This year stunk

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, this year for me was not too great from last year. Last year I found so much stuff I felt like a four year-old on sugar!! This year stunk because I didn't go out as much due to work and other things. I didn't even make many videos for YouTube this year because of it.:crybaby2::crybaby2: I went only a few times and even brought my camera on certain occasions but finds were either skinny or not worth to film. Hoping to have a better one next year. GL & HH!!!

Upvote 0

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't have as many good permissions as i did last year.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to say this year was a flop for me as well with only a few Wheaties in some real interesting area's and trash, clad and some costume jewelry everywhere else. Not going to keep me from swinging though ;) Had bad years before and will have'm again.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a low year as well. Guess I'll blame Obama........or global warming. :BangHead: :laughing7:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started my hobby digging everything this year and found a lot of stuff. Also found tons of trash. As I got closer to winter I had upgraded my machine twice. From a Bounty Hunter to a Fisher F2 to a Fisher F5. That was good and bad. With more info I found that I was digging less, but also finding less towards the end of the season. I found that I started second guessing myself while learning my new machines. In the spring the easy stuff was plentiful, but by fall I had recovered most of the easy pickings from my sites. Add to the mix that I am not the only detectorist in my community. I had the luxury of being able to detect 6-8 hours a day throughout the summer. Towards the end I found I was starting to get burned out and started to shorten my hunts because I did not want to lose my love of the hobby. Using the down time this winter to regroup and get ready for 2015. I don't know if I will ever have as good a season as my first, but I am ok with that. I have learned that this is not a race. But rather something to be savored. I get to learn, get outdoors, chat with the folks here, and once in a while get to share some fun finds.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting for about a year and a half now. Been more serious about it the past 6 months, after I joined a local treasure club. My issue is finding enough time to go out. My part of town isn't that old (about 40-45 years old), so there aren't old coins or relics to be found right near me. Thought I'd find a bunch of clad and maybe some jewelry, but in the locations nearest to me, I only found a tiny bit of clad and almost no jewelry (only jewelry I found was a junk jewelry stick pin that looks like a lacrosse stick). I have learned each time I go out, though, and it is still enjoyable to go.

My goal for 2015 is to plan and get out to better, older sites. I may have about the same amount of time to hunt, but I figure it is better to spend less time at quality sites versus a lot of small trips to less-than-desirable sites.

Happy hunting everyone! :treasurechest:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been coming to terms with the fact that I will probably never find the old coins that they are finding back East. We did not even become a state till the late 1800's. Add to that our population of the entire state would not populate one of this countries large cities. So I realize that for where I am, coin shooting and jewelry are probably my best bet. But the trade off is that I get to live in one of the most beautiful states in the nation and have elbow room to breathe. There are some old homesteads here that I plan on hunting next year, so the promise of some older coins is not unreasonable. When I envy those back East for their finds in the 1700's I also realize that it is relative. While they are finding those, there are detectorists that are finding coins from the time of Christ in the UK. So finding a Morgan here is just as big a deal as finding a CSA buckle or a Lord Baltimore back East.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have been coming to terms with the fact that I will probably never find the old coins that they are finding back East. We did not even become a state till the late 1800's. Add to that our population of the entire state would not populate one of this countries large cities. So I realize that for where I am, coin shooting and jewelry are probably my best bet. But the trade off is that I get to live in one of the most beautiful states in the nation and have elbow room to breathe. There are some old homesteads here that I plan on hunting next year, so the promise of some older coins is not unreasonable. When I envy those back East for their finds in the 1700's I also realize that it is relative. While they are finding those, there are detectorists that are finding coins from the time of Christ in the UK. So finding a Morgan here is just as big a deal as finding a CSA buckle or a Lord Baltimore back East.

Well Mike, I am about to releave your boredom!

Check this out: An old man who lived in a log cabin about 100 yards from the red bridge on the Madison River NW of Bozeman hid 2 flour sacks, one filled with $20 gold coins, the other with currency within a 5 minute walk of his residence. He was found dead in his cabin and his accumulated fortune was never uncovered.

Of course, if you just want a small step up, there's the Ghost town of West Gallitan on RR 4 Mi. NNW of Bozeman.
Ft. Ellis 3 Mi. E of Bozeman , Gordon on RR 5Mi. E of Bozeman, Chestnut on RR 8 Mi. E of Bozeman, Balmont on RR 5 Mi. S of Bozeman

Get United States Treasure Atlas Volume # 6 by Thomas P. Terry.
Hope this gives you some insporation, Frank five star.png
111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some years are bad, some are great and most are "OK". I always complain when work gets in the way of detecting until payday.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Frankn! I will look into your leads. I am also looking to hit these two places this spring.

WP_20140816_023.jpg WP_20140816_031.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Thanks Frankn! I will look into your leads. I am also looking to hit these two places this spring.

View attachment 1094451 View attachment 1094452

Hay, that cabin looks good. It would make a great fix up project. There's nothing like living with Mother Nature.
It is beautiful out there. I hit a town called Bake Oven In past years. Only the bakery was still there. Someone was refitting it,
but that was back in '96. Good luck on your hunts. Frank View attachment 1094537

OP
OP
krymesolvr93

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, didn't expect to get this many replies. Miker, hope you have good luck on those places in the pics. White Tornado, good job making a new years detecting plan (which I should do too):laughing7:. CladGrabber, sorry to hear about the permissions, I know the feeling :sad10:. DDancer, Lucky you for finding some Wheaties and costume jewelry. GL & HH!!!! jolly roger.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread