This metal detecting thing is so addictive I’m going running out of ground

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look it’s rainy and damp my hands hurt I’m getting old but still move around, I’m going start talking to the trees to see if they have information, lol, I already do. Hey but these detectors are doing the best I guess, I don’t care if I dig up targets that are false numbers and sounds, but where is the stuff, I get excited finding relics to, look we find our share of silver yes we do in barber, and Mercury dimes, Buffalo, v nickels, wheat and Indian pennies, and these lousy ass zinc penni that will fall apart soon. If you only knew where my friend and self go, Lewis and Clark here, here in far western Pennsylvani, woods shoreline way down. So my question is where’s the stuff we are missing, I no early settlers where poor, heck we find spoons, buttons etc, but what is the real hope of finding anything older than an 1836 large cent.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good stuff is in places that no one wants to detect. Swampy areas, spots overgrown with brush, spots off the beaten path and a mile in the woods. The really good spots are the ones with no modern day trash (especially aluminum). If I start to find aluminum, I move on to another spot. The truly virgin spots are where hikers and hunters have never polluted the land with pull tabs, aluminum foil or beer cans.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You see your right you go off the grid you don’t find aluminum, pull tabs, maybe iron or lead, but it’s hard to get permission, why some dam grandma clampet come out with shotgun or call fuzz terrible what to do

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You see your right you go off the grid you don’t find aluminum, pull tabs, maybe iron or lead, but it’s hard to get permission, why some dam grandma clampet come out with shotgun or call fuzz terrible what to do
I seem to never have to really worry about the permissions.
The % ratio for yes's sure trump the no's.
But loosing a permission-well those sting a tad sometimes still.

Though why would Grandma come a walking out with the shotgun or calling the fuzz?

I can be far removed from the activity of the modern and still dig an aluminum something. Rabies packs are a common find out and about-all sounding good when the old is near.
Then there's the tractor driver throws, what ever they consume the debris gets tossed in the dirt of the field.
Even with the thousands of acres of permissions-sometimes they get pretty quiet.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By land and by water, and woods. Did anyone ever go to there lake when the water is way low, you see tree trunks, big rock, maybe foundation. Yeah the land wasnt always manmade lakes etc. so some areas created dams to prevent flooding which covered up all old house or early settlers homesteads, most land was open farmlands. Yeah so go appreciate this because most of the year the water covers the past up,

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well permission present the unknown, it don’t matter how you dress or present yourself, people don’t understand the true detectorist, a shovel looks intimidatin. All we want to do is show people what’s in there ground, I like finding old relics, tractor parts, horse and buggy items, and even brass, the excitement of the find still gets me excited

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lesson number #1 Never walk up with the shovel-it looks like a 20 ton excavator in the eyes of the potential permission.
The permission process can be different with every ask, as it depends on the place, time, crop, weather, farm.

I look like somebody might be inclined to buy me a lunch most times as my clothes are worn, mended, and I don't put on the "Airs" for nobody. (Not to say it can't be done.)

I ask about the field and ownership first.
If they own it-I ask them if they know anything about the history of the homestead that was there?
(Even if they don't-I fill them in why I an inquiring)
Got their attention now.

Then I do a left pre/post of that asking-something to do with the crops/weather/general chat.
Then I go back to the query, and by this I pose no threat.

They might ask why-then I say I detect and have been doing so for over 50 yrs.
Gives me the only chance to forget the world. ( I have a day off from the chores/delivering something/few hrs to kill)
I detect on this land and that land-I throw some well known names out into the ring.
(Thrown in is my home local-then they know I'm not a drifter)
Then I ask if it would be ok if I hunt their land?
"Well if X let you hunt their land-that's good enough for me"

I usually give my #, and I ask for theirs, only to let them know if I find a Tbar/stake I can pull from the ground.
But I will flag it-put a pail over it-and let them know-a tractor tire is $$$.
Over the years probably saved a few, and the farmer is always grateful in getting a call.
I have lost count of the amount of land the I can freely roam around on-probably 10K+ acres.
What I see on a farm-stays on that farm-it's nobody's business

The whole process took anywhere from 5-10 minutes. :headbang::hello2:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PepperJ SURE are A LOT OF GOOD POINTS THANKS !!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread