OP
OP
Killedseth

Killedseth

May 23, 2012
Okeechobee, fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I understand around the time Martha died. Roughly one days ride from dc while stopping to water his horse on the north side of the rappahannock river. He found a 4 lb quartz rock laced with what I've found to be 17 pennyweight if gold

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
From what I understand around the time Martha died. Roughly one days ride from dc while stopping to water his horse on the north side of the rappahannock river. He found a 4 lb quartz rock laced with what I've found to be 17 pennyweight if gold

Hmmm... don't recall reading THAT!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"Google" Gold Mining in Stafford County E-17 VA Historical Markers; THANKS for the "ALERT"!

OP
OP
Killedseth

Killedseth

May 23, 2012
Okeechobee, fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting all the reading I've done I've never come across anything about a Native American village. The only concrete evidence I've found was Tjs notes on the state of Virginia where he mentions it but never said he found it, just he knows of it

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
GOLD Mining in Stafford County VA... VA Historic Marker E-17; TJ found QUARTZ rock with pieces of GOLD in it!

OP
OP
Killedseth

Killedseth

May 23, 2012
Okeechobee, fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree stafford county is a good place to start. I know there was a gold vein that runs from Fairfax county out in a south western direction. Until the civil war Virginia was one of the higher gold producing states, but as a result of the war most mines were ransacked and destroyed never to be looked at again. The most interesting thing about this is that this rock was seen glinting in the the setting sun on the north side of the river as his horse drank. My guess is with Martha at home dying he would have been in a hurry to be with her, and using the fast route that done with a horse. I don't know enough about the real history of the area, but I'm thinking the Warrenton? Remington area of the river is my best guess. Now the one days ride is what's bothering me. And would he have stayed at an inn of some kind or kept riding?
You seem pretty knowledgeable what do you think?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I agree stafford county is a good place to start. I know there was a gold vein that runs from Fairfax county out in a south western direction. Until the civil war Virginia was one of the higher gold producing states, but as a result of the war most mines were ransacked and destroyed never to be looked at again. The most interesting thing about this is that this rock was seen glinting in the the setting sun on the north side of the river as his horse drank. My guess is with Martha at home dying he would have been in a hurry to be with her, and using the fast route that done with a horse. I don't know enough about the real history of the area, but I'm thinking the Warrenton? Remington area of the river is my best guess. Now the one days ride is what's bothering me. And would he have stayed at an inn of some kind or kept riding?
You seem pretty knowledgeable what do you think?

TJ is family by blood... Highway 1 was the MAIN Highway, then; but TJ knew "shortcuts". If yer looking for GOLD... check out the river/streams near the "old" GOLD Mines. HH! Good Luck! BTW, I think TJ gave Quartz/Gold "Rock" to Martha per "family legend"; THAT is ALL!

NOW! As to the death of Martha Jefferson... TJ was at home (Monticello); led by his sister to his wife's "dying room", at "the last moments"; according to Monticello historians; contact MONTICELLO for more info.

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Martha Skelton Jefferson died in 1782 and he never remarried, just spent the years with Sally Hemmings. As for gold, Jefferson was in deep debt most of his life. It would stand to reason that if he knew where gold was located, he would have acquired it or at least tried to. This is most likely another folkdale about Virginia...

OP
OP
Killedseth

Killedseth

May 23, 2012
Okeechobee, fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which is about the same time his NOTES ON STATE OF VIRGINIA came out where he talks about a 4lb lump of ore containing 17 pennyweight of gold was found 4 miles south of the falls on a river. Some think rappahannock and others think rapidan river. Please excuse my spelling.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Which is about the same time his NOTES ON STATE OF VIRGINIA came out where he talks about a 4lb lump of ore containing 17 pennyweight of gold was found 4 miles south of the falls on a river. Some think rappahannock and others think rapidan river. Please excuse my spelling.

Not a problem, but so many questions. Could be worth a search. Wonder about river depths then and now, who assayed it, where did the ore go? You know he may have talked about it in his letters(not just in Notes). I think he donated his library to start the Library of Congress. If you know where the letters are, you may want to search them. I don't think they are at the University of Virginia, but they may be. Jefferson was an incredible man. He really cared little for money, he lived life on his terms and enjoyed himself. Very, very possible he investigated this find and sort of put it on the back burner because of so many other things that were taking place in his life. Having said all this, Jefferson ALWAYS managed to find the funds he needed to travel, constantly entertain guests, start a University, have a huge library, pay important debts, buy books, clothes and household goods, help feed himself and his slaves, continually remodel Monticello with new features, entertain and so forth. That money had to come from somewhere and a secret gold deposit may be the answer. I should not be speculatig on something like this with out proof(I teach college history), but he lived well and never sweated it. As a distant relative, you may really be onto something. A deposit of some kind, closeby, worked by a couple slaves, well, anything is possible. SEARCH, you may discover the secret. Check any correspondence and that includes anything written or dictated by Sally Hemming's kids and Jefferson's own daughters(from Martha). Take a little time, but it may save a lot of looking. Anyway, be proud of your bloodline and good luck on your hunt...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
TJ's letters ARE at UVA in Alderman's Library "in the "stacks" - basement; BEEN THERE! TJ did SELL his books after War of 1812; the Brits burned DC... HE (TJ) needed $$$$$$$$$$, so he helped Prez James Madison out. TJ's papers are INTERESTING; HANDLE WITH CARE! Ppl from my "home-town" here (Lynchburg, Va.) helped him out... NOT Gold. Poplar Forest is about 5 miles west in Bedford County, Va. NICE place to walk, meditate...

Now; TJ was a Scientist, a Deist, NEVER a FreeMason; was GREATLY influenced by OLD French Rosicrucians (I was also 12th Degree R+C, in my younger days). NOTHING in "papers" about treasure-hunting (gold, etc); DID request Lewis & Clark to report back to him via ciphers, what they saw on their expedition. TJ personally dug into "Indians" Burial Mound (Monacan, I think), as a SCIENTIST doing an archeological excavation... "google" Thomas Jefferson Ciphers; he used the PATTERSON Cipher, too. "Google" Thomas Jefferson in Lynchburg, Va.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread