_4654.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 416
  • 100_4655.webp
    100_4655.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 394
  • 100_4656.webp
    100_4656.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 396
Monty said:
From looking at the first picture I thought the thing was hollow and I couldn't see how anyone thought it was a bullet. But I am guessing now that it is not hollow so never mind. I reload and shoot my own .45-70 rifle and I supoose it could be a bullet for it. I only use modern hard cast bullets and don't know what the original bullet looked like. Mine are 405 grain (I use two types, a round nose and a semi wadcutter style nose) both have a flat base. And no , there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers like my first post. Monty

I wouldnt call any of your posts"Dumb",Monty,we are all allowed a "slip",every now and then :laughing7: :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Monty wrote:
> I only use modern hard cast bullets and don't know what the original bullet looked like.

Apparently you didn't see the photo I posted which shows two 1870s Original 45/70 bullets, which were excavated from a "Wild West" US Army fort's practice-range.

Just in case, if by saying "bullet" you meant the complete cartridge for a 45/70 rifle, I'll post a photo at the end of this message, showing several. They are cartridges #2 and #3 (counting from the left) in the photo.

Pre-1877 45/70 cartridge-cases were made of copper. After the wipeout of Custer at the battle of Little Big Horn (in 1876), the Army changed the 45/70 cartridge from copper to brass.

For any forum-readers who want to learn more about the 45/70 Springfield Rifle (and Carbine, and Cadet-model), when they were first adopted, and when their usage ends:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Model_1873
 

Attachments

  • IndianWar_cartridges_45-70_7ctgs_emailtext_individuals.webp
    IndianWar_cartridges_45-70_7ctgs_emailtext_individuals.webp
    31.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IndianWars_bullets_45-70Springfield3groove_FortCusterRange_c.webp
    IndianWars_bullets_45-70Springfield3groove_FortCusterRange_c.webp
    12 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 0
Kuger and USTiger... you're welcome. My purpose in participating at the What-Is-It forum is to be a helpful Educator. As I'm now one of the "oldtimer" metal-detecting relic-hunters (started in 1974), I've seen (and closely examined, and done ID-research about) thousands of dug-up items. My purpose is to share that knowledge with people who are newer to the hobby. Several "oldtimers" did that for me, way back when I was newer to the hobby than they were. Sharing it is the only way to repay those guys, almost all of whom have passed away.
 
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Kuger and USTiger... you're welcome. My purpose in participating at the What-Is-It forum is to be a helpful Educator. As I'm now one of the "oldtimer" metal-detecting relic-hunters (started in 1974), I've seen (and closely examined, and done ID-research about) thousands of dug-up items. My purpose is to share that knowledge with people who are newer to the hobby. Several "oldtimers" did that for me, way back when I was newer to the hobby than they were. Sharing it is the only way to repay those guys, almost all of whom have passed away.

Well,I thank you,and hope you stick around,this I.D. section is the best on the net,and its because of fellows like you :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
I like to share what little I know but I have learned a lot more than I could ever have imagined. I didnt even know how to use a computer when I joined TN.

The "What Is It" forum is becoming a great resource. Maybe not as good as the UK finds but getting there. ;D http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ I believe we corrected them once or twice. :wink:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom