What's new

This one might be tough

cheese

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
3,337
Reaction score
1,105
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Georgia
I've searched for info about this box and came up with exactly nothing. Curiosity is killing me... what's this box for??? It's a small wooden round box about one inch across and 5/8" tall. It came in with a group of old marbles from the 1800s that I got recently, but it may not have anything to do with marbles. It won't hold any of the marbles I got and the inside is too small to hold most any marble made unless it was a peewee size. Anyone want to take a stab at it?
 

Attachments

  • 020z.webp
    020z.webp
    68.4 KB · Views: 980
  • 021z.webp
    021z.webp
    64.3 KB · Views: 958
  • 020z.webp
    020z.webp
    68.4 KB · Views: 963
  • 021z.webp
    021z.webp
    64.3 KB · Views: 950
Upvote 0
Yes, I agree with you bigcypresshunter - an inkwell would more than likely been corked. Just need to land the company now.......
 
Upvote 0
My Grandmother owned a peddle type singer sewing machine when i was a kid, (im 50), It used a flat bobbin about the size of a nickle, give or take, about a 1/2 inch tall. they came in a small wooden box......for lack of a better word. very similar to that. JMHO
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • tec.webp
    tec.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 434
  • tec closeup.webp
    tec closeup.webp
    10 KB · Views: 421
  • tec020z.webp
    tec020z.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 418
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That's it! Now if only there was a small wooden box in that set, we'd know. Gotta be the same company though... the logo matches. Awesome work!
 
Upvote 0
You'll notice those old drafting tools all use a short piece of pencil lead that was clamped in with the thumb screw. My dad is an engineer and I've played with his old drafting tools since I was a kid, and I think this probably held these short pieces of pencil lead. Or possibly small spare parts like the thumbscrews.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
fozzyb65 said:
You'll notice those old drafting tools all use a short piece of pencil lead that was clamped in with the thumb screw. My dad is an engineer and I've played with his old drafting tools since I was a kid, and I think this probably held these short pieces of pencil lead. Or possibly small spare parts like the thumbscrews.
Yes I posted the same idea about the leads and points but the leads usually came in a tube and I see a lead tube in the case pictured. I took 4 years drafting in the 70's and I have my Dads old set. I think its a better possibility to be for small spare parts like you suggested.
 
Upvote 0
I got a part for a precision tool a few years back and it came in a box just like that one. But I do not remember what was on the label . Quite a few Tool parts are shipped in wood boxes even today. You might check that route .
 
Upvote 0
Still working on tracking down what TEC stands for. T? Engineering Co. ?

So far, I've found that the drafting kits were made in Germany for International Correspondence Schools... most that I've run across now have either Schoenner (Germany) or Charvos (USA) tools, or a combination of those.

I'd say they were for spare parts, as stated above, as most of the kits had the lead shipped in a tube.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom