This is tiny button right?

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure this is a tiny button. Can anyone help me date it? Or has anyone seen a similar one? Or is it even a button. Thanks

ED97FE37-1BE0-4F3A-92DB-A4CEE2353F68.jpeg

B75B2FEF-D492-4F07-AFD0-E14402EF71D4.jpeg

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It appears to be an uncommonly small version of what button collectors call a "brass 1-pieece flatbutton." That type often had a floral emlem on its front, so we relic-diggers call those a "flowerbutton." Yours seems to show a little of a manufacturer's mark ("backmark") encircling the stub of the broken thread-loop, so that dates your brass 1-piece flatbutton to the early-1800s. (Same thing without a backmark is 1700s-into-early-1800s.)

You might be wondering what such a tiny button was used for. One purpose we know of with certainty is, ladies' button-up hightop shoes.

Attachments

• heelplate_ladies-shoe-with-heart-cutout-heelplate_dug-in-1880s-dump_sideview_ARH_photobyMarty_sh.jpg
    heelplate_ladies-shoe-with-heart-cutout-heelplate_dug-in-1880s-dump_sideview_ARH_photobyMarty_sh.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your help

It appears to be an uncommonly small version of what button collectors call a "brass 1-pieece flatbutton." That type often had a floral emlem on its front, so we relic-diggers call those a "flowerbutton." Yours seems to show a little of a manufacturer's mark ("backmark") encircling the stub of the broken thread-loop, so that dates your brass 1-piece flatbutton to the early-1800s. (Same thing without a backmark is 1700s-into-early-1800s.)

You might be wondering what such a tiny button was used for. One purpose we know of with certainty is, ladies' button-up hightop shoes.

Well thanks for all the info cannonballguy. Iā€™ve learned so much on this site in a short amount of time and I am truly grateful. The idea it came off a ladyā€™s shoe was reinforced for me. When I found one of those purse top things nearby. Well Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s what it is. Iā€™ve only had my AT-Pro for about month. So Iā€™m very new to all this. Here is a picture of the purse thing.

BF0C32E7-8611-408F-A396-587A796FEA51.jpeg

What do ā€œweā€ call these? Iā€™ve been noticing there seems to be a nickname for just about everything that comes out of the ground. Lol

I took another look at the back of it and for the life of me canā€™t seem to make out any writing or marks. Iā€™m not saying that they arenā€™t there. I just canā€™t see them. Normally I wouldnā€™t care too much. But Iā€™m really trying to get an idea of the time period for this property Iā€™m detecting now. It happens to be on the property Iā€™m renting now. But we are moving out may 1st. So just trying to see if I should be hitting this place hard for the next 6 weeks. Or spending my time at the other sites Iā€™m working.

Somewhere I have one of those clip-on 200x microscopes for my phone. Iā€™ll find it and get a closer, better picture of the back of the button. Just to be 100% sure.

Also a simple technical question, how do I link someoneā€™s user name in my replyā€™s. Rather than quoting the whole response. I would prefer to just ā€œtagā€ someone. So it will show up in there notifications. Without posting their entire reply. Which usually seems to be the post that came right before. seems like a lot of wasted space just to make sure the person sees it. Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
According to my wife that is a kiss-snap or kiss-lock purse.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New pics after cleaning

I Havenā€™t looked for that snap on microscope thing for my phone yet. But I did a little dry brush cleaning on the tiny button. I was really trying to clean up the back to see if I could see any manufacturer marks. I still canā€™t see any. It looks like a pattern to my eyes. But I donā€™t know anything about them. Why would there be a design on the back. If itā€™s a button you would never see that side. So maybe itā€™s just corrosion. Or maybe itā€™s a mark. I was expecting letters or numbers. Could a manufacturer mark be a design? Any way here are some new pics with it cleaned up. 2 pics for each side. One with the lighting directly over the top. The second is with the light to the side. At an angle that made the longest shadows. I thought that would help any design or MMā€™s show up better.
50655A28-8591-4BC7-9AB7-BDC2F79716C6.jpeg
Iā€™m hoping cannaball guy sees these new pics. And it either reinforces his opinion about a MM on the back. Or it changes his mind.

Upvote 0

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some buttons have a little bit of design on the back. What looks like a design on the back could be the maker's mark words/letters distorted by oxidation over time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some buttons have a little bit of design on the back. What looks like a design on the back could be the maker's mark words/letters distorted by oxidation over time.

Ok, makes since. Whatā€™s your or anybodyā€™s elseā€™s opinion? Does mine have whatā€™s left of a design or is it a manufacturer mark?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread