What's new

This is the strangest thing I have found so far!

Company F

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2009
Messages
66
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/White's Classic IDX/Fisher F2
I found this today at a public park in my neighborhood. I was getting a VDI of 85 on my White's MXT using my smaller 5.3 concentric sniper coil. It is an old brass Coca Cola watch fob measuring 1-3/4" by 1-3/4" and was manufactured around 1925 by the Schwaab company in Milwaukee. Cokes were 5 cents back in those days and probably still contained cocaine. Back then, the swastika was a symbol of good fortune and success. It had been used throughout history dating back to the ancient Egyptians and our own Native Americans, just to mention a couple. It was not a symbol of hatred or Nazi Germany yet. This was all about to change.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2109.jpgcrpsm.webp
    IMG_2109.jpgcrpsm.webp
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,659
Upvote 6
I have a "good luck" medallion with a large swastika on it, surrounded by other good luck tokens.

I also have a US WWI recruiting poster with Liberty walking with a bayonet in her hand, in the corner is a poem with a swastika between the title and the body.

Up until after the war, even into the early 50's, there was the Swastika Coal Company in Northern New Mexico. Had tokens and all kinds of things including delivery trucks with swastikas emblazoned. Lucky they didn't suffer an air strike.
 
Very cool find, I love Coke memorabilia !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D
 
Neat find. The first I've seen. :thumbsup:
 
Very nice find - I think the cocaine was removed earlier, maybe by 1906, when the Pure Food and Drug act was passed. That might be worth having restored (straightened and cleaned), knowing how Coca-Cola advertising is highly collectible, and with the swastika factor.
 
My bet is the fob was manufactured square, and someone used a grinding bit or the like to make the notches that gave it the swastika look.
 
What a fob !!!! :headbang: Looks like someone used some method to notch it,to me as well.
 
Here in Hungary the swastika, together with the red star and hammer&sickle are illegal to display in public (flags, t-shirts, hats, armbands, jewelry, etc) except for purposes of education, reenactment, etc.. So please appreciate the freedom to display your antique nazi-coca-cola medal!!! :laughing7:
Anyway, it's a real cool find. Congrats!!!!!!!!! :hello2:
 
Nice find - 1st one I've ever seen!
 
Very neat piece... funny but the swastika was not universally drawn either clockwise or counterclockwise, and it occurs in both curved and squared forms
 
It appears that the Hindus were either very conflicted or very neutral.

I wish your chart had some time periods on it. I know many of those appeared hundreds to thousands of years ago. Interesting. The "Star of David" motif may also have a varied history. I have an almost ancient Moroccan coin with a Star of David on it, and I doubt it celebrated diversity. I think it dated to early Moslem invasion periods.

Sometimes, the Anasazi used the motif in a continuous pattern all the way around the pot or jug.
 
My first thought is that it's valuable as a collectible, some people are really into old coka cola items.
And furthermore it's just cool!
Nice find,
Born Free
 
I wonder if it's bent at the top because it's supposed to be a bottle top opener!
 
Scarce , seldom found , Coke watch fob collectible , ! like it :headbang:
 
Boy, before looking at Firefighter 35's referenced web site, I would have had no problem believing that someone ground a swastika out of a square. Good research!
 
That's so cool. It is called a 'Lucky charm' swastika fob by Coca-Cola circa 1925 USA. I was offered 60.00 for mine through a private collector.
 

Attachments

  • 005.webp
    005.webp
    111 KB · Views: 1,202
  • 005.webp
    005.webp
    111 KB · Views: 1,187
Cool Find!
I remember seeing this a while back,
Great Digs :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom