This token is driving me nuts!!!

doublet2a

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2007
Lindsay, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite 5", 8" & 10" coils. EXP II 8" & 10" coils with inline Sunray pin pointer. AT Pro 8" & 10" Coils, Equinox 600 10" and 5" coils.
I love tokens, been collecting them for years.This is a nice old style mint token.
Found in Central California at an old house site.
There is cement or something on the token glued right over the letters I need to see.
I have nuked it, soaked it on my super sauce (works great usually) , tried digging and scraping at it with wood.
Just can't get this stuff off.
Soooooooo... has anybody got any ideas as to what it says???
Thanks for the help:thumbsup:

Tim

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 110

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wish I could Timmy,looks like asphaltum tar?

Upvote 0

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try soaking it some gas if its tar it will take it off

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that is tar trying dabbing it with a Q-tip dipped in acetone. I found some old tokens that were caked in the stuff. After soaking them in acetone it came right off.

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I have an obscure idea - could the name be "OESTERLING" and at the bottom maybe "NEB" for Nebraska? There was a Joachim Oesterling who ran a number of hotels in Nebraska in the 1850s-1880s.

What is the era for that style of token?

Though you will probably be able to get some of that stuff off it and it will be something completely different :laughing7:

Upvote 0

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
WTG Brabmlefind!!! The NE Book lists:
J. F. OESTERLING / HARTINGTON / NEB.
GOOD FOR / 5¢ / IN TRADE
27½mm S4 Br

That took a bit of looking in the NE book as there is no index - just one for mavericks which this one isn't. So, in checking the NE towns that end in ON, up pops this one. No dating info or other history is given in the book, and I don't find anyone by that name in the 1900-40 Census in Hartington, NE, but there is John Frank Oesterling who shows up in Norfolk, NE in the 1900 Census and 1911-19 city directories as a harnessmaker and later in Omaha (through 1948) as a motorman on the trolley system. His father was a saloon keeper in Dakota City, NE in 1870, for what that is worth. I have seen this type of token dated to quite a range - 1900 through 1940 or so - and I'd suspect he had a saloon, cigar store, and/or pool hall in Hartington for a relatively short time early in the 1900s.

And, by the way, Tim, after you get the gunk off, how about posting pics of this one on TokenCatalog.com for the good of the hobby? Thanks!

John in the Great 208

Upvote 0

Maggie May

Aug 17, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an obscure idea - could the name be "OESTERLING" and at the bottom maybe "NEB" for Nebraska? There was a Joachim Oesterling who ran a number of hotels in Nebraska in the 1850s-1880s.

What is the era for that style of token?

Though you will probably be able to get some of that stuff off it and it will be something completely different :laughing7:

I was thinking along these same lines, but after studying it for quite some time I think there is a letter before the O in Oesterling. It would then be centered better if there were. The letter looks like something that has a straight right side perhaps an A, K, M, or such. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
doublet2a

doublet2a

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2007
Lindsay, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite 5", 8" & 10" coils. EXP II 8" & 10" coils with inline Sunray pin pointer. AT Pro 8" & 10" Coils, Equinox 600 10" and 5" coils.
I tried acetone and it didn't touch it. Soaked it for a week.
This stuff is hard as a rock.
I was hoping it was from California, since that the area I collect.
I will work on it some more. Maybe a hammer and a chisel :laughing7:.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
doublet2a

doublet2a

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2007
Lindsay, California
Detector(s) used
WTG Brabmlefind!!! The NE Book lists:
J. F. OESTERLING / HARTINGTON / NEB.
GOOD FOR / 5¢ / IN TRADE
27½mm S4 Br

That took a bit of looking in the NE book as there is no index - just one for mavericks which this one isn't. So, in checking the NE towns that end in ON, up pops this one. No dating info or other history is given in the book, and I don't find anyone by that name in the 1900-40 Census in Hartington, NE, but there is John Frank Oesterling who shows up in Norfolk, NE in the 1900 Census and 1911-19 city directories as a harnessmaker and later in Omaha (through 1948) as a motorman on the trolley system. His father was a saloon keeper in Dakota City, NE in 1870, for what that is worth. I have seen this type of token dated to quite a range - 1900 through 1940 or so - and I'd suspect he had a saloon, cigar store, and/or pool hall in Hartington for a relatively short time early in the 1900s.

And, by the way, Tim, after you get the gunk off, how about posting pics of this one on TokenCatalog.com for the good of the hobby? Thanks!

John in the Great 208
Thanks John..
I will do that, I have posted quite a few on there.
Thanks for the help:thumbsup:

Tim

Upvote 0

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tim, I've only been looking at it for a couple of minutes and it's driving me nuts! lol I think John (idahotokens) has the closet answer from what can be gleaned from it as is. Too bad it's not a Cal. token.

Upvote 0

ohiowhiteguy

Oct 11, 2012
clermont county ohio
Detector(s) used
coin master pro,,,Garrett at pro,,, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a pirate walked into a bar.
in front of him was this huge steering wheel attached to him.
the bar tender looked at him and asked what the heck is that for.
he said "ahrrr. it's driving me nuts"
happy hunting...
OWG...

Upvote 0

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old joke but always liked it

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Have you tried one of those jewelers ultrasonic cleaners. it my take it a while to vibrate the crud off, but worth a try.
Cool token
Love finding them.
Good luck

HH

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had success with that type of concretion with a propane torch. When the metal expands, sometimes the crust will just pop off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
doublet2a

doublet2a

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2007
Lindsay, California
Detector(s) used
I've had success with that type of concretion with a propane torch. When the metal expands, sometimes the crust will just pop off.
Hmmm,, You might have something there:thumbsup:

Tim

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread