This is tiny button right?

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure this is a tiny button. Can anyone help me date it? Or has anyone seen a similar one? Or is it even a button. Thanks

ED97FE37-1BE0-4F3A-92DB-A4CEE2353F68.jpeg

B75B2FEF-D492-4F07-AFD0-E14402EF71D4.jpeg

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It appears to be an uncommonly small version of what button collectors call a "brass 1-pieece flatbutton." That type often had a floral emlem on its front, so we relic-diggers call those a "flowerbutton." Yours seems to show a little of a manufacturer's mark ("backmark") encircling the stub of the broken thread-loop, so that dates your brass 1-piece flatbutton to the early-1800s. (Same thing without a backmark is 1700s-into-early-1800s.)

You might be wondering what such a tiny button was used for. One purpose we know of with certainty is, ladies' button-up hightop shoes.

Attachments

• heelplate_ladies-shoe-with-heart-cutout-heelplate_dug-in-1880s-dump_sideview_ARH_photobyMarty_sh.jpg
    heelplate_ladies-shoe-with-heart-cutout-heelplate_dug-in-1880s-dump_sideview_ARH_photobyMarty_sh.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your help

It appears to be an uncommonly small version of what button collectors call a "brass 1-pieece flatbutton." That type often had a floral emlem on its front, so we relic-diggers call those a "flowerbutton." Yours seems to show a little of a manufacturer's mark ("backmark") encircling the stub of the broken thread-loop, so that dates your brass 1-piece flatbutton to the early-1800s. (Same thing without a backmark is 1700s-into-early-1800s.)

You might be wondering what such a tiny button was used for. One purpose we know of with certainty is, ladies' button-up hightop shoes.

Well thanks for all the info cannonballguy. I’ve learned so much on this site in a short amount of time and I am truly grateful. The idea it came off a lady’s shoe was reinforced for me. When I found one of those purse top things nearby. Well I’m pretty sure that’s what it is. I’ve only had my AT-Pro for about month. So I’m very new to all this. Here is a picture of the purse thing.

BF0C32E7-8611-408F-A396-587A796FEA51.jpeg

What do “we” call these? I’ve been noticing there seems to be a nickname for just about everything that comes out of the ground. Lol

I took another look at the back of it and for the life of me can’t seem to make out any writing or marks. I’m not saying that they aren’t there. I just can’t see them. Normally I wouldn’t care too much. But I’m really trying to get an idea of the time period for this property I’m detecting now. It happens to be on the property I’m renting now. But we are moving out may 1st. So just trying to see if I should be hitting this place hard for the next 6 weeks. Or spending my time at the other sites I’m working.

Somewhere I have one of those clip-on 200x microscopes for my phone. I’ll find it and get a closer, better picture of the back of the button. Just to be 100% sure.

Also a simple technical question, how do I link someone’s user name in my reply’s. Rather than quoting the whole response. I would prefer to just “tag” someone. So it will show up in there notifications. Without posting their entire reply. Which usually seems to be the post that came right before. seems like a lot of wasted space just to make sure the person sees it. Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
According to my wife that is a kiss-snap or kiss-lock purse.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New pics after cleaning

I Haven’t looked for that snap on microscope thing for my phone yet. But I did a little dry brush cleaning on the tiny button. I was really trying to clean up the back to see if I could see any manufacturer marks. I still can’t see any. It looks like a pattern to my eyes. But I don’t know anything about them. Why would there be a design on the back. If it’s a button you would never see that side. So maybe it’s just corrosion. Or maybe it’s a mark. I was expecting letters or numbers. Could a manufacturer mark be a design? Any way here are some new pics with it cleaned up. 2 pics for each side. One with the lighting directly over the top. The second is with the light to the side. At an angle that made the longest shadows. I thought that would help any design or MM’s show up better.
50655A28-8591-4BC7-9AB7-BDC2F79716C6.jpeg
I’m hoping cannaball guy sees these new pics. And it either reinforces his opinion about a MM on the back. Or it changes his mind.

Upvote 0

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some buttons have a little bit of design on the back. What looks like a design on the back could be the maker's mark words/letters distorted by oxidation over time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some buttons have a little bit of design on the back. What looks like a design on the back could be the maker's mark words/letters distorted by oxidation over time.

Ok, makes since. What’s your or anybody’s else’s opinion? Does mine have what’s left of a design or is it a manufacturer mark?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread