What's new

This one might be tough

cheese

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
3,337
Reaction score
1,105
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Georgia
I've searched for info about this box and came up with exactly nothing. Curiosity is killing me... what's this box for??? It's a small wooden round box about one inch across and 5/8" tall. It came in with a group of old marbles from the 1800s that I got recently, but it may not have anything to do with marbles. It won't hold any of the marbles I got and the inside is too small to hold most any marble made unless it was a peewee size. Anyone want to take a stab at it?
 

Attachments

  • 020z.webp
    020z.webp
    68.4 KB · Views: 980
  • 021z.webp
    021z.webp
    64.3 KB · Views: 958
  • 020z.webp
    020z.webp
    68.4 KB · Views: 963
  • 021z.webp
    021z.webp
    64.3 KB · Views: 950
It's the kinda box that watch parts, crystals, gear wheels,etc, werestored and shipped in ??? Tony
 
Upvote 0
Well this is a guess,.. It seems to me it was a needle holder for a old phonograph.. Maybe Thomas Edison Company...
 
Upvote 0
daroofa,
That sure looks like it. I wonder if it's the same size. Looks like it's close. I searched "TEC pill box" and found out that there are pills today with TEC marked on them. They are caffeine, coedine, and acetaminophen. I wonder if they had that stuff back 100 years ago or so when pills would have come in wooden boxes. After looking at more old pill boxes, I'm certain you're right. I should have known, seeing so many things IDed here, that this wouldn't be as tough (for you guys) as I thought. Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
Pills with "TEC" on the are Percocet's. They gave me a TON of them and Oxycontin, the good stuff after my Cancer surgery's.
:icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Could be oxycodone, an opiate developed in Germany in 1916......but maybe not. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Freund and Speyer of the University of Frankfurt in Germany first synthesized oxycodone from thebaine in 1916, a few years after the German pharmaceutical company Bayer had stopped the mass production of heroin due to hazardous use, harmful use, and dependence. It was hoped that a thebaine-derived drug would retain the analgesic effects of morphine and heroin with less dependence. To some extent this was achieved, as oxycodone does not have the same immediate effect as heroin or morphine nor does it last as long.

The first clinical use of the drug was documented in 1917. It was first introduced to the US market in May 1939. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Thats a good site but Im not sure how to use it properly. There are many pages of TEC.

I looked through all 15 pages of "TEC", didn't see anything. Would be easier if they let you see more that 5 at a time.

Tried looking for "wreath, torch" under the symbols.

I'm going with old pillbox/headache powder box. But really, it could be anything small.
 
Upvote 0
trixie charger said:
Pills with "TEC" on the are Percocet's. They gave me a TON of them and Oxycontin, the good stuff after my Cancer surgery's.
:icon_thumright:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ash2276/2716079913/
 
Upvote 0
cosmic said:
Well this is a guess,.. It seems to me it was a needle holder for a old phonograph.. Maybe Thomas Edison Company...

I think cosmic may be on to something. I know I've seen a container similar to this, and I was thinking old sewing machine needles, but now that he mentions it, I believe it is Victrola/phonograph related.

HH!! :hello:
Cm2db
 
Upvote 0
coinmaster2db said:
cosmic said:
Well this is a guess,.. It seems to me it was a needle holder for a old phonograph.. Maybe Thomas Edison Company...

I think cosmic may be on to something. I know I've seen a container similar to this, and I was thinking old sewing machine needles, but now that he mentions it, I believe it is Victrola/phonograph related.

HH!! :hello:
Cm2db
I dont know if they made wood ones but I found a brass container with old needles and the Victrola tag. Sold em on eBay.
 

Attachments

  • MVC-001F.webp
    MVC-001F.webp
    98.9 KB · Views: 609
  • MVC-001F.webp
    MVC-001F.webp
    98.9 KB · Views: 618
Upvote 0
It lloks like the box is scratched at the middle letter, you sure that ain't TFC?
 
Upvote 0
I agree that it's possibly a box for Victrola needles. I have 2 complete working Victrolas and they both have the metal containers like the one shown with the needles. Those are part of the machine and I believe the wooden box may be what new needles came in when purchased at the store. One of my machines also came with triangular wooden needles (less wear to the record & better sound) and a special cutter that cuts a new point on the needles as they wear. Very cool stuff.
 

Attachments

  • Victrola needles.webp
    Victrola needles.webp
    31.8 KB · Views: 571
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom