What's new

This should be an easy one.....;o)

lms7652

Jr. Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Found this while detecting. It is about the size of a penny and seems to be made of copper. The back is flat. Dont know if it could be from the civil war era or not. Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • DSC01742.webp
    DSC01742.webp
    14.2 KB · Views: 383
Not Civil War. Yes its the Great Seal of the United States, used on US General Service military buttons since 1902, but I dont know what it is if its not a button. Maybe a civilian item. Any markings on back? Look closely. How long is the chain?
 
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
Great Seal design. Used from the early 1900s to present. Looks like the 1904 design. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Seal_of_the_United_States
Since a design change came in 1904, Im curious if there is a design difference in the 1902 General Service button as compared to the 1904 die and what is the difference? I will have to start looking closer at Great Seal buttons. The 1902-03 design would be harder to find.

Here are the 1877 design and the 1904 design and I see many differences.. I dont have a drawing of the 1902 die to compare. I sure would like to see it.
 

Attachments

  • Great_Seal_1877_drawing.webp
    Great_Seal_1877_drawing.webp
    79.6 KB · Views: 332
  • GreatSeal1904DieDrawing.webp
    GreatSeal1904DieDrawing.webp
    76.5 KB · Views: 336
Upvote 0
Looking closer, there appears to be stars on your shield. Do you have stars on the shield Ims7652?
 
Upvote 0
I think it may be the 1904 one. I have uploaded a better closeup. Thanks for all the info everyone.
 

Attachments

  • eagle.webp
    eagle.webp
    136.9 KB · Views: 315
Upvote 0
Looks like th e04 one for sure, not sure what is going on in the upper portion of the shield, just some corrosion?
 
Upvote 0
Wow good clear picture. Nice patina. I guess its a 1904-present. Most likely WWI. I would like to see a 1902 to see what it looks like. Any markings on the back?
 
Upvote 0
The back was completely smooth. I could not see any writing on it.
 
Upvote 0
How long is the chain?
 
Upvote 0
Its the post 1904 US Great Seal but it doesnt necessarily have to be a military item. Thats all I got.
 
Upvote 0
Nice find and good ID. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
I do not think so the olive branch and the arrows in the claws are not same as either pictured. :dontknow: :coffee2: rob
 
Upvote 0
underdogger said:
I do not think so the olive branch and the arrows in the claws are not same as either pictured. :dontknow: :coffee2: rob
The olive branch and the arrows have been switched during history. Some say the head looking at the olive branch would signify peacetime. I cant recall the dates but we cant really date it this way. Most Great Seal buttons have the arrows in the left but some other buttons have arrows in the right. I think its an error in design. The head is also on a swivel. It depends on the manufacturer and there were many.

We had a discussion about it a while back but I cant find it. The search option here does not seem to work properly.

You can only search one word but I found it. Here it is
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,250603.0.html
http://www.snopes.com/history/american/turnhead.asp
 
Upvote 0
underdogger said:
I do not think so the olive branch and the arrows in the claws are not same as either pictured. :dontknow: :coffee2: rob
Looking at this again it appears the same as the 1904 die posted. :D What is different? I need a coffee. :coffee2:
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the effort. I will add it to my collection......;o)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom