What's new

this getting old..er can be challenging on its own

until I got some meds to help me, I was a power dribbler and had to go all the time whether I could or not. My father used to gripe at me for hunting and fishing, said that i needed to be working even more over time, that all of that was for the "golden years", I told him that I might not even make it to those golden years. half of the people I know now have some sort on implant, hips, shoulders, knee replacements even finger joint replacements. Oh yeah, there are those who seem impervious to growing older and I do envy them for that, I just hope that they know how blessed they are to be that way. My wife is constantly telling me that she is glad to have someone like me to be growing old with, that I make her feel better about her own problems. I am glad to have her as my wife, we both have our good days and bad but like two nights ago, took her out on a date up on the mountain, dropped the tailgate and had supper right there as we watched the sunset, a total surprise for her and it made her cry. one last little thing to ponder on, when was the last time that you told a loved one how much you loved them, a friend how good of a friend they were? we aren't guaranteed our next breath and neither are they. just a thought.
 
2 years ago I had to see the doctor about stomach pain. He told me I had the heart of a 20 year old. I asked him if he could make the rest of my body the same!!!
 
As long as you can look back on all the great times you had out on the trail and know it was because
you caught the TH Bug while young it's all good. You all may be smarter than you're given credit for.
You've been to the library so many times everyone there knows your name. I used to tell librarians
"I've read every book in here and still don't know anything."

But you do know things few do. Like what mining was like and how miners entertained themselves
and how they banked their highgrade. How to keep your ears on when locals are telling about the
old lady who came back to find her grandpa's gold he put down under a certain cottonwood. You've
developed an eye for old homesteads no one else notices.

But you can no longer make the climb up to the top of the Divide and see God's fountain shimmering
in the evening sun. And that's the worst of it, the body wears out with age but the memories can't
be erased.
 
I've ben an auto mechanic for 18 years:dontknow: Well I went to work one morning, and had a foot long screwdriver in my hand. Went over to the coffee pot some sugar, coffee creamer and I went back to work. About 1/2 later I was looking for my screwdriver, could not remember for the life of me where I left it. It was a snap-on bright orange handle on it. I was going in circles for an hour till I found it near the coffee stirrers. :BangHead:
 
a couple of years ago I actually went to the the return section service desk at Walmart and told them that I would like to make an exchange, the two ladies looked up at me and asked what I needed to exchange, so I told them, "I need a newer body." one of the ladies cracked up and told me, "Yeah, you and me both!" can you imagine it, with what you know now and a younger body?
 
a couple of years ago I actually went to the the return section service desk at Walmart and told them that I would like to make an exchange, the two ladies looked up at me and asked what I needed to exchange, so I told them, "I need a newer body." one of the ladies cracked up and told me, "Yeah, you and me both!" can you imagine it, with what you know now and a younger body?

Yea, My only competition would be from 'above'. lol Frank...- five star.webp
 
Well, as the old saying goes, You are only as old as you feel!
I hate when people say that because IM 61 but
I feel like im 80.
 
I think you guys have it made.
Do any of you want to deal with...self check out. A smart phone (oxymoron)
MTV, VH1 or any of the reality shows....
As my daughter would say...OMG. WTF. IDK ROFLAMO.....:laughing7:
I think, in reality, most of you have passed something on...skills, respect, morals, values. Taught a kid...or grand kid..how to drive a "stick" How to read a map...not a GPS. I remember manual roll down windows.
You have said...read a book! you still have a radio that receives..."AM". :laughing7:
You remember.. 8 track. 33 rpm. cassette..remember those things?:laughing7:
I salute you!! 7351036e9657a6a959b122597581e74a.webp
 
I think you guys have it made.
Do any of you want to deal with...self check out. A smart phone (oxymoron)
MTV, VH1 or any of the reality shows....
As my daughter would say...OMG. WTF. IDK ROFLAMO.....:laughing7:
I think, in reality, most of you have passed something on...skills, respect, morals, values. Taught a kid...or grand kid..how to drive a "stick" How to read a map...not a GPS. I remember manual roll down windows.
You have said...read a book! you still have a radio that receives..."AM". :laughing7:
You remember.. 8 track. 33 rpm. cassette..remember those things?:laughing7:
I salute you!! View attachment 1040385

I salute them also Viking.... And I remember using MY grandma's outhouse!!!
 
oh yeah, the outhouse and when they finally got it, a "party line"... and not the kind of party line that the kids of today think of but one phone line that had up to 5 or more houses using. there was always the gossip that got on it for hours and then those who would listen in. We made our own fun using our minds, walked everywhere and actually did chores. we were given very little and had to earn everything (most of what we were given was hand me downs). if by chance I had gotten into any kind of trouble at school, I got spanked by my mother when I got home and whooped by my father after he got home! times have really changed, I am now a nervous wreck at doctor's offices when the little kids are totally out of control... I want to grab them and bust their bottoms so they would mind. we have created an environment where our kids think completely that they are smarter than us, that they know everything and we are just old and stupid. do they teach common sense today? how to count change? where our food actually comes from? who pays for the welfare system? just asking
 
oh yeah, the outhouse and when they finally got it, a "party line"... and not the kind of party line that the kids of today think of but one phone line that had up to 5 or more houses using. there was always the gossip that got on it for hours and then those who would listen in. We made our own fun using our minds, walked everywhere and actually did chores. we were given very little and had to earn everything (most of what we were given was hand me downs). if by chance I had gotten into any kind of trouble at school, I got spanked by my mother when I got home and whooped by my father after he got home! times have really changed, I am now a nervous wreck at doctor's offices when the little kids are totally out of control... I want to grab them and bust their bottoms so they would mind. we have created an environment where our kids think completely that they are smarter than us, that they know everything and we are just old and stupid. do they teach common sense today? how to count change? where our food actually comes from? who pays for the welfare system? just asking

I remember my Grandma's ring was 2 longs and 1 short ring. When somebody on the "party line" got a call EVERYBODY got a "ring".
If I got into trouble at school.... you can bet I was in trouble at home also. BUTT WHUPPING TIME.... every time!!!!
When dad said... "Think you can mow the lawn tomorrow?". That really wasn't a question.... He meant it had better be mowed when he got home. A "maybe" answer would be BUTT WHUPPING TIME.
And when the Grandkids stay for a few days it takes about 1-2 hrs. to get the rules straight (OURS). And when mom or dad shows up they just revert back into their "normal" behavior instantly. They ask "What do you do with that"? BUTT WHUPPING TIME.... again!
 
I remember the outhouse on my uncles farm. If you had to sit down, you always gave it a good inspection for spiders while you held your breath. Kids today laugh when I say hubcaps. Hay I even remember the old app. 3" ones that covered the bolt that held the wheel on the wagon. I remember the gas lights also. The real old ones that worked on an acetylene generator in the cellar. Hay, I even know the difference between a cellar and a basement. The cellar has no outside entrance. I remember the old gas lighter coming around and lighting the street lights, now that's old!
Frank...-five star.webp111-2 de Vinci.webp
 
we actually caught a relative in the outhouse one time, it was about fifty yards from the house, just past the garden and the apple trees. the apple trees were overloaded and numerous apples had fallen to the ground and rotted so we bombarded the outhouse with the splattering rotten apples, for how long? no clue but the wasps and bugs were beginning to be attracted to the growing mess. the relative was actually a great aunt who took it all in good fun but one of the younger kids spilled the beans and the ole peach limbs took over. one boy actually fell in the outhouse, he cried all the way to the pond where he spent the next hour washing out his clothes and himself. ah, the memories!
 
we actually caught a relative in the outhouse one time, it was about fifty yards from the house, just past the garden and the apple trees. the apple trees were overloaded and numerous apples had fallen to the ground and rotted so we bombarded the outhouse with the splattering rotten apples, for how long? no clue but the wasps and bugs were beginning to be attracted to the growing mess. the relative was actually a great aunt who took it all in good fun but one of the younger kids spilled the beans and the ole peach limbs took over. one boy actually fell in the outhouse, he cried all the way to the pond where he spent the next hour washing out his clothes and himself. ah, the memories!

Mr. dirtlooter.... YOU absolutely need to be at the first "official" T-net old timers meeting. Your one that could probably bring up stories that we'd all laugh our asses off at among others. I'd host here in Middle TN. but some will have to camp, some can hit the carpet, some can hit the 3 couches, a lucky one gets the queen size bed and private bath (I'm the boss here... kinda), some can get a room close or just hang a hammock close to the house! You'd fit right in buddy.... :occasion14:
 
oh yeah, the outhouse and when they finally got it, a "party line"... and not the kind of party line that the kids of today think of but one phone line that had up to 5 or more houses using. there was always the gossip that got on it for hours and then those who would listen in. We made our own fun using our minds, walked everywhere and actually did chores. we were given very little and had to earn everything (most of what we were given was hand me downs). if by chance I had gotten into any kind of trouble at school, I got spanked by my mother when I got home and whooped by my father after he got home! times have really changed, I am now a nervous wreck at doctor's offices when the little kids are totally out of control... I want to grab them and bust their bottoms so they would mind. we have created an environment where our kids think completely that they are smarter than us, that they know everything and we are just old and stupid. do they teach common sense today? how to count change? where our food actually comes from? who pays for the welfare system? just asking

Outhouse? Oh...you mean those plastic things that are on construction job sites!rofl.gif
 
I'm old enough(62) to remember that my Grandparents didn't have indoor plumbing, and the only running water was the pump head that came up through the floor in the kitchen.....the container on the side of the wood cook stove was where the water was heated.....so now when the water here in the house freezes in the winter, it's nothing to head outside to relieve oneself:laughing7:....I also wish that my 25 year old brain would stop overloading my body! Gary
 
one last laugh, just had to share this one, we were visiting my father's brother, they lived in a smallish trailer and we boys(2 cousins and my brother and myself) were told that the one and only bathroom was for the adults/females only. that was okay with us, out in the country anyways so after dark thirty, someone said "I have to go"and so we all headed outside to take care of business. there was no moon and it was dark so we made our way out past the trucks and cars and spread out, I remember looking up at the stars and just getting started good when my brother started screaming to high heaven! He wouldn't stop screaming and about that time, our older cousin yells "OH YEAH, THE ELECTRIC FENCE IS OVER HERE!" my brother moaned for several minutes while we laughed and afterwards I asked him why he kept going on the wire... he answered that he couldn't quit, he was frozen in place until it finally stopped! anyways, he is 55 now and as far as we know, no kids ever, always wondered. they had horses and kept them out of the yard with the fence. (for fun we boys had dried(well most of the time) cow manure fights.) we were boys!
 
I know exactly what everyone is talking about. Heck I remember when ...........

What were we talking about again?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom